So, as the title says, I'm pretty new to indie. I'm not exactly sure where to start out, though, since there's so many bands out there. What bands should I check out?
Since when is indie a genre? Indie is just short for independant, which means ''without a record label''.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
Since when is indie a genre? Indie is just short for independant, which means ''without a record label''.

a while ago yeah, but the words changed meaning pretty much so there's no reason to be overly pedantic
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
(poser)

I'm not a poser. What does wanting music recommendations have to do with being a poser? Am I suddenly considered a phony because I'm trying to expand my horizons musically?
Quote by Flipaningage
a while ago yeah, but the words changed meaning pretty much so there's no reason to be overly pedantic

I wasn't trying to be pedantic, I was just wondering. I get confused when people talk about indie as if it were a genre.

Damn you for making me look in a dictionary.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Dinosaur Jr.
The Pixies
Sonic Youth
Joy Division
My Bloody Valentine
Pavement

Depends what you're looking for.

There's a stickied thread with some bands to check out here.
Quote by Froboarder
I wasn't trying to be pedantic, I was just wondering. I get confused when people talk about indie as if it were a genre.

Damn you for making me look in a dictionary.

Well, do you want me to use more specific terminology?
Quote by Holy Katana
Well, do you want me to use more specific terminology?

Anal would have sufficed. And ease up on the hostility.
Quote by angus fan16
check out the stickied alt & indie essentials thread

but as that's just albums, i'll give you a couple of indie bands to check out...

Guided by Voices
Pavement
Yo La Tengo
Sonic Youth