I'm thinking of trying these picks out, just for a change. I currently use Jazz 3s and I've got a few questions.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79758

Do the picks wear away easily or are they made out of good material?
Are these picks good for shredding?
Which guitarists use these picks?

thanks

Ibanez S2170 Purple Chameleon finish
Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
good picks, don't wear out much. i would call them horrible for shredding, i would go with yellow and under for trying to go all out. i use greens and blues more for acoustic playing.
Tortex last forever. I've used a yellow and a green for about six months, no scratches/scrapes.
Great for shredding, though I'd recommend getting the Purple (1.00 mm I believe) just for the more comfortable thickness.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence[/center[
I love Tortexes, they're really the only pick I use. I prefer the Orange ones, but I used to use the Green ones, who are used by A LOT of guitarists. Off the top of my head, John Frusciante, Billie Joe Armstrong and Kurt Cobain use/used them.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I know Paul Gilbert uses the orange ones (.60) but that's only because he's amazing. If you're using jazz 3's, shredding wont get any easier with duller, bigger and thinner picks.
.88 are used by James Hetfield for all I know.

and 1 mm is blue, not purple
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Picks are picks.

Tortexes are pretty much the standard for picks. They have a pretty long life, plus they're pretty cheap. They have a very nice feel to them too, it smooth, but not very slippery.

You ought to be able to shred with them. It's not the pick that matters, it's the player.

I like the 1 mm and 1.14 mm the most
thanks and whats the jazz 3 pick thickness?

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Kartman
I love Tortexes, they're really the only pick I use. I prefer the Orange ones, but I used to use the Green ones, who are used by A LOT of guitarists. Off the top of my head, John Frusciante, Billie Joe Armstrong and Kurt Cobain use/used them.

Chuck Schuldiner, Corey Beaulieu, James Hetfield, just to name a few others as well.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
ive had a few for months, barely any wear on them
ive switched to the yellow ones though
as for shredding id say theyre good for it
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Baby Joel
Tortex last forever. I've used a yellow and a green for about six months, no scratches/scrapes.
Great for shredding, though I'd recommend getting the Purple (.96 mm I believe) just for the more comfortable thickness.

Fixed. I have about 3 in my wallet...
The Yellows are my pick of choice. Grippy, but not as grippy as ultex and have a nice crispness to the sound.

They can be hard to wear down but if I bash out something fairly aggressive they do start to go a little.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Dude, picks cost 50p a pop in nearly every store. Why not just go down and pick one up to try?

One of the best things I ever did was a couple of years ago, went to a store with fifteeen quid and bought thirty different picks. Didn't pay attention to what they were, just picked them up one by one and gave them all a fair go. 'Tis the best way to work out what suits you best, with everything from picks to guitars and amps.

Quote by randomhero93
Fixed. I have about 3 in my wallet...
Nope, purple Tortex are 1.14mm. The .96mm ones were pink, though they don't make those anymore anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

Nope, purple Tortex are 1.14mm. The .96mm ones were pink, though they don't make those anymore anyway.

oh, my picks got the Gator on them... it's a gator, then it says "DUNLOP U.S.A." .96mm
I have a really thick dunlop pick its a sharp though and pretty thick im not sure though on that i got it from a concert
I prefer the thicker picks. EDIT: Thicker as in purple 1.14mm tortex.

They do last a long time, but not forever, just comparatively long. I like a pointier end on my picks, and I wear it off in about a month. They also develop a chamfer on the end which annoys me. But that's any pick. Tortex picks still develop this, but much slower.

I also use Jazz IIIs but I find they aren't as versatile sound wise.
Last edited by ljohn at Feb 14, 2009,
I use these, or .73mm. I find that they are firm, yet flexible. I think they're great for shred, especially sweep picking. They wear out faster than nylons, however, in my experience at least.
Quote by randomhero93
oh, my picks got the Gator on them... it's a gator, then it says "DUNLOP U.S.A." .96mm
Well, the Gatorgrip picks aren't the Tortex ones, so there you go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I use orange Tortex's, they really do last forever, I've been cycling through the same five or so picks now for a couple years and they're still in great shape.
I also recommend trying out the gator ones.

I use the tortext orange for my thinny's and the gator 2mm for my thickers
Quote by blandguitar
good picks, don't wear out much. i would call them horrible for shredding, i would go with yellow and under for trying to go all out. i use greens and blues more for acoustic playing.

That's the exact opposite of what i use. I use blue for electric/solo, red for acoustic/strumming.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Quote by ZeroChan
That's the exact opposite of what i use. I use blue for electric/solo, red for acoustic/strumming.

I don't know how the orange compares with the red, but yea i use the .60 mm for acoustic strumming, and my 2mm gators for my electiric
I use the orange ones and they are really good for my style of shredding
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Ive been using green Tortext picks for about 5 years now. I used to use fender picks until I got my hands on one of these, and I doubt Ill ever go back.
A new, fresh tortex pick is a great feeling for the hand. That being said, I rarely use new ones just because they last forever. I use the greens which have a tortoise on them. Tortoise, tortex, get it! Eh.....
Yeah, but explain Ultex having a Rhino on it.

Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
The first time I played an electric guitar, I chose those Gator ones, 2 mm thick, cause they had so-called "grip" on them. They sound like hell to me.
I personally like the Jim Dunlop Celluloid Medium ones, or Fender Mediums.
I never thought of Tortex. Do the different sizes correspond to colours?
Imo, It won't get much better than the JazzIII
I used the purple and blue alot in my early playing, but the Jazz is just.. Best for me. Can't even play with the tortex anymore
Why not just stick to the jazz 3s?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I might just stick to Jazz 3s now because I didnt realise that the dunlop tortex picks were similar to the tear drop shape and they also produce more sound when you angle your picking with them.

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
ive spent a lot of time thinking about what pick to use, I am a metal player aiming to shred like the known Gods like Laiho, Wylde, Dime etc ...

i heard a lot of different opinions and never knew what to choose, but one day I heard Zakk Wylde on YouTube say he uses 1mm tortex, so thats what I decided to use (it guarantees that mad shredding is doable with that pick )

so I bought dozens of 1mm tortex picks and every month I throw away the one Im using and grab a new one