Hey, if you make a cover of a song is it still considered as a copyrighted song? You doesn't say that it is your song, if you doesn't make profit* on it is this still legal? (To upload it or download it on Internet)

I realy know nothing about copyright etc...

*Profit can be indirect for example if you create a website with video and explain how to play some cover, people have to pay for it. Legal?

Thanks
yeah you can make a profit, but you have to give the writer of the song a percentage.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Or you can just say *Song owned by (insert band name here) it is not originally by myself/my band* I THINK thats how it can also work, I'm not sure
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Depends how you make the profit. If you make a cd of covers and sell them then you're going to have to pay a percentage of the profit for each song to the artist. If you make a website for people to upload videos of cover songs, I think you're in the clear unless you're making people pay to see the videos.
Regardless, you still have to cite the artist as the original creator of the work.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah you can make a profit, but you have to give the writer of the song a percentage.

And how i do that? If it's just and amateur website? Making it more popular or giving direct link to their myspace or website count as a percentage?

Edit: If people just ''donate'' money, i still need to give a percentage?
Last edited by MangeuDePoutine at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
And how i do that? If it's just and amateur website? Making it more popular or giving direct link to their myspace or website count as a percentage?

if it's online I'm not sure, find out who wrote the song and what songwriter organization they belong to (if they are American it's probably ASCAP or BMI) and contact them.

Last.fm
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
kk thanks.

And if it's a free website but people can make donation, does i still need to give a percentage?

usually for something like that you will pay a flat fee.

Last.fm
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
You doesn't afraid of anything!

fixed?
Use the right word dammit I doesn't care for this stuff usually but really it was too obvious
slip it in secretly like i did...