Title says it all

I thought it was b standard for a 6 string but then some of the stuff didn't match up when I tried to learn Now I Lay Thee Down. I adjusted a little and got it but I have NO IDEA what the tuning is called.

Help on what tunings Machine Head has used?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by Colgate Total
C#... ? Could be C standard.

Idk. Tried B standard and the low b string matched up but the rest of the strings were a bit off. I was thinking b standard down a half step but I'm not sure.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Drop C
Drop B
C# Standard

EDIT: Now I Lay Thee Down is in Drop B
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Feb 14, 2009,
from what i have seen it is usually drop B or D standard...i could be wrong mind just play around
I have always worked out MH songs in conventional Drop B tuning, they might have gone up a quarter tone in between C and B according to rumour though.
The Blackening is all in Drop B apart from Aesthetics of Hate which is in C# standard as far as I'm aware.

also if you have the special edition I'm pretty sure their cover of Battery is in C# as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
machine head, like other metal bands (ever try playing fade to black?), is known to play things in "in-between" tunings... meaning they are tuning to a particular frequency rather than a note (typical is A440). basically, they are off-setting their entire tuning by somewhere in the ballpark of 1/4 step.

your best bet is to find an open note in the song (any one will do) and tune to it, then tune the rest of the guitar by ear to play along
According to an interview HERE:

We play in drop B tuning +40 cents for most songs and C# standard +40 cents for a handful of others. For a few songs (“Ten Ton Hammer” and “Left Unfinished&rdquo we tune the 3rd string up a half-step for an evil 5th fret harmonic.
For those of you confused, bust out your spiffy electronic tuner (I have a cheap ass handheld Korg tuner that I've had for over a decade now) and where it says "Frequency: A440" (or just 440) turn that up to 480, then tune your guitar to drop B or C# depending on the song. On my tuner it says "Calib" in between an up and down arrow to adjust this.

Viola.
Last edited by broc5k at Oct 6, 2011,
Some bastard tuning just between Drop B and C, I believe. I'll try and find the video Robb says it in.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube