Alright, so I'm looking for a new setup (entirley, outside of my guitar)

I basically play a buttload of solos, in the sense of instrumentals where the guitar is the lead (vai, satch) you get the idea...What would be most ideal setup here, with some versatitily for playing metal/(hard)rock as well.

GOGO UG MEMBERS!
Vai uses his Legacy from Carvin?
You can check into the RM100 from Randall, Im sure you can get a decent vai setup, I heard some smooth lead tones from the Mr. Scary preamp too. You can get metal from the Ultra, and XTC for hardrock.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
1980's JCM 800 (combo or head) thats what I would get.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
1980's JCM 800 (combo or head) thats what I would get.

SOOO this or a JCM 2000 super lead but thats higher distortion, I played one and it was amazing sounding it was $1600 or so and the cab was $850 I think
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Pac_man0123
Ibanez JEM7VWH and Mesa boogie power/pre amps/whatever the hell you need for a rack setup.

If you really want to spend more than 2k on a superstrat, than dont spend it on a JEM.

My advice would be a USA soloist (or even CS), or a John suhr as guitars and an ENGL E570 preamp combined with a E850/100 poweramp or like pac man said: a boogie poweramp is always very nice.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I'd go with a prestige Ibanez or a USA Jackson..

And the Randall MTS', due to the sheer versatility you can get from them, using different modules to acheive your different tones.

And throw in a G Force for delays etc.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Carvin Legacy, dirt-cheap amp with one of the best tones I've ever heard (the head's like 600-800 USD) plug in a G-force delay and possibly a tube-driver for boost and you're set (maybe a good Wah pedal as well).

Guitar wise, Ibanez S series is pretty cheap and has a remarkably good tremolo system, The S prestige is an upgraded S with better quality parts, 24 frets, trem and more. ESP Horizon FR II is good but expensive as well.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Ibanez JEM7VWH and Mesa boogie power/pre amps/whatever the hell you need for a rack setup.

A JEM is nowhere near the perfect soloist's guitar.
I'd honestly take my Washburn over a JEM anyday. It's ugly, overpriced, the tone is just plain boring, the neck feels bad. It's a terrible guitar.
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 15, 2009,
Good JEM's are really nice to play, but there's alot of guitars out there that are cheaper and play just as good/better.

Just having an artists name on it doesn't mean it's the best (love the legacy amp only cuz it has a real nice tone for the price)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Valve Jr. modded to taste, a good laptop with a decent audio interface and a solid program to route your signal through(Guitar Rig, Reaktor, you could do it with Fruity Loops or Ableton live, hell, even Renoise could do it!), and a good MIDI foot controller for switching effects and patches.

Anything else is gravy, other amps, some actual stopmboxes, whatever. With a setup like above you can do ANYTHING.

Plus it gives you the luxuries of being able to run and control backing tracks, record and loop your own playing live, and make your guitar sound like anything you want.