Page 1 of 2
i'm gonna be looking for a new amp to buy after working this summer and all, i have a crate 15w and it's nice, but im looking for a bigger solid state amp for a decent cost. any thoughts?
Types of music you play?

By the way, get a tube amp. Trust me, it is worth it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Genres?

Stupid BlackBerry
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Last edited by cavalier14 at Feb 14, 2009,
Why SS??
Do you gig??
REAL BUDGET??
Genres you play??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i play rock/ metal/ alternative, and i'm not sure but tube amp just never appealed to me, i feel i'd get more my sound via solid state. i was thinking about getting a used randall warhead stack, but i'm not sure.
Quote by blandguitar
i play rock/ metal/ alternative, and i'm not sure but tube amp just never appealed to me, i feel i'd get more my sound via solid state. i was thinking about getting a used randall warhead stack, but i'm not sure.

WELL ANOTHER MR WAYNE STATIC............
what dont you like about tube amps???

well the Randall is meh if you only play Pantera its good for you but for classic rock and rock then NO!!!!
feel free to add me
Everything. Did you ever consider that all solid states amps advertise how 'tube-like' they are? There are a million real reasons, most of them should be in the FAQ at te top of this forum. What's your budget (and what currency is it? we have a lot of international users)?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by blandguitar
why tube amp though? what makes it better?

its much more 'REAL" sounding than SS amps
feel free to add me
i'm not sure what it is that makes me like solid state more, maybe i should dick around a bit more with tube amps. and dimebag is basically my idol for guitar, but i ike to play other more mellow stuff sometime. i pretty much learn pantera and metallica. but i play metallica for james hetfield/ not hammet, i love james's riffs.

m budget is i'm trying to keep in under a grand, or under 1000 US$
Last edited by blandguitar at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by blandguitar
why tube amp though? what makes it better?

Every recording you hear from your favorite bands were played on tube amps.

You are garunteed to never hear a professional recording from a guitarist playing through an MG.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
i don't know, plus tube amps cost more for less power don't they? not that this is a huge focus, but i'd like at least 200-300 watts of power. should i use a preamp? will it affect my stompbox lineup in a good or bad way?
I love my Bugera, i have the 333xl and it plays really well, the cleans are decent, and i haven't had any reliability problems, ive had it for 5 months.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by blandguitar
i don't know, plus tube amps cost more for less power don't they? not that this is a huge focus, but i'd like at least 200-300 watts of power. should i use a preamp? will it affect my stompbox lineup in a good or bad way?

Tube amps volume is usually about double the volume of solid states.

A 5 Watt tube amp would be like a 10 watt solid state volume wise, but it would sound better when cranked.

A 100 Watt tube amp can go too loud for your ears and can make you go deaf.

Basically, tube amps are louder, and sound better at high volumes.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by blandguitar

200 w ?!?!!?!?!?!??!
50w of tube power is enough for gigs.....
Tube amps take stompboxes better than SS amps, IMO

time for the amp recommendations......
seeing that you like thrash metal and classic rock i suggest looking on thesa amps used on Ebay or craigslist......

Peavey XXX combo/Head
Mesa/Boogie F-35/F-50
Mesa/Boogie DC3/DC5
Peavey JSX Head or combo
Peavey 6505+/5150 II Head + a cab with V30's

i suggest a combo if you take your amp to gigs and stuff but a head is also good you can switch it up with diff cabs......
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 14, 2009,
200w will blow your eardrums out. Besides, when you go to huge shows, most people use PA systems now anyways. Yngwie Malmsteen only uses 50w amps, but he also uses a PA system.

What would you need that much power for anyways?
i want more than 50w, personally, i want a ****load of power, and just as much gain. but ill check out those amps, maybe ill go to guitar center ta dick with all their amps, bout the only thing guitar centers good for, testing stuff out.
Quote by blandguitar

You wouldn't be able to turn the amp to 1.5 without being told it's too loud

I cranked my 15W amp to like 5-6 (Out of 12) tonight, in a packed pub and that was more than loud enough (My ears are still ringing) Tube amps are a LOT louder than their SS companions.

Get a tube amp, they just sound more musical and have a much more pleasing sound than SS amps.
Quote by blandguitar
okay, i'll try it all out. plus if i get and don't like it i could give it away or sell it later. so how much do i have to spend for a decent powered tube amp?

for all the amps in my last post they are just about $800 max ($900 if you buy the 5150 II/6505+ and the cab with V30's)
feel free to add me
Quote by blandguitar
okay, thanks. i just want a good amp, with a lower cost, and pretty big power. i can't work with a 15w forever

Pretty much the whole reason I got a tube amp. I thought I was going to need around 50w+ of power. Boy, was I wrong.
i don't really want to have to upgrade again, alot of power with a good amp just sounds like a good idea. but i probably will never need 300w, i should get good before i think about gigging and sh**. but should i do combo amp or a stack?
Quote by blandguitar
i don't really want to have to upgrade again, alot of power with a good amp just sounds like a good idea. but i probably will never need 300w, i should get good before i think about gigging and sh**. but should i do combo amp or a stack?

if you want something portable but heavy go with a combo.....
if you want a good ol'e penis enlargement without surgery go with a Head + a 2x12 cab.........
feel free to add me
Quote by blandguitar
okay, thanks. i just want a good amp, with a lower cost, and pretty big power. i can't work with a 15w forever

Actually you can. I know professional gigging guitarists, who are very professional and fantastic players who use 15w amps... Tube amps, that is.

If you get a 50w tube amp, you'll never get to crank it into that sweet spot. Unless you're playing stadiums...

Quote by blandguitar

A 300w tube amp, will make everyone in the closes mile deaf

Seriously, if you crank a 100 w tube amp at all, even at a concert, the police WILL show up. The same usually goes for a 50w amp...
Last edited by JilaX^ at Feb 14, 2009,
i'd manange to max it out at least once or twice a month, i think i'm gonna go with a stack style over the combo and just bring my 15 to places, since its tiny and all.
Quote by blandguitar
i'd manange to max it out at least once or twice a month, i think i'm gonna go with a stack style over the combo and just bring my 15 to places, since its tiny and all.

A 50 watt stack?

You'd NEVER be able to crank it. Be aware of this. If you even attempt it, you'll basically go deaf + have the cops come complaining.
Quote by tmfiore
Every recording you hear from your favorite bands were played on tube amps.

You are garunteed to never hear a professional recording from a guitarist playing through an MG.

I'm going to call you on Wayne Static of Static X.

TS, Valve is better in most cases. If you're absolutely set on SS, I would suggest saving for a really nice one like a Line 6 Vetta, because you can actually get some very good tones out of the higher end solid state market. If you want to be ridiculous, look into Hughes and Kettner's higher end solid state, it's called the Zanteria or something similar.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

TS, Valve is better in most cases. If you're absolutely set on SS, I would suggest saving for a really nice one like a Line 6 Vetta, because you can actually get some very good tones out of the higher end solid state market. If you want to be ridiculous, look into Hughes and Kettner's higher end solid state, it's called the Zanteria or something similar.

+1
and its called Zentera......
feel free to add me
Ah, knew I was close.

EDIT: Well I did say it was ridiculous, and I think the Vetta is a decent solution if he saves for a used one.
i'd look at some of the different bugeras. my personal favorite is the 333, but i'd look into the different ones. 50 watts tube is more loud than you could ever imagine, and soon you'll need to learn to use less gain. so yeah, either some new bugeras, or some used peaveys would do you good. i'd also look for some jcm900's, not a whole lot of gain but you can boost one. i saw a 100w 1x12 jcm900 combo at my store going for 630 bucks. btw im assuming were talking US dollars rite?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

That guy uses MG's? The amp that I am going to trade in?

I must listen.

EDIT: I am still going to sell my MG.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 2