How do you do it? I've been messing in 5/4 lately, and it's just been impossible for me to keep a steady count in my head. Any tips?
The official Panamanian-Jamaican-Syrian-Canadian-American-Jew.

Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
I dedicate a large part of my practice schedule to practicing in odd time signatures. I've found the key is repeitition. I know the first time I ever tried playing in other time signatures, I kept catching myself trying to play in 4/4, 3/4, etc. Just keep playing it, first in quarter notes, with just simple 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5, then try 8th notes, with 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and, then move onto sixtenths, etc. The only real way to get it is by playing it over and over, and having that grove become almost second nature. Just keep practicing it, and you'll get it. A metronome helps too!
Quote by Axe720
I dedicate a large part of my practice schedule to practicing in odd time signatures.
Why?
I find 5/4 is a lot easier to count as 1-2-1-2-3 or 1-2-3-1-2. Try keeping count over a song in 5/4 and see what you can come up with that fits the song. Maybe try Take Five?
9/8 is pretty easy to count in for me, its anything thats an odd time sig with a 16 or 32 on the bottom that gets me messing up
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Say and play at the same time..play 5 chords one on each beat then try and go offbeat.

Say ONE AND TWO AND THREE AND FOUR AND FIVE AND,,,,