I'm going to get a Peavey XXX 60 watt, and I will have around 500 left. I think I want a Les Paul since I decided against an 8 string. I'm going to use this for hard rock and metalcore. I don't know if I should get a used EC1000 if I can find one that cheap, or save a little more, and get a Epi Custom. Suggestions? It doesn't have to be a Les Paul.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
-.- ^
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by jackson player
-.- ^

Hey, its a suggestion! i've played stratocasters, I own a strat rip-off, they can play basically anything, including what you mentioned.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Check out Godins. They can get similar tones to a LP, but look cooler.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
bummmmp
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Any other ideas? I want mainly the les paul shape, because I will probably switch out the pups. I wouldn't mind a Superstrat shape though.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
I would go with the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but thats just my preference.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
if you are playing metal, the ESP will be MUCH better than the epiphone. I have played both and the epi felt like crap in my hands. The ESP is a much more metal guitar and its a lot better looking IMO. EC1000 will be your best bet for a les paul styled guitar. Actually, any ESP will do. Personally, I would get an EC-401 or an older EC-500, its cheaper and the only difference are the tuners and the excess abalone. You should also look at Ibanez, Schecter for a great guitar at the $500 price range, there are tons of great used ones in the classified section here. As for the guy who suggested a strat, the single coils on the strat (and even the humbuckers that come with some fender strats) will not cut it for the metalcore distortion. Go for something with humbuckers. Godins are also really nicely built guitars that are made in Canada. Good luck with your purchase.