I got some parts i ordered from Guitar Jones last week and i have a couple questions.

1-I ordered a pre-soddered wiring harness (prewired tone/volume pot and 5 way switch set up) because i'm still new at soddering and didn't want to **** anything up. When i was installing the new pots and switch, i glanced over at an old wired pickguard i tore out of another guitar i modded a year ago and noticed that the new pots that came with my order were considerably larger than the old ones (the new ones are 500 K and the old ones are 250 K)

What's the difference between 500 K pots and 250 K pots? Are the 500 K's just plain better, or is there a more subtle benefit (or detriment) that comes with them?

2- I ordered a vintage lipstick tube pup (linky) and it came with no wiring diagram so i'm not really sure which to ground and which to hook up to the switching system. there are 3 wires, 1 white, 1 red and 1 uncoated. Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram for this type of pup or could someone who has used this before tell me what to do?

3- Final question, i tried to sodder the neck pup in, but my soddering iron appears to be broken. How long should a normal soddering iron take to heat up?

Thanks for your help, i know the answers to these questions are prbly very obvious
and for the love of god its soldering!!! seriously. and about the pots are they bigger in size or just resistance. the higher the number the higher resistance it can imply. but usially 250k 500k or 1meg are used in guitars. you can look up a wiring diagram on the semor duncan website
Quote by guitar-godfrey
and for the love of god its soldering!!! seriously. and about the pots are they bigger in size or just resistance. the higher the number the higher resistance it can imply. but usially 250k 500k or 1meg are used in guitars. you can look up a wiring diagram on the semor duncan website

i actually knew how to spell solder but i typed it as "sodder" for some reason... i'm so ashamed of myself

Thanks for answer to the pot question.

and i actually did look on the Seymour Duncan website but they only had a diagram for a danelectro lipstick tube set up that seems to be different from the type i have
Quote by guitar-godfrey

no way! how did you find this?? I checked their website earlier and couldn't find one like this :-0

thanks.

And would you say it's safe to ground the bare wire and red wire and solder the white one to the switch?
i wouldnt solder them in yet but id say the bare is ground red or white may be hot but id say plug it in on low volume and see which works. try the white first then red. if you need any wiring help feel free to pm me. been doing this s**t for 3 years
Last edited by guitar-godfrey at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by guitar-godfrey
i wouldnt solder them in yet but id say the bare is ground red or white may be hot but id say plug it in on low volume and see which works. try the white first then red. if you need any wiring help feel free to pm me. been doing this s**t for 3 years

haha i'll let you know if i have any problems.

thanks again.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
anytime

haha well looks like your help may be needed after all.

when i have it plugged in on low volume, how specifically will i know which one is hot and which is ground (besides the bare one which we already know is ground)
I'd bet that red is hot and white is ground...
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
I'd bet that red is hot and white is ground...

ugh i just spent the last hour taping everything down, jamming all the loose wires into the control cav and testing it out. i'm pretty sure that the white is hot but i'm just going to solder it tomorrow and if i'm wrong, i'll take it apart, unsolder it, and change the two wires.