Alright, I'm planning to get a job this summer, and, as my band has three guitarists and no bass, I've been heavily considering buying a bass and amp if I get enough from the job. Anyway, long story short, I need recommendations on gear. Not sure what budget is, but try to keep it reasonable. Style(s) are a bit of everything, but mainly metal(Though as my guitar setup kept up, heavy gain isn't a must from the amp), rock and blues. I prefer thicker necks as long as they aren't 40's-jazzbox-thick, no more than the basic four strings on the bass, and otherwise anything is fine as long as pickups are passive. Amp I just need something loud enough to be heard for band practice/Saturday night club gigs.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
May I ask why you insist the pickups be passive?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Orange crush series amps are great value and pretty loud idk about the bass though, just go try some out
Quote by WhyLater
May I ask why you insist the pickups be passive?

With guitar, my technique sounds awful on active pickups and occasionally high-output pickups. I'm not completely sure, but from what I've learned from playing basses at GC, the techniques I use resemble each other between the two instruments, so I assume it would similarly sound awful. Not positive though, so please correct me if wrong. Besides that, I prefer lower-output pickups.

Quote by noddy-whack
Orange crush series amps are great value and pretty loud idk about the bass though, just go try some out

Well, I do like Orange's stuff, and if it's better than the guitar Crush amps...will take a look at those.

yeah ive got the crush 35-B its hellishly loud for a 35 watt, nat a bad sound either, you can get great funk sounds, a really good pop or the opposite you can have insane amounts of bass too, the gain doesnt do too much seing as its solid state so the gain just increasees volume further really
Quote by noddy-whack
yeah ive got the crush 35-B its hellishly loud for a 35 watt, nat a bad sound either, you can get great funk sounds, a really good pop or the opposite you can have insane amounts of bass too, the gain doesnt do too much seing as its solid state so the gain just increasees volume further really

Excellent, sounds like that resolves the amp half then. As for the gain, I have a Big Muff, and I let the prospective bassist that decided he didn't want to do anything much more than jamming with it use it with his bass since I've heard of people doing it, and it sounded pretty good, so gain isn't a problem.

awesome, electro-harmonix are great pedals and yeah its a good sounding amp with pedals i use it for my guitars and bass, ive got a fender tele and strat and they sound great through it
Quote by noddy-whack
awesome, electro-harmonix are great pedals and yeah its a good sounding amp with pedals i use it for my guitars and bass, ive got a fender tele and strat and they sound great through it

Excellent, just need to decide on the bass now...

I mean yeah, some people just prefer passive to active, but seeing as how you were coming from guitar I didn't know if you knew what you were talking about. I don't think the difference is as big on basses - I do know that active basses suit my technique perfectly. It sounds like you will prefer passive, but I'd say go try out some actives some more, just to be sure. Mainly because I would recommend an Ibanez Soundear to you, but it's active.

As for that amp... I'm going to have to veto it. $200 for 35W out of a 10" - and Orange doesn't make spectacular bass amps either. To be fair, I've never played that particular amp, but I'm going to say you're going to need at least 100W. I'm sure you know, but a bass needs a lot more power to be amplified than does a guitar.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
There's no way a 35 watt amp will stand up against 3 guitars and a drummer. As far as an amp goes you're going to need somewhere around the 100-200watt mark, more if you can afford it, 35 watts is a bedroom practice amp.

As far as basses go if you like a thicker neck definately check out Warwick, you can usually get a decent price on a Corvette standard if you don't mind going second hand. Although that being said, it's down to what you like or don't so just try as many basses and amps as you can and go from there
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by WhyLater
I mean yeah, some people just prefer passive to active, but seeing as how you were coming from guitar I didn't know if you knew what you were talking about. I don't think the difference is as big on basses - I do know that active basses suit my technique perfectly. It sounds like you will prefer passive, but I'd say go try out some actives some more, just to be sure. Mainly because I would recommend an Ibanez Soundear to you, but it's active.

As for that amp... I'm going to have to veto it. $200 for 35W out of a 10" - and Orange doesn't make spectacular bass amps either. To be fair, I've never played that particular amp, but I'm going to say you're going to need at least 100W. I'm sure you know, but a bass needs a lot more power to be amplified than does a guitar.

Strange, they appear to be passive...well, what about a used MIM J-bass?

Aye, I figured that much, which was why I factored it out originally. Are there any specific ones you'd recommend though?

Quote by faultyy
There's no way a 35 watt amp will stand up against 3 guitars and a drummer. As far as an amp goes you're going to need somewhere around the 100-200watt mark, more if you can afford it, 35 watts is a bedroom practice amp.

As far as basses go if you like a thicker neck definately check out Warwick, you can usually get a decent price on a Corvette standard if you don't mind going second hand. Although that being said, it's down to what you like or don't so just try as many basses and amps as you can and go from there

Any recommendations? Also, it's two guitars as I'm one of them at the moment.

Hmm...how much would one cost?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 14, 2009,
Bump of desperation.

Quote by necrosis1193
Strange, they appear to be passive...well, what about a used MIM J-bass?

Aye, I figured that much, which was why I factored it out originally. Are there any specific ones you'd recommend though?

Any recommendations? Also, it's two guitars as I'm one of them at the moment.

Hmm...how much would one cost?

A wicky? The cheapest I've seen in $900CAD used (toronto craigslist) MiMs are give or take $600US, new. You may want to start stalking ebay and craiglist... there's an MIA p-bass going for $100CAD, if they aren't lying about it.

If you're willing to try active again, there's the Ibanez sr series, too. They have really thin necks, so you may not like them.

EDIT: not very useful... but it's late and I tried
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Feb 15, 2009,
Hmm...there's a Korean Jazz bass on the local craigslist that says Fender(not Squier) for $165. Thoughts?

Thats a pretty good deal. I might go for it. You should also try out the Squier 70's VM Jazz Bass. There's a reason they're so fapped over around here.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I'd say go used. You can always find much better equipment used than you can new. I've said this many times before, and I'll continue to say, that old 80's-90's Peavey stuff is far and away the best deal you'll find anywhere, though some other brands are up there with them. Look for Sunn, old Acoustic, Carvin, and stuff from old companies that went under like this beast.
Nope, no sig here.