Ok im looking at getting like a real first amp (the thing i have now is like a crappy no name amp of somesort i got from a friend for 10$)
Theres a Marshall MG30DFX used going for 150 and i was wondering if its worth it for the price or is there another amp that would suit my needs. I mostly play heavier stuff like metallica,pantera,slipknot but i also play alot of classic rock if you could give suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Nah, type marshall MG into the searchbar, that should answer your quesion
50 people are about to compare it to some variation of a dying animal. Look into a Peavey Vypyr, those seem to be popular in that price range.
Last edited by jam979 at Feb 14, 2009,
Just save up, no point in going from one crap amp to another crap amp, everything in that price range, including the MG, is crap. If the amp you have now doesn't work replace it, but otherwise a practice amp is a practice amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The MG would be OK if you are just playing at home, but a Peavey Vypyr would be a better option.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube or a small tube amp, you'll need more money for the tube amp thought.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

marshall mg's seem to get slagged alot although i've never tried one i have heard the 100 watt and it sounded pretty decent. what some people seem to forget is that they have released a new version of the mg's and they could have iorned out all the problems people seem to complain about.
what is your FULL budget TS.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I'd say a MG 10 instead. You don't need 30 watts.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The MG will seem like a good choice at first because you are a beginner but as you get better you'll start to notice how much of a mistake you made lol. I think mine is actually dying right now and it's only a few years old, never gigged and well looked after.
I had the chance to buy a used 100 watt Marshall tube amp for the same price but I passed it up for this piece of crap.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
heres a better solution..use your 150$ and go to thailand...go to the black market and buy 10 vietnamese guys with your money and tie them up....use a machete to remove their intestines whenever you want sound to be produced.

THAT is a better solution over the mg series
Welcome to the forum friend . Try a Peavey Vypr or Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by georgakis187
heres a better solution..use your 150$ and go to thailand...go to the black market and buy 10 vietnamese guys with your money and tie them up....use a machete to remove their intestines whenever you want sound to be produced.

THAT is a better solution over the mg series

THAT IS Fckn DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
THAT IS Fckn DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!

you OBVIOUSLY havent heard a cranked marshall mg if you think THAT is disgusting
Quote by georgakis187
you OBVIOUSLY havent heard a cranked marshall mg if you think THAT is disgusting

i heard it and it is awful but slashing someones intestines...
feel free to add me
NO NO you got me all wrong.....not the beautiful sound of the sharpened, sleak blade piercing the abdomen....the sound they make when they feel the sharpened, sleak blade piercing the abdomen...the horendous screams...ARE WAY BETTER than an mg...

you just stole my thunder mr WTF......
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what is your FULL budget TS.........

ya budjet wise i might have like 250 to spend but thats pushing it 150 is more realistic and i was also looking at a Fender FM 212R 100 Watt although that in general ive heard most fender amps blow but i own a korg ax3g that i use a lot so it might balance it out let me know
Quote by lunetico
ya budjet wise i might have like 250 to spend but thats pushing it 150 is more realistic and i was also looking at a Fender FM 212R 100 Watt although that in general ive heard most fender amps blow but i own a korg ax3g that i use a lot so it might balance it out let me know

Sell the Korg and buy a Peavey Vypyr 30 + sanpera II footswitch
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Sell the Korg and buy a Peavey Vypyr 30 + sanpera II footswitch

this. vypyr OR cube btw.
Quote by georgakis187
NO NO you got me all wrong.....not the beautiful sound of the sharpened, sleak blade piercing the abdomen....the sound they make when they feel the sharpened, sleak blade piercing the abdomen...the horendous screams...ARE WAY BETTER than an mg...

you just stole my thunder mr WTF......

awwww who need s a hug ????

YOU DO !!!!!
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
awwww who need s a hug ????

YOU DO !!!!!

YAY!

no but seriously ts...dont do it.....vypyr/cube/valvetronix>>>>>>mg

in all seriousness.
its strange, people get more responses when they ask about a marshall MG or spider, than if someone asks about the genuinly exciting and important prospect of having like £1000 to spend... its not right!

Ah well
you could also look into the Orange Crush series. they're cheap and quite good for the price.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Quote by vitchb
its strange, people get more responses when they ask about a marshall MG or spider, than if someone asks about the genuinly exciting and important prospect of having like £1000 to spend... its not right!

Ah well

i answer both threads but i like convincing spider/MG n00bs better than listing 10 amps for a guy with over $1000.......

Quote by rtmilster
you could also look into the Orange Crush series. they're cheap and quite good for the price.

this is like Orange's version of the MG....... TS go look for a Vypyr/Cube instead........
feel free to add me
Where's Quailman? This is his job now...

Seriously TS, look at the Peavey Vypyrs, Roland Cubes and Vox VT series or old AD series. They are all very good starter practice amps capable of producing decent tones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Out of those the cube seems to be what im leaning towards most. Would i best off getting a 30w if im just using it for like small garage band type set up.
the 30x gives you more effects and amp models and could give you the benefit of being able to hear over a drum or bass
Don't listen to these people!!! The mg50dfx isn't that bad! People just hate it because it isn't an expensive marshall-atleast try it out for yourself
Quote by familybucket
Don't listen to these people!!! The mg50dfx isn't that bad! People just hate it because it isn't an expensive marshall-atleast try it out for yourself

*sigh*
feel free to add me
Quote by familybucket

you fail pretty badly man
Quote by Hultan
I'd say a MG 10 instead. You don't need 30 watts.

+1. An MG10 is as good as any other amp in it's wattage and price range.

Oh, and if you want a Vypyr/Cube, get the cube.

Vypyrs are overrated, over hyped and sound terrible.
Last edited by Mike! at Feb 15, 2009,
Already said, get a cube, vypyr, or valvetronix. Try them all first, though, cause some people can't stand some of those.