What effect/effects could I use to make a passable talkbox sound? I'm pretty sure that part of it would be a wah. But what else?

Oh, and if you're curious, I need to be able to sing and play with a talkbox sound at the same time.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The Boss PW-10 has a voice function that's supposed to act like a talkbox, but when I owned one I could never get it to work right. You might be able to though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
wah will usually work i mean obviously its not gonna be perfect but it will get the general idea accross lol
Is there another effect I could use with the wah to give it a more convincing sound? Maybe a fuzz pedal?

If there were a way to use a talkbox when I was singing then it would be no big deal....curse my bandmates' inability to own an electric guitar/sing Bon Jovi songs. And before you say it, yes, Livin' On A Prayer
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Feb 15, 2009,
Filter modulation pedals + wah gives the closest to talkbox sound you can get without getting a talkbox.

It would be cheaper to get a talkbox and have another member of your band do the talkbox voice thing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The most common substitute is a Wah pedal, just rock it from fully forwards to midway back as you play. When I first started learning guitar I picked up a DVD about playing Bon Jovi songs and that's what they used on there instead of the talkbox since as they pointed out, most people watching wouldn't have access to a talkbox anyway.
I've been using a Wah myself for 'Jovi covers for a couple of years, and it's fine. The only hard part is making sure you don't rock back too much. Something I also find helps is on a Strat, putting the pickup selector on the bridge+middle pickups, and rolling the middle pickup's tone control all the way down to 0 while keeping the bridge tone full. That combined with the Wah gives a pretty nice vocal tone.
Better than that is a twin humbucker guitar with the neck humbucker in reverse polarity, wired out of phase. Again, both pickups with the neck's tone all the way down but keeping the bridge tone full gives a great vowel tone, probably better than the Strat's in fact. Sometimes I even use this without the wah pedal.

Auto-Wah stomp boxes can be used too, there's a Digitech one that has a nice vocal-vowel effect in one of it's settings. The problem with these though is they don't 'react' in any way, so it's a very obviously unnatural effect and it's hard to control. It's also very unlikely you'll ever need the pedal for anything else either, whereas with a basic Wah pedal you could still use that for a few other things (e.g. in the mid 90's tours Richie used a wah pedal on the solo for Livin' On A Prayer, in addition to the talkbox on the verses).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ok, so what's a filter modulation pedal? Google brought up nothing that I could understand. Could someone give me a link?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Great, they're expensive What about the Electro Harmonix Nano Q?

My biggest problem is I can't imagine I would use it for anything but this one song....I think I'll just go with the wah.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Why don't you get a talk box that lets you use a mic instead of a tube, then get a little stereo adaptor on your stand with both a clean mic and one to the talk box? I used to keep two mics on the same stand, one ran to a lo-fi pedal for megaphone/distortion effects and the other ran clean into the board. I'd EQ both lines very differently and often sing into both at the same time, it was a lot of fun.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 15, 2009,
I could try that. Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on a talkbox that uses a mic? I have insanely limited funds for it, and I also don't think we have an extra mic for my band.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray