Problem is, I still dont understand how they work, or how they are set up with the guitar. do they go as part of a pedalboard or external to that??

Please help!!
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
The Talkbox works with a microphone. So if you don't have a PA system, or at least access to one, it won't do you any good.
There's my way and the wrong way.
wrong^ pracitcing you dont need a mic, if you want to use it live youll need a mic, it can get decently loud by itsself

theres a couple ways to hook it up, it might depend on the box, im not sure, but i have mine setup

guitar into amp head, amp head to talkbox in, talkbox out to cab, if you dont have a stack there are ways to do it, i dont recall how but im sure someone will answer it
For personal practice, you don't need a mic. What he said is, I think, you you're supposed to run it. Now, on to how it works. To put it simply, you run a rubber tube from the talkbox to your mouth, and it makes the cool talkbox sound. You get that sound from the small speaker inside the box. That sound then goes through the tube, and the sound comes out in your mouth (keep your minds out of the gutter)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Maybe if i posted my setup it might help:

I have my guitar connected to my Boss OD3, which is then connected to my Zoom G1X Multi FX unit, then into my amp (A 10W Ibanez, the type that comes with the guitar). How would I hook it up to the amp??
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Dunlop style talkboxes (which 99% of people use) go in between the amp head and speaker cab, as eberg2 said. You've got to be a little careful with this as some more unusual amps throw a hissy fit and die on you. Most amps should be fine. Of course some combo amps can't take a talkbox in this way at all anyway.

There is also the Rocktron Banshee style. These are used just like any other pedal, your guitar plugs in one side, your amp plugs in the other, you just stomp it on and off. The tone on these isn't as good though (in fact it's awful), they're a bugger to get working with any other pedals, and again, some amps don't like them and die on you. In fact they're really unhealthy for any valve amp, since it basically cuts off the signal to the amp cold-turkey. Once or twice that's no problem, but if you do it a lot you're going to wear your amp down fast.

Generally speaking, I know they look fun, but if you're at all unsure about how to set one up, leave talkboxes alone. Both styles have their risks and if you're not completely confident you know exactly what you're doing, you could create some serious problems for your amp, especially if you use the Dunlop style talkboxes. If this is the case for you, consider using a Wah expression pedal or Auto-Wah stompbox instead for a similar (and safer!) tone.

EDIT: and as far as using a mic goes, you do sure need one if you're putting the average guitar amp past about 15% volume or playing with any other people, but it's quite possible to use them without a microphone when you're just messing about at home. Basically the output volume is roughly as loud as most people's speaking voices, sometimes a touch quieter. It certainly won't be audible over the volume of a fully cranked amp, but if you're playing at regular bedroom levels then there's no problem.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
Maybe if i posted my setup it might help:

I have my guitar connected to my Boss OD3, which is then connected to my Zoom G1X Multi FX unit, then into my amp (A 10W Ibanez, the type that comes with the guitar). How would I hook it up to the amp??

Okay, from the sound of it youv'e got a solid state combo amp. The short answer is you can't get a Dunlop style talkbox to work with that sort of amp, at all. It won't even be able to plug in, let alone work. A Rocktron style talkbox could still work, just as any other pedal, but it will sound absolutely awful.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 15, 2009,