Poll: Bad Covers on Commercials: Yay or nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Bad Covers on Commercials: Yay or nay?
They're lame, they disgrace the original, and they distract from the product being sold.
49 56%
They don't bother me/aren't that bad. They occasionaly get my attention positively.
8 9%
OH GOD, EGGS!
30 34%
Voters: 87.
Ok, here's a question for you guys. If you watch TV (which I do sometimes, when there's something good on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel ), I'm sure you've seen a commercial where a plain lousy cover of a great song is played. I just saw a commercial with a super lame cover of "Space Oddity."

So here's the scoop. Since there's no arguing that these commercial covers are bad (and if there are any good ones, please share because I'm all but conviced they don't exist ), tell me: Should a commercial still use a cover song if they can't get the rights to use the original? Does it add to the commercial or detract from it? Opinions are cool.

(Oh, and honestly, I haven't seen this thread before. I searched its butt off, too.)
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
I think companies purposely use bad covers because once you realise it's a bad commercial, it's stuck in your head

Hence their plan has worked and you remember their product
i forgot which beatles song the jonas brothers covered, but i remembered the taste in my mouth when i threw up a little when i heard it. after that moment, i have been a firm believer of no cover songs on commercials.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I don't mind the Space Oddity commercial. It's not that bad.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by ToastYerLicks
Ok, here's a question for you guys. If you watch TV (which I do sometimes, when there's something good on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel ), I'm sure you've seen a commercial where a plain lousy cover of a great song is played. I just saw a commercial with a super lame cover of "Space Oddity."

So here's the scoop. Since there's no arguing that these commercial covers are bad (and if there are any good ones, please share because I'm all but conviced they don't exist ), tell me: Should a commercial still use a cover song if they can't get the rights to use the original? Does it add to the commercial or detract from it? Opinions are cool.

(Oh, and honestly, I haven't seen this thread before. I searched its butt off, too.)

Pssh you best not be talking bout the cover by Cat Power. I thought that cover was pretty good. Was it the Lincoln car commercial?
Quote by dillonrips7

I like to pretend I'm Johnny Depp, and scissor away at my crotch.

Quote by _InsanitY_
holy **** awesome win right there

Quote by Shadowenspirit
/win!
Quote by sabres61
i forgot which beatles song the jonas brothers covered, but i remembered the taste in my mouth when i threw up a little when i heard it. after that moment, i have been a firm believer of no cover songs on commercials.

Hello Goodbye, used for Target.

The song's been used millions of times for Target, I'm surprised people didn't start bitching until The Jonas Brothers did it for one commercial.
Hey, you look like my friend mike. =)
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I'm sick of Beatles songs getting ripped off by crappy pop bands for commercials. I've heard like five songs of theirs used so far, and it's just sickening. **** you, Michael Jackson, **** you.
oh god eggs
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

I guess this counts,
on the commercial for that Nickelodean movie about the 'rock star'
they have a cover of "Eye of the Tiger." I think it's pretty bad...
Outback took Of Montreal's "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games", which is an awesome song, and made it into some lame advert song with a bad singer.

Original

Outback
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
all Commercials suck!
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Oh god. I hate every single Beatles cover ever made and used in advertising!!!
Like Target doing terrible hello goodbye covers. There are so many of them. Like back in the Barnyard making fun of hard days night.
I'm not necessarily bothered by them. I normally find it funny how they have to alter the song just a bit so that they don't get sued, yet keep the same overall sound to it.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
some travel commercial had a really sh*tty cover of Island in the Sun by Weezer, it pissed me off
Quote by KCGIG1
Pssh you best not be talking bout the cover by Cat Power. I thought that cover was pretty good. Was it the Lincoln car commercial?

No...that one wasn't bad. I swear there was another one that had a cover of Space Oddity, but I could be crazy.

I guess I was just trying to come up with an example and for some reason couldn't think of all of the bad Beatles covers.

BACK TO THE TOASTER (edit)- What I meant by "lame" was that it didn't hit me as strongly as the original does. Then again, commercials tend to pick my least favorite parts of songs in general, so I can't really hold an opinion until I hear the whole song. But the point is gotten, right?
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Last edited by ToastYerLicks at Feb 15, 2009,