Page 1 of 2
I read a thread about impulses the other day, which is basically a way to use a cabinet simulator to mimic miced up cabinets instead of micing up yourself.

I'd like to give this a shot, but they always talk about hooking up a preamp output to a mic preamp. Would this be the same as the effects loop send?

So it would be:

guitar > blackmore > effects loop send into mic preamp > Cubase with cab sim VHT loaded in.

Like that?
WTLTL 2011
I don't think skipping the power section of your amp would sound good at all.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've heard some great results using impulses, I'm just not sure how to hook everything up to make it work.

*edit*

This was recorded with an impulse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniYwtwVPxE

Beats the **** out of my toneport...and I really want to use my blackmore to record.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Feb 14, 2009,
how much would that cost? the tone quality in that video is awesome
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Thats the thing! Its a whole lot cheaper and easier than micing. I've read that its a way to simulate miced cabinet...so you wouldn't need a microphone(s). Amp > preamp > recording program with loaded cab sim + impulse of desired cab.

I just need to know how to hook up my amp to the preamp :S I could hopefully use my toneport as mic preamp.
WTLTL 2011
I've never heard of this before...
But I would have to agree with Kevin.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by cavalier14
I've never heard of this before...
But I would have to agree with Kevin.

Did you check out the example link I posted before? Pretty clear example that it can sound pretty damn good.

I've done some more reading, and it seems I would run a cable from my effects loop out to a mic preamp. I could place my bad monkey in the loop and use the extra line-out on that. Would my toneport work?
WTLTL 2011
if you need a mic preamp its probably to amplify the signal, which i dont think the bad monkey do, my mic preamp can amplify a signal up to 70db

Quote by Jaekae
if you need a mic preamp its probably to amplify the signal, which i dont think the bad monkey do, my mic preamp can amplify a signal up to 70db

Nah the toneport would just be to supply the line-out. Would the toneport be able to function as a mic preamp?
WTLTL 2011
aha okey, thought u meant using the bad monkey instead of a preamp :P It could work but im not sure, do you have the gx model or the one that have a mic line in?

that one have a mic preamp, so you should try it out and if it works post a clip :P

Yes, you can use your effects loop send. Connect it to your interface and load the impulse in a reverb convolution VST or AU, and you're set.
I have aradaz...... DI with your guitar with amp and mic emulator VST, bunch of different mic choices with "distance" options. Never heard of what you're talking about, just throwing it out there.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Sick!

Just so I get this clear.....I would need a cab simulator to load the impulses right? I also need a recording program capable of loading the simulator as a VST.

I'm thinking: Voxengo Boogex into Cubase (which I have)? Then I just need to track down a nice impulse to use with my blackmore

*edit*

guitar > blackmore > effects loop > toneport UX1. Then load Voxengo into Cubase, and an impulse into voxengo? Oh, and select the toneport as my Cubase input...but without booting up the toneports onboard modellers.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Sick!

Just so I get this clear.....I would need a cab simulator to load the impulses right? I also need a recording program capable of loading the simulator as a VST.

I'm thinking: Voxengo Boogex into Cubase (which I have)? Then I just need to track down a nice impulse to use with my blackmore

You've got it.
Boogex is what alot of Cubase guys use.

You need to sign up, but this place is a good source of free impulses: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32&start=75
Quote by Nolly
You've got it.
Boogex is what alot of Cubase guys use.

You need to sign up, but this place is a good source of free impulses: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32&start=75

Thank you, I'll check it out. Did you read my edit? Did I put the chain right? If I did, I'll get on this first thing tomorrow (its 2 am now) and I should have clips up in the afternoon if it works.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't think skipping the power section of your amp would sound good at all.

it sounds fine, if you use a cabinet impulse.

just a few things to remember, you must have a speaker load on the amp. and a cabinet impulse isn't a VHT/VST/whatever, its a .wav file that you pretty much upload into a VHT. i use reaper, and reaper has an amp model effect/plugin that it comes with, and the use the .wav impulse, i drag it into the folder of the amp model VST. it sounded decent when i did it though, i just recorded my pod w/o cabinet emulation, then under the effects there was this random mesa 4x12 impulse i downloaded, and it worked fine for me.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
Thank you, I'll check it out. Did you read my edit? Did I put the chain right? If I did, I'll get on this first thing tomorrow (its 2 am now) and I should have clips up in the afternoon if it works.

I hadn't seen your edit, but I believe it's correct. Just hook up your amp's FX loop send to your interface. Be sure to keep a load connected to the power amp, be it a cabinet or a dummy load. You can turn the master volume all the way off to record silently; some of the ENGLs will even still produce a preamp signal while in standby mode.
I'll keep my cab connected. I'll try two ways:

1. Effect loop out, with master volume set to 0. This should allow for silent recording

if that doesn't work:

2. Bad Monkey OD in the loop, which has a line-out I can use. This won't allow silent recording, but at least it will allow recording...

I hope I can bypass my toneport effects etc, should work if I simply don't turn on gearbox. Then its just the hardware.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G

1. Effect loop out, with master volume set to 0. This should allow for silent recording

if that doesn't work:

2. Bad Monkey OD in the loop, which has a line-out I can use. This won't allow silent recording, but at least it will allow recording...

I hope I can bypass my toneport effects etc, should work if I simply don't turn on gearbox. Then its just the hardware.

1. should work fine. I don't think that 2. would offer any advantages.
Even with the Line6 software loaded, you can select to run the toneport in bypass mode anyway.
Quote by Mark G

if that doesn't work:

come to think of it, you could also try using some of gearbox's cabinet emulation, just for the hell of it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks for all the input, you've helped me so much guys Its been 2 am so I'm off to bed. If anything springs to mind, please drop me a note and I'll check back in the morning. I'll get busy with this tomorrow, and try to get clips up if it works. Might also write an in-depth tutorial on how to set this stuff up if everything works.

Gnite
WTLTL 2011
it works perfectly for me now , my engl fx send -> art tube mic preamp -> soundcard -> reaper with kefir vst plugin to load a impulse,

every different impulse give a different sound, so its endless possibilities, by using different and eqing on the amp etc, best thing with this recording method is that it works to have the amp silent :P

this one i think is the best so far of the one ive tested its for a mesa cab
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Jaekae/music/all/play544637