Hey guys,

I'm looking into switching out the speaker in my Valve Junior cab (Eminance Lady Luck speaker currently in there) for a Vintage 30. It'll be used with my Egnater Rebel 20 primarily.

What do you think? Worth the money? I'll be using a Gibson Les Paul and a Strat with it, and playing classic rock/alternative/blues. Feel free to recommend other speakers also. I feel like my tone is very bright right now, so would the Vintage 30 make it sound too bright?

Thanks!
Id go with them but Look into the good ol'e greenbacks.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Try a Hellatone Vintage 30, same speaker but with some mods and slightly broken in.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/hellatone.htm
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I have one in my Blues Jr. it gave the amp alot more volume, warmth, and british sounding.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
I have one in my Blues Jr. it gave the amp alot more volume, warmth, and british sounding.

Yeah, I'll have to look into Greenbacks.

I heard V30's add some mids too, right?
I believe so.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
I believe so.

Alright, thanks for your help, I'll look into Greenbacks and Vintage 30's.
I use my VJ through my homebuilt cab with Eminence's take on a Greenback, and it sounds great.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I use my VJ through my homebuilt cab with Eminence's take on a Greenback, and it sounds great.

Alright, but I'm using the VJ cab, not the VJ head.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Alright, but I'm using the VJ cab, not the VJ head.

Sorry, I just skimmed. Go for the V-30.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
the V30 accentuates higher mids, which adds a lot of brightness and clarity.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the V30 accentuates higher mids, which adds a lot of brightness and clarity.

Hmm...I feel like my tone is already REALLY bright. Would the Greenback be the opposite of that?
Quote by GNRjungle87
Hey guys,

I'm looking into switching out the speaker in my Valve Junior cab (Eminance Lady Luck speaker currently in there) for a Vintage 30. It'll be used with my Egnater Rebel 20 primarily.

What do you think? Worth the money? I'll be using a Gibson Les Paul and a Strat with it, and playing classic rock/alternative/blues. Feel free to recommend other speakers also. I feel like my tone is very bright right now, so would the Vintage 30 make it sound too bright?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's not the Egnater cab makin you too bright? I was using the matching cab and found it to be a little harsh on the highs, kinda brittle, on its own. Still within the range of good sound, just too much for my taste.

The Rebel sounds great through a Greenback 4x12, the speakers in my JVM combo, my 1x12, that I just got.

I just bought an Avater 1x12 cube loaded with a Celestion Blue. It's amazing. The first chord I strummed, it just had a different sound to it. It sounds more organic and real than any speaker I've ever heard.
Quote by MAYNARD
Are you sure it's not the Egnater cab makin you too bright? I was using the matching cab and found it to be a little harsh on the highs, kinda brittle, on its own. Still within the range of good sound, just too much for my taste.

The Rebel sounds great through a Greenback 4x12, the speakers in my JVM combo, my 1x12, that I just got.

I just bought an Avater 1x12 cube loaded with a Celestion Blue. It's amazing. The first chord I strummed, it just had a different sound to it. It sounds more organic and real than any speaker I've ever heard.

It can't be the Egnater cab, because I don't have the Egnater cab, lol.

It sounds like a Greenback will better suit me I think, right?
Quote by GNRjungle87
It can't be the Egnater cab, because I don't have the Egnater cab, lol.

It sounds like a Greenback will better suit me I think, right?

No, I mean my Egnater cab. It's so bright it affects everybody.

I loved the sound of the 4x12 and I don't think you can go wrong with the greenback as a rock and roll speaker. Quite honestly, it woulda been my choice if my buddy didn't have a Marshall cab, and I wouldn't have found the sweet deal on my cab.

I am really likin the full sound of my cube 1x12, and that could help quell any fears about it bein even brighter. It should smooth it out a bit.

EDIT: I just realized you were doin a speaker swap and keepin the cab. I think the Greenback would still serve you well.

Is the VJ cab specially voiced? I have read some bad stuff about the Egnater cab and speaker swaps.
Last edited by MAYNARD at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by MAYNARD
No, I mean my Egnater cab. It's so bright it affects everybody.

I loved the sound of the 4x12 and I don't think you can go wrong with the greenback as a rock and roll speaker. Quite honestly, it woulda been my choice if my buddy didn't have a Marshall cab, and I wouldn't have found the sweet deal on my cab.

I am really likin the full sound of my cube 1x12, and that could help quell any fears about it bein even brighter. It should smooth it out a bit.

EDIT: I just realized you were doin a speaker swap and keepin the cab. I think the Greenback would still serve you well.

Is the VJ cab specially voiced? I have read some bad stuff about the Egnater cab and speaker swaps.

I don't think the VJ Cab is specially voiced. I don't have the Egnater Cab, so that's not a problem, but I will definitely check out the Greenbacks, it sounds like they would be better voiced for me than V30's.
^I just meant it as a comparison. The Egnater cab is especially voiced. Read about a few speaker swaps that didn't go as planned and the design of the cab was the culprit. It was designed for the speaker that comes loaded in it.
Quote by MAYNARD
^I just meant it as a comparison. The Egnater cab is especially voiced. Read about a few speaker swaps that didn't go as planned and the design of the cab was the culprit. It was designed for the speaker that comes loaded in it.

Ohh, ok. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Greenback has a bit of a grinding top end. It's not really "bright" like a g12h30 is bright, but it definitely has a bit of grind in the higher frequencies.

Keep in mind that the Greenback is only a 25 watt speaker.
Quote by al112987
Greenback has a bit of a grinding top end. It's not really "bright" like a g12h30 is bright, but it definitely has a bit of grind in the higher frequencies.

Keep in mind that the Greenback is only a 25 watt speaker.

Oh yeah...alright, I'll keep looking at a bunch of different things.