Page 1 of 2
I am looking for an amp to buy. I want a 15-30w amp, and I would rather have few FX so I could get more power with a lower price. I have read reviews for Frontman and MG series amps, but they don't seem to be to good.

What are quality brands? I know that Marshall and Fender amps are good, but not sure about what other brands are good quality. I also want the price to be around $300-400 New Zealand currency.

As for sound, I paly hardcore punk, classic punk, alternative etc. Mostly old My Chemical Romance ,Fall Out Boy and Green Day, but I have recently become interested in The Sex Pistols.

I use an Epiphone SG G400, with stock pickups. The amp I have at the moment is a Line 6 Spider III 15w, but I am looking for a better brand and higher wattage. I am also saving for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top, so I want an amp complimenting this. I use Boss OS-2 and Boss PH-3 FX.

I am planning on getting a set of Phat Cats for my SG, and once I get the LP, Duncan SH-1 humbuckers.

Any ideas?
Last edited by lao123 at Feb 14, 2009,
Vox AD30VT/ VT30- best option..........
Peavey Vypyr 30
Roland Cube 30x
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I like my amp.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Peavey Vypyr 30
Roland Cube 30x

This.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Peavey Vypyr 30
Roland Cube 30x

This basically covered everything.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Please please please consider tube.

I'd wait for the new Vox AC4TV. 4 watts, all tube, built in attenuator for 1/4, 1 and 4 watts.

Tube tone and Vox taste, MMM.

But if you insist on modeling amps, the Vox VT is nice. The Cube would be better than the Vypyr, in my opinion.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Quote by lao123
This may sound idiotic, but what is a tube amp?

look at teh stickeiz.............. its an amp with tubes to powr it up it gives amps its "organic" sound.........
feel free to add me
Roland Cube FTW.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Ok so thats what a tube amp is... I'd rather have a modeling amp.
Quote by Greenwood991
I like my amp.

I too, like his amp. Don't know what it would cost in New Zealand though.

Super champ ftw
Just looked up the cube... I knew Roland was a good brand, but I thought their amps were bad... I eat my words.
Well the cube I saw was the 20X, its 400 and good. I think my dad would take my Spider III for $200. Damn saving for guitars.
Quote by lao123
Well the cube I saw was the 20X, its 400 and good. I think my dad would take my Spider III for $200. Damn saving for guitars.

the 30x is 10 times better than the 20x it has moar amp models effects and the power sponge...
feel free to add me
Quote by lao123
Ok so thats what a tube amp is... I'd rather have a modeling amp.

...why?
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by lao123
I don't like waiting...

wut..........
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the 30x is 10 times better than the 20x it has moar amp models effects and the power sponge...

You mean the Power Squeezer? If so the 20X has it...
wut?

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by lao123
You mean the Power Squeezer? If so the 20X has it...

well the 30x have more amp models......
feel free to add me
I don't really care about FX, my phaser will do for now... I'm planning on getting a DD-3 as well.
Quote by lao123
I don't really care about FX, my phaser will do for now... I'm planning on getting a DD-3 as well.

well what is the point of buying a modeling amp if you dont want the effects...
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well the 30x have more amp models......

And its costs another $150... Even though it is on special at the same price as the 20X, I am not buying till, after I get my LP which will be April hopefully?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well what is the point of buying a modeling amp if you dont want the effects...

Well, I don't want a tube amp, i can't be bothered waiting for things. And a stack would be a bit OTT. I just don't want/need all the chorus/flange/phaser. It just bumps up the price, but the 20x has those and a good price.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wut..........

According to the sticky I read, tube/valve amps have to heat up. I'm to lazy.
Quote by lao123
According to the sticky I read, tube/valve amps have to heat up. I'm to lazy.

it only takes a minute or 30 seconds
feel free to add me
Quote by lao123
I'll read about them on wikipedia then... lolz

wikipedia = falz infurmation......
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wikipedia = falz infurmation......

But mostly true...
Ok I'm not very careful with my stuff, so the fragile glass tubes don't suite me. And my 15w amp is heavey enough...
dude its all encased. as long as you dont drop your amp out of any two story buildings it will be fine.

And about standby, really, you can just turn on standby, put on your guitar, turn on the pedals you want, set the amp how you want, and by that time its heated up.

Its really irrational to sacrifice tone for 30 seconds of waiting.

Edit: there are valid reasons for getting a solid state, but if you dont need effects built into it, dont bother with rolands and the like. If you want decent tone but with a solid state, get a SS without modulation effects like an older SS fender.

In fact im intrigued in getting a SS then putting a dist pedal infront of it as that is what Johnny Greenwood(my favorite guitarist) does for his distorted tones.

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by lao123
So what tube amps would you recommend.

Budget???
styles you play??
Location??
feel free to add me
Judging by the prices that he has been saying so far I would guess he is in Australia. That means the only tube amp he can get is an Epiphone Valve Junior or Legacy ValveED5.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by lao123
Read my first post.

s rry
i guess you can find a B-52 At 112
^out of those id take the Epi + an OD
feel free to add me
Quote by random_B-RAD
Judging by the prices that he has been saying so far I would guess he is in Australia. That means the only tube amp he can get is an Epiphone Valve Junior or Legacy ValveED5.

If you read anything on my first post, you'll know I'm from New Zealand. We hate Aussies. (In a competitive way though)
At The Rockshop, the leading store, I can import anything I want really... I think
Page 1 of 2