Hey
im currently in the middle of building a strat which will incorpertate features from both Eddie Van Halens frankenstrat and Glen Tipton (of Judas priest) stratocaster the one with the chrome pickguard. Ive painted the body black & white with the design of EVH's early frankenstrat. Im going to try find a Chrome pickguard (HSS).

Im stuck on which pickup to use?
(I rather the Judas Priest sound)
ive got a few options;

-DiMarzio Super Distortion DP100 (the pickup Glen Tipton had in his
Strat)in the bridge postion and single coils in neck and middle

-EMG81 (the pickup Glen Tipton has in most of his guitars) in the bridge and single coils in neck and middle

i need help on which pickup i should go with. I want one which would be easier to install and the one that would sound most like Glen Tipton's.

thanks
Last edited by 2848_RAD at Feb 15, 2009,
Get the Dimarzio. EMG's need alot more work on them, not worth the effort IMO. On the other hand, the dimarzio is the one glenn used in his strat, and it's passive (I think? Most Dims are) so it's your best bet. Also, PICS WHEN DONE, cause this sounds like a beast project
Quote by captainoid
Get the Dimarzio. EMG's need alot more work on them, not worth the effort IMO. On the other hand, the dimarzio is the one glenn used in his strat, and it's passive (I think? Most Dims are) so it's your best bet. Also, PICS WHEN DONE, cause this sounds like a beast project

Thanks
yerr i agree with you
as soon as im finished i will post up pics

another thing, what is it with the phase thing?
would i need to reverse phase it????
I'm not to sure on phasing, as I am a rookie to this as well. Try PM'ing he more veteran users, or maybe go to a shop?
If you connect a pickup backwards (positive where negative should go and vice versa) it will be 'out of phase' with any other pickups in the guitar. This makes a thin sound like a lot of funk guitarists use (think Frusciante).

Usually if you want out of phase sounds you would put in a switch to put one of the pickups in and out of phase.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Sweeeet, love Glenn Tipton and Eddie, should be awesome.

one thing though, that chrome pickguard guitar is actually a custom Hamer Phantom which is cool because it can look very stratish on stage but in a front on photo you can really see how its a kind of weird elongated shape:

definitely a great idea for a build though man, for the pickups it depends on what type of priest sound you're after, my favourite tones are on Sad Wings of Destiny to about Defenders of the Faith and those sounds are much more suited to the Super Distortion idea whereas Painkiller and beyond is obviously EMG territory. the Super Distortion would also suit van halen much better as well which is worth considering
Quote by Diamond Dave
Sweeeet, love Glenn Tipton and Eddie, should be awesome.

one thing though, that chrome pickguard guitar is actually a custom Hamer Phantom which is cool because it can look very stratish on stage but in a front on photo you can really see how its a kind of weird elongated shape:

definitely a great idea for a build though man, for the pickups it depends on what type of priest sound you're after, my favourite tones are on Sad Wings of Destiny to about Defenders of the Faith and those sounds are much more suited to the Super Distortion idea whereas Painkiller and beyond is obviously EMG territory. the Super Distortion would also suit van halen much better as well which is worth considering

Yerr my favourite tones are from the Sad Wings of Destiny to Defenders of the Faith so yerr i will go for the Super Distortion.

Im talking about the strat he used before he got the Hamer Phantom.
the one in the video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInasdz2mg&feature=related

thats great if the super distortion will go well with the van halen style too.
Quote by 2848_RAD
Yerr my favourite tones are from the Sad Wings of Destiny to Defenders of the Faith so yerr i will go for the Super Distortion.

Im talking about the strat he used before he got the Hamer Phantom.
the one in the video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInasdz2mg&feature=related

thats great if the super distortion will go well with the van halen style too.

oh sweet, sorry dude i just instantly thought of the phantom because i've seen him with it so many times.

with the super distortion i'm not sure i'd say it would go well with van halen necessarily but its definitely far more suited to it than some EMG's, it's quite widely known that van halen used a relatively low output humbucker in the bridge and the whole idea of the super distortion when it came out was that it was one of the first high output pickups that was designed to really start to drive the tube amps harder. It'll still sound good for van halen but if you were a real tone nerd you'd want something different ya know.

just another thing, what kind of amp do you have? just wondering because it sounds like you should be looking at getting a plexi or jcm800
Quote by Diamond Dave
oh sweet, sorry dude i just instantly thought of the phantom because i've seen him with it so many times.

with the super distortion i'm not sure i'd say it would go well with van halen necessarily but its definitely far more suited to it than some EMG's, it's quite widely known that van halen used a relatively low output humbucker in the bridge and the whole idea of the super distortion when it came out was that it was one of the first high output pickups that was designed to really start to drive the tube amps harder. It'll still sound good for van halen but if you were a real tone nerd you'd want something different ya know.

just another thing, what kind of amp do you have? just wondering because it sounds like you should be looking at getting a plexi or jcm800

im not that much of a tone nerd
im not really going for the van halen tone
will it go well with Hard Rock stuff like Guns N Rose & Aerosmith

ive got a Crate FW65U
can't really afford the plexi or JCM800
Last edited by 2848_RAD at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by 2848_RAD
im not that much of a tone nerd
im not really going for the van halen tone
will it go well with Hard Rock stuff like Guns N Rose & Aerosmith

ive got a Crate FW65U
can't really afford the plexi or JCM800

yeah it'll do all that no worries man, you'll be fine
pics dont work dude
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Or just use tinypic.com. I find that to be the easiest.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i prefer photobucket, it wraps the url for you
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Aye
Tonight im getting the mirror pickguard and on the weekend im purchasing the DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup
So excited!!!!!!!!
im going to use the same string gauge as Eddie Van Halen uses live which is .009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046 the set Hybird Slinky Nickel Wound Ernie Ball
yerr and here is wat it looks like so far with a white pickguard
The white turned out a bit creamy but im still happy with the result

Last edited by 2848_RAD at Mar 12, 2009,
i'd go with the Demarzio if u want the old judas priest kind of sound
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
got the Mirror pickguard and i encountered a minor problem
The holes dont line up and the cutout for the neck is off and i cant put the neck on

im gonna have to drill new holes in the body and sand down a bit of the cutout for the neck