Page 1 of 2
I personally don't play bass but I know a decent number of bassists. Every bassist I know started out on a standard guitar and then thought they really sucked but still wanted to play a guitar so picked up a bass. All of these bassists are also nothing to write home about.

So I was just wondering is this true for alot of bassists? Don't take it the wrong way I'm only basing this on a small group of bassists in my neighboorhood.
YOU ARE NOW MANUALLY BREATHING!

Quote by Toxicity3431
Bro, you needs you a streetsweeper. Huntin and defense right there.

Quote by The.new.guy
You, sir, are good.
Originally, i was going to play guitar for FCA with the band, but our lead guitarist was really good. He planned on playing his bass, but he ended up playing his strat, and i played bass. I had never played bass before, but thought it was fun, played bass a couple of times with my Youth Group worship band and am now planning to get one. The one i use at church belongs to one of my friends, i'm getting an Ibanez.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
It's this funktastic mother funker's fault...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpMCdEVLtjA
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Last edited by GNiCk89 at Feb 14, 2009,
Peace Sells... but whos buying?
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
ive known a few bassists with that same general story. i think many are drawn to play the music that they listen to like most all musicians do in the beginning and the bass seems like a less intimidating and complex way to reap the enjoyment of rocking out to a beginner, if only on a subconscious way at first even if the bassist in question takes it up seriously and continues on to be very skilled at playing his instrument. im not trying to say that in the end the people that master guitar have any more skill than people that master bass. im just saying that at the begining of musical development the learning curve is much more steep on guitar to get to a level of competence with the instrument that it takes to play some music. which is everybodys goal in the beginning.
I always wanted to play bass, ever since I heard Rush. I ended up getting an acoustic guitar because it was free, I didn't really like it that much, when I finally did get a bass, it just clicked and I loved playing it.
I had an opportunity to get a bass for cheap and my friend plays guitar. I also always loved the sound of the bass in Black Sabbath and a couple Metallica intros, so bought the bass and enjoy playing.
Quote by Sylvanus
I always wanted to play bass, ever since I heard Rush. I ended up getting an acoustic guitar because it was free, I didn't really like it that much, when I finally did get a bass, it just clicked and I loved playing it.

After seeing Getty lee play, who wouldn't want to play bass???

Anyhow, I started playing bass after playing guitar for about a year. I would go crazy when I would hear a really cool bass line, and not be able to play it. in general, I just wanted more versatility.
I've been playing for a couple months, and I really like is so far--though I dont think I'll ever like it more than guitar.
Searchbar my friend! I personally started a thread with the same exact title and a poll. BOOYAH
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I loved the groove. I started on bass and moved to guitar. Guitar is fun and all, but I'd be happy to play bass in a band, just for the thumping rhythm and groove.
my drummer buddy and guitarist ex-buddy were trying to form a band, which i was originally going to be playing keyboards (lol) in, but they couldnt find any bassists so i bought one (having never seriously tried to play a guitar or bass before) and here i am now, 10 months later
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I wanted to put bass tracks on my guitar recordings, but now I play both just as much.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I felt like learning another instrument, and the string spacing on guitar felt awkward.
moved to new neighborhood didnt know anyone was really bored so my dad bought me a bass to occupy my time, got more serious when a friend needed a bassist for his band during 9th grade
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
started teaching myself guitar, started getting bored. borrowed mates bass... n although it was just messing round on easy songs, i immediately enjoyed it more.

sadly he wanted it back... so im teaching myself piano till i can afford to buy a bass (yes... the keyboard is borrowed off someone... )
i was listening to a lot of muse (like hysteria and supermassive black hole) and tarot and that just got me going about bass. i told my friend about it (who plays guitar) and he said go for it, so i did
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Sophmore year in high school, two of my good friends each got an electric guitar, I was interested in joining with them, they told me to buy a bass. Best $150 I ever spent (gig pack with an amp which I still use).
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Loved the sound of the bass and there is so many guitar players around here, got a bass kit for my birthday and 4 years later im still playing. [With different gear though, haha]
I already played tuba and trombone, so I could already read bass clef. I didn't really know that you could learn an instrument without reading sheet music, and my laziness determined that I wasn't going to learn treble clef so I went with bass to try to be one of those cool rock and roll fellas.
i started to get annoyed with higher pitched notes after 7 years of playing the flute.
then i got into more bands with distinctive bass in them eg, muse, nightwish, tarot, queen and started to enjoy it more and more
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Feb 15, 2009,
it came to me in a dream
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I started off as a drummer but after i left that i wanted to play guitar. Fortunatley my brother played bass so i kinda took it up, although i play guitar and bass for different bands.
Already played electric guitar, wanted to start a band but we didnt have a bass player, my brother had a bass he never used.

And I've never looked back
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I took up bass as another instrument on top of my trumpet, not cause i was playing guitar, or "couldnt".

I really dont like this attitude of people like, oh right i couldnt play guitar so i plays de bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I was walking to Tesco's with a purple mohawk, leather jacket and big ear-muff headphones. Felt that if I didnt learn some kind of rock instrument the universe would implode from unfufilled cliche. Drums too awkward, singing is lame. So guitar or bass - and everyone played guitar. Bass sounded more fun. But I decided from the start I wouldn't be a root note sucker. Since then I've noticed that every band I REALLY like - Led Zep, GnR, Tool, Kyuss, The Who, Rush, have a wicked bassist. So all hail the low end. Sounds like MAN! YEAH!
I never played guitar before I picked up bass, I was born funky.

Also, there are too many guitarists and not enough bassists in the world.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I grew up in the era of 70's & 80's arena rock and home stereos with giant speakers. The source of power was always the bass. Crank it up. I started with bass guitar 30 ago and I still love the powerful and majestic sound.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by sergc118
friends told me id get all the ladies...

how wrong they were...
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Because the power to cause orgasm with the power of sound was too much to resist...

...and bass is just so fun to play
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm quite certain I've posted in something like this before... Oh well!
My friend and I were starting a ska band! I had been playing guitar for two years by the time we got around to it, and we had a drummer and a trombone. My friend sang and played tenor sax (he is freaking insane on his sax!), but we had another friend who played guitar, so we figured we'd ask him to play bass for us. We wrote one song, I played guitar on it and he played bass. He absolutely hated it! He still hates playing bass to this day. So for a year we fought about who would play bass, until I finally realized he wouldn't give in I said I would play bass. I started playing and although I have written a few songs that I'll play guitar on I typically play bass.

I've been playing bass for two years now. Guitar for five, but I'm just as good on bass, although I've been told I'm better than I am on guitar. I don't care, I love my new bass more than my guitar, but don't tell him that.

Also I don't know if this is true for everyone, but when I play my guitar I lose any emotion I feel. I'm just playing notes and chords and while I smile when I play I don't feel any extra emotions. But when I play my bass I never stop smiling! Although there were a few times when playing my bass when I've began to cry for no reason whatsoever. Those reasons are why I stick with my bass. Bass makes me euphoric and guitar just makes me happy.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
My dad's a drummer and my brother's a guitarist, so I was raised in a musical environment. I wanted to get involved, but I wanted something to call my own.

I thought about the bands I listen to and what I like about them. Bass was the answer as I wanted to contribute to the rhythm while manipulating the melody. I got a starter kit almost a year ago and haven't looked back (I've upgraded my rig since then).

I can't explain the feeling of being able to control the ebb and flow of the music. People always ask me "Why did you choose bass? Everyone plays guitar, bass is boring". This always brings a smile to my face, because they answered their own question.
Page 1 of 2