So I'm swapping out the pickups and I'm thinking of a PAF Pro neck and a Breed Bridge. I have a mahogany guitar and I like to play stuff by steve vai, joe satriani, paul gilbert, and the like. I also like to jazz stuff though, so would these be good for shred but also versatlie enough for jazz?

Also: I have a floyd rose so I would by the f-spaced versions of these right?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by beetroot10
what amp do you have and whats your actual guitar?

Guitar is a Carvin DC145 and my amp is a carvin legacy half-stack
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by halloweenhead
Guitar is a Carvin DC145 and my amp is a carvin legacy half-stack

Dude, Carvin gear is pretty much top of the line stuff for shred, what more could you possibly want?
Quote by captainoid
Dude, Carvin gear is pretty much top of the line stuff for shred, what more could you possibly want?

A JEM to go with the Legacy? Maybe a JS model or a PGM?

That is a sweet amp though,the cleans on it are wonderful.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The Breed bridge is an amazing shred pickup, and it can do some heavier stuff (I have one in my RG, along with an Evo neck). The PAF Pro is a classic pickups all around. The Breed neck is also a good choice as it's similar to the PAF, but with more power.

Also, if I may ask, what is it you don't like about the stock pickups? The only bad thing I've ever heard about Carvin is that the pickups can be lacking, but I've never really heard any specifics.
Just measure the string spacing over the pickups - if it's 48mm it's standard spacing, 51.5mm is F spaced. The bridge will definitely be F spaced, but depending on nut width and scale length the neck could be either.

Breed bridge might be a little full on in the lower mids dept in mahogany, I'd be more inclined to say go with a Breed neck and a Norton in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 15, 2009,
Well, I'd stick with the PAF Pro; that's absolutely perfect. All three of your reference guitarists used it heavily until in Satch and Vais cases they had signature pickups developed (whereas Paul Gilbert simply decided he wanted lower output).
In Mahogany the lower mids of the Breed will be overpowering, just as Seagull said. A Norton would be a good choice, but I'd personally take the DiMarzio AT-1; perfect for your guitar and matches very nicely with the PAF Pro. Also consider the Mo' Joe, which is like a hotter PAF Pro with weightier mids (particularly in the upper midrange) and better harmonic response.
If you really want to open up the sound in your Carvin, replace all the switches and pots. The mini pots they use really restrict the sound.