Yeah, I know this is pathetic but...

For the life of me I cannot cover the g-string when I'm trying to bar all six strings. There is a divot in my index finger or something at that spot, and it just goes thup thup thup. I can weakly cover it so it makes a sound instead of just a muted thup, but it doesn't ring like it should.

Any suggestions on practicing this away? Or do I need to surgically attach something to my index finger?

Thanks. Now go ahead and make fun of me. I deserve it.
hey, on acoustic for F and B barre chords I need to really bend my arm to grab the B string with my index finger. I guess I just learned to work with it. My advice is try dropping your wrist a little and hitting the fretboard at a different angle.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
can you turn your finger slightly so more of it hits the string at that point
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
yeah my fingers all bend in two places, 90 degrees at both joints haha...and I have a little dip at my "upper" knuckle too. I duno, I just slide my finger one way or the other.. either getting the E with the very tip of my index, so the dip isn't landing dirtectly on a string

EDIT: and yeah, more to the side of the finger
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
I had the same problem a while back. Just try moving your index finger up a bit and pretty soon, you'll find minor barre chords a lot easier.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
High action can affect barre chord playability. Failing that, barre an A Maj barre chord on the low E. Lift all fingers up apart from the index. Now strum, if any strings are muted, move your index up and down til they ring out fully.