Hey,

I've no experience with guitars whatsoever but I want to start playing, but I don't know what to get. I want something that I'd still be satisfied with when I get better, but I don't need the ultimate ownage guitar. My price range would be about $200 for both guitar and amp. (Each)

*Edit* Sorry I meant 200 each, and it's okay if it goes a little over.
And tips on starting out guitar are welcome. Share your experiences and advices when you were all once noob. (and I'm planning to play just plain rock mainly if that's any help in advice/picking out a guitar).
Last edited by tediz1234 at Feb 15, 2009,
For 200 bucks, you probably aren't gonna get to far. A Fender Squier/Frontman practice amp combo is probably the threshold for the range....
ok, first thing, i know electric is super appealing, but also remember to pick up an acoustic guitar eventually. from the start, learn to finger pick well, and also how to use a pick. picks are easy, but later your gonna regret not learning to finger pick if you don't learn early on, so learn finger picking definitely. also, raise another 100 dollars, because 200 won't get you anything really. then go out and try guitars to see what you want. start with epiphone and ibanez, and if you don't like those try squire and dean and bc rich. then for amps, do not get a spider no matter what. but try amps out too. then practice everyday at least 20 minutes, go online for lessons, and try to find a proper instructor.
what type of music?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by athlete1
ok, first thing, i know electric is super appealing, but also remember to pick up an acoustic guitar eventually. from the start, learn to finger pick well, and also how to use a pick. picks are easy, but later your gonna regret not learning to finger pick if you don't learn early on, so learn finger picking definitely. also, raise another 100 dollars, because 200 won't get you anything really. then go out and try guitars to see what you want. start with epiphone and ibanez, and if you don't like those try squire and dean and bc rich. then for amps, do not get a spider no matter what. but try amps out too. then practice everyday at least 20 minutes, go online for lessons, and try to find a proper instructor.

AMEN! i found that out the hard way
here i am 2.5 years after starting to play guitar and i can't fingerpick worth a crap.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']as much as it pains me to do this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Rack-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Spider-III-15W-Amp?sku=515204

The amp is complete ****, no matter how n00bish you are, but you get a really nice guitar.

Oh btw, that's $349, so you may need to save up a bit.

don't get it I have one, and later on when you get better you wont' like it... the pickups are really crap/underactive, and the frets bend the strings (causing string vibration)
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
get a cheaper dean at guitar center.
they are like 115 bucks
then just pick up a practice amp at a pawn shop
that might be about 50 bucks
then you have like 30 bucks to buy some beer or something
Quote by herrotim
get a cheaper dean at guitar center.
they are like 115 bucks
then just pick up a practice amp at a pawn shop
that might be about 50 bucks
then you have like 30 bucks to buy some beer or something

Ignore please. Cheap Deans are god awful and 50 dollar amps are even worse. Save your money.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
The amp is complete ****, no matter how n00bish you are, but you get a really nice guitar.

I play a 30w version of it and I would like to think that I'm a decent player; I would like to say that he speaks the truth. You thought I was going to argue that it's not as bad as people say? Lol, no, Line 6 Spider III's are pretty bad.

I think he might want to start with a decent amp and a somewhat bad guitar, because he'll be frustrated if he can't get a good tone.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Quote by ComradeIronMan
I play a 30w version of it and I would like to think that I'm a decent player; I would like to say that he speaks the truth. You thought I was going to argue that it's not as bad as people say? Lol, no, Line 6 Spider III's are pretty bad.

I think he might want to start with a decent amp and a somewhat bad guitar, because he'll be frustrated if he can't get a good tone.

You had me going there for a second
He is getting his first guitar. He doesn't need a tube amp and a high end guitar yet. Beginners won't want to spend nearly $600 total on something that they aren't even sure they like.

Your total would be about $300. It is a little over your price range, but trust me, its worth it.

Amp: Roland Cube 15

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

Now for guitars.

Strat-styled: Squier Affinity Strat

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629

SG-styled: Epiphone SG Special

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

Choose depending on what you like. If you like SG's, the Special is pretty good. If you want a Strat, get the Affinity HSS Strat.

*I reccomended him the HSS because he needs to experiment with his types of music, so he needs a humbucker for variety.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by ComradeIronMan

If your only playing the 30W it sounds terrible. The 75 and 150 aren't nearly as bad as the 15 and 30.
I advise checking craigslist... they usually have great deals since theres a ton of college kids who sell crap for money
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Sorry sorry guys. I wasn't specific enough. My whole budget would be approximately $400. I meant $200 for both guitar and amp EACH. It's okay if it goes over a little.
okay, you should buy the Roland Cube 15x as a first amp, I have that amp and its great for the price, i think around $100 dollars. A Vypyr would also be nice, it has more built in effects but the cleans just arent as nice as the Roland. There really is much choice in amps at the price range. Those two will be more than sufficient for bedroom practice. The thing with the guitar is you really have to go and try everything out in your price range and see which FEELS the best. I wouldnt worry too much about the tone for now as your tone ear probably isnt that great yet (no offence). Check out the classified section here and also check out pawn shops in your area, you could score some treasures for cheap.
Take the advice of others here and spend $100 on the Roland Cube. Then use the other $300 to buy yourself a semi-decent beginners guitar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART100-Artist-Electric-Guitar-512354-i1173386.gc

This should be a pretty good guitar for about that much.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal