Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I've decided to learn sweep picking.
Any tips to help? I'm not real into paying attention to technique during videos, so any help with it would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas to help me here?
I'm trying to learn the first sweep pattern to This War Is Ours by Escape The Fate as my first sweep.

D|----------------9p5-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------7---------7-------------------------------------------------------------------
F|---------6----------------6-----------------------------------------------------------------
C|-----7-----------------------7-------------------------------------------------------------
G|-9-------------------------------9--------------------------------------------------------
C|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, any help would be appreciated.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
go to the advanced techniques (?) forum and find the sweep picking thread
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
Search?
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by blandguitar
play real guitar and dont sweep, come on. just pick it out. i'd rather play slow than sweep.

Why is it that we expect violinists to be able to play across multiple strings with one bow stroke, but guitarists are vilified if they try to do the analogous technique? It's ridiculous. Being able to sweep isn't being incapable of playing "real guitar." As a matter of fact, it makes you a better guitarist, despite what some would have you believe. There is nothing wrong with having good technique on guitar. It makes you better equipped to say what you want to say on the instrument. You wouldn't expect a writer to have a limited vocabulary and a barely-functioning sense of grammar, would you?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by blandguitar
play real guitar and dont sweep, come on. just pick it out. i'd rather play slow than sweep.

You just can't do it, can you?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Why is it that we expect violinists to be able to play across multiple strings with one bow stroke, but guitarists are vilified if they try to do the analogous technique? It's ridiculous. Being able to sweep isn't being incapable of playing "real guitar." As a matter of fact, it makes you a better guitarist, despite what some would have you believe. There is nothing wrong with having good technique on guitar. It makes you better equipped to say what you want to say on the instrument. You wouldn't expect a writer to have a limited vocabulary and a barely-functioning sense of grammar, would you?

You won the internet with that. +1
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Why is it that we expect violinists to be able to play across multiple strings with one bow stroke, but guitarists are vilified if they try to do the analogous technique?

then pick up a violin, and i've never tried to learn sweeping, it's basically cheating. if that's possible. if you want notes from all over then move you fricken left hand.
Quote by blandguitar
then pick up a violin, and i've never tried to learn sweeping, it's basically cheating. if that's possible. if you want notes from all over then move you fricken left hand.

(we now know who tried and failed at sweep picking. LOL)
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

+2
sweep picking isnt cheating or anything. it makes some really cool sounds that otherwise wouldnt be possible.

and off topic, but I agree with your sig about the metallica song.
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Quote by blandguitar

It's not at all cheating.
It's just an extremely advanced technique to play an arpeggiated chord, and then play it again, but reversed.
Again, I will maintain that you're just bitter about not being able to do it.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by blandguitar
i've never tried to learn how to sweep. i'd finger pick everything before that. sweeping is for people that fail to play fast and just try to act like they can.

That's a ****ty argument since you have to be able to play fast to sweep.
And don't diss fingerpicking, it rocks.
I think it's fairly obvious that you're closed minded/suck at guitar.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by blandguitar
i've never tried to learn how to sweep. i'd finger pick everything before that. sweeping is for people that fail to play fast and just try to act like they can.

Dude what the hell is your problem?
Sweep picking is NOT easy. Do you have any idea how long it takes to devolp the cooridination?
You know what, try to learn it. Seriously. And if you still think its a cheating form of playing, then you are obviously so full of yourself that you are a disgrace to the human race and should no longer exist on this planet for the shame you cause to us.
(\__|)

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Quote by blandguitar
im not dissing finger picking, james hetfield does it and he's one of my favorite guitarists. and sweeping is still for people that cant pick it out.

My God your hopeless.
You have got to be one of the most closed minded people on this planet.

Sweep picking is not in any way, shape, or form a cheating method! It alows you to play accross all the strings hitting different notes at a fast speed. Can you do that with regular alternate picking? NO! Try playing a sweep picking part in a song without actually sweeping it. Then tell us what you think.
(\__|)

He's trolling.

*reported* *Lemon says I have to tell people when I do.*

Just keep practicing your sweeping very slowly where it sounds perfectly clean. Keep doing whatever it is that's making it nice and clean and eventually it'll become a habit to do it cleanly and you'll have admirable technique.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Last edited by ComradeIronMan at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by blandguitar
im not dissing finger picking, james hetfield does it and he's one of my favorite guitarists. and sweeping is still for people that cant pick it out.

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by blandguitar
Wrong, on so many levels. Sweep picking will give you a different sound from alt. picking each note. Look at Paul Gilbert for example. Most people in their right minds would agree that he is more than capable of picking 'properly', but he also sweeps every now and then. Sometimes it's just plain easier to sweep things quickly. There is no cheating when it comes to guitar. Just do what's easier, because if you choose the hard way just to brag about how much more skillful it is, it's obvious that you're only playing to show people up.
Quote by ComradeIronMan
He's trolling.

*reported* *Lemon says I have to tell people when I do.*

Just keep practicing your sweeping very slowly where it sounds perfectly clean. Keep doing whatever it is that's making it nice and clean and eventually it'll become a habit to do it cleanly and you'll have admirable technique.

+1, he must've just signed up now just to do so...
Play it slowly, keep proper muting technique, and try to keep both hands in sync.
Just have a loose right hand while you go along.
...Check youtube, there are many in depth guides about it. There should be many on here too.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by blandguitar

Sweeping makes you a better guitarist, it helps your control a lot.
ಠ_ಠ
Wow, there are some close minded idiotards on these boards. It almost reminds me of a teenage gaming argument that using (INSERT WEAPON HERE) is a cheap way to get a kill in (INSERT GAME HERE). Sweep picking is a tool and guitar is a weapon....why the hell not use all the available tools? Some kick as$ stuff has been done with sweep picking.
12---------------------12h15p12--------------------------------------------------
---13---------------13---------------------------------------------------------------
------12---------12------------------------------------------------------------------
---------14---14---------------------------------------------------------------------
------------15------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a C major sweeps picksings arpegeego, according to Skwisgar Skwigelf. That pattern is how I learned how to sweep pick.

I must be an alien then cause i can do both.
Quote by Ikonoklast
I must be an alien then cause i can do both.

Excuse me sir, but may i ask you to refrain from feeding the animals in our troll exhibit....
You should look for the tab on here of Richie Kotzen's Rock chops. There is a really cool sounding Cmaj sweeping progression that uses some more awkward fingerings that will probably help.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Alternate picking is cheating for not picking down fast enough! *Sarcasm alert*
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
the best way to start learning sweep picking is not to start with something hard. im just starting learning sweeping and i say start with something thats a 3 string sweep. a 5 string sweep is just going to be frustrating. heres the two im working on:

[e]—-----5-7p5----------
[b]----6---6------------
[G]------5--------------
[D]---------------------
[A]---------------------
[E]---------------------
ahhh that was my mistake! first thing I tried to sweep was the intro of diminished to B by necrophagist -_-; but I mean I suppose that was alright...cause I practised it slowly loads, then once I got the co-ordination I tried countless times to play with the original (I did get there eventually!)

what you need to do is get your finger positions right first, so make sure it's comfortable, and then practise at a slow but steady speed to get your co-ordination up.

I still find it quite tricky myself at times, I don't know about anyone else but I don't like to sweep a lot, otherwise it does make you look like you're just showing off/doing guitar tricks, but just adding it in every now and then to your soloing or forming a cool riff based of a sweep is how it should be used imo.
Quote by Hot Jam Sushi
I still find it quite tricky myself at times, I don't know about anyone else but I don't like to sweep a lot, otherwise it does make you look like you're just showing off/doing guitar tricks, but just adding it in every now and then to your soloing or forming a cool riff based of a sweep is how it should be used imo.

True indeed, you do have to be very careful with sweeping during solos, very few people can pull it "doing it all the time" off well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, on the plus, after a day, I'm pulling off a decent 5-string sweep, but my right index finger (I'm a lefty) hurts like ****.
Any idea why?

Also, only when I'm practicing sweeping, never anything else.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Well, on the plus, after a day, I'm pulling off a decent 5-string sweep, but my right index finger (I'm a lefty) hurts like ****.
Any idea why?

Also, only when I'm practicing sweeping, never anything else.

Maybe you're applying too much pressure on the index finger?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by blandguitar

I'm sorry. But this brands you as a complete dickhead.

There is no cheating.

Sweep picking sounds different to alt picking or legato, it's like having a comprehensive tool set rather than a screwdriver and a hammer. If you want the sweep picking sound, then you have it available.

Also, I said there was no cheating. There is no cheating. It is impossible to have cheating. Guitar is an instrument, not a race.

If there was a way to use feet to hit wider intervals faster on a piano, people would be doing it.

Just like that, sweeping provides a way to play an arpeggio with intervals difficult or impossible to pull off any other way.

It is also very hard to do, it took a long time to learn. If anything, I find it harder then legato runs, but in some situations, sweeping provides the sound I want to express.

Just to reiterate, if someone can play faster than you, don't envy them, appreciate the music. Otherwise Paul Gilbert's picking speed and Joe Satriani's legato would fall under your definition of cheating. Speed doesn't count for squat in the end if your just trying to show off.
Quote by TatarSalad2
12---------------------12h15p12--------------------------------------------------
---13---------------13---------------------------------------------------------------
------12---------12------------------------------------------------------------------
---------14---14---------------------------------------------------------------------
------------15------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a C major sweeps picksings arpegeego, according to Skwisgar Skwigelf. That pattern is how I learned how to sweep pick.

Umm... D Major dude.

To the TS, Check my sig for sweeps once you get the idea of it.
Pretty sure that's C major, unless you tune up a whole step.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Umm... D Major dude.

Interesting. I see E, C, G, E, C, E, G, C, E, G, and E there. No D, F#, or A.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Interesting. I see E, C, G, E, C, E, G, C, E, G, and E there. No D, F#, or A.

Maybe he was talking about the Duncan Hills Coffee song... isn't the song in D minor though?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Umm... D Major dude.

No. It's C major alright.

On Topic: I find 5 string sweeps to being significantly easier than 3 string sweeps. And that C major arpeggio was the first pattern I used. You can even incorporate some tapping into it and it'll sound even better. Also, check out the shred exercises that are here somewhere. They have some pretty cool sweeping lessons.
Page 1 of 2