i need a little help choosing a mixer
id like it to be analog, but i will be hooking it up to a computer and using audacity for recording, unless it comes with software, but it probaly doesnt
so

i have been looking at google and musicians friend and im looking for something with a minimun of 6 channels and a max of like 12, preferably like an 8 channel mixer would be best

i was looking at this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soundcraft-EPM8-8Channel-MultiFormat-Mixer?sku=630938

but i dont know much about this stuff so would this be a good choice or what

thanks all the help is appreciated
Soundcraft stuff is amazing, the pres on it are good, the eq is great, How will you be hooking it up to a computer.

I would suggest the motu 828 series, and use the line inputs on the back, to hook it up use a loom or individual cables and just plug it halfway into the insert jacks (so it "clicks" once but doesnt go all the way in) and then go for it! (this is what i do when im not using my mixer with direct outs and you dont get any loss in quality)

That or a presonus fp10 and just use the preamps... kinda a waste but hey, it will give you what you want.

Oh yeah, there is an alesis mixer with usb output, removes the interface side of thing, but is obviously a hell of alot less quality.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Allen-Heath-ZED12FX-USB-Mixer-with-Effects?sku=580319

Allen heath are GREAT stuff too, you could just use a usb to 1/4" for the line ins, obviously this isn't going to be your high end A&H but they do have a standard.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Allen-Heath-ZED14-USB-Mixing-Console?sku=630271

similar just no fx

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-16-USB-2.0-16Channel-Mixer?sku=801472

thats your alesis with your extra preamps.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV-14-USB-14Channel-Mixer-with-Digital-Output-and-Effects?sku=631780

and there is another alternative.

Personally i would go the soundcraft/motu route, but thats if you can afford it. It WILL be the highest quality out of all those solutions.
Last edited by doommaker at Feb 15, 2009,
I haven't had any experience with this specific mixer, but I have always been very pleased with other Soundcraft mixers I've used in the past. This model looks very solid and has a nice design and feature-set, and the specs sound good, though you can't always trust specs. I think this is probably a good choice.

If you're going to be using it for recording with your PC, do you have a recording interface to go along with it, or plan to get one? If not, it's something that is vital for you to include. The reason why is, even though the mixer provides you all the connections and preamps you may need, what it doesn't give you is converters.

They are the most important link in your chain going in, and coming out. The A/D (Analog to Digital) converters are what turn whatever sound you're sending to the computer into digital information the computer can deal with. The quality of this process will have a huge impact on the overall quality of your tracks and your finished product.

And the D/A (Digital to Analog) converters turn the music that you're mixing back into an analog signal to be recieved by your speakers and/or headphones. You want to be sure that your sounds are being recorded right, and that you're hearing it right on the other end.

If you already know this stuff, I apologize for going into it. If you didn't know any of this before, then I hope I was helpful.
wow, ok i didnt know that

then what is a good dirt cheap interface? lol

i only have about 3- 350 maybe 400 including shipping to spend on this
o another question, If I replaced the souncard on my computer would i need an interface?? or would i just have it sounding better?
Replacing the sound card will not really do anyyhing you will want an interface. Is that budget just the interface or the mixer too?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Replacing the sound card will not really do anyyhing you will want an interface. Is that budget just the interface or the mixer too?

both, the only reason i need the interface is to take it from analog to digital for the computer and so i have the input thats the right size without an adaptor right??
You could potentially replace your soundcard with something like the
M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card,
M-Audio Delta44 PCI card with breakout box,
E-MU 0404 PCI card,
E-MU 1212M PCI card

Or you could get something like
E-MU 0404USB
E-MU 0202USB
there are a variety of USB 2.0 interfaces available between $99-$199

And you need the interface for the converters, AND to have the proper connections. If you're a little short on funds when you try to get the mixer and the interface, do yourself a favor and don't skip the interface, because you'll end up regretting it. So if you have to wait another pay period to get both, then you'll definitely want to do that.

There are a lot of so-called "studio essentials" that you can certainly live without, but an interface is definitely not something can do without.
Quote by Matthias King
You could potentially replace your soundcard with something like the
M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card,
M-Audio Delta44 PCI card with breakout box,
E-MU 0404 PCI card,
E-MU 1212M PCI card

Or you could get something like
E-MU 0404USB
E-MU 0202USB
there are a variety of USB 2.0 interfaces available between $99-$199

And you need the interface for the converters, AND to have the proper connections. If you're a little short on funds when you try to get the mixer and the interface, do yourself a favor and don't skip the interface, because you'll end up regretting it. So if you have to wait another pay period to get both, then you'll definitely want to do that.

There are a lot of so-called "studio essentials" that you can certainly live without, but an interface is definitely not something can do without.

cool thanks a lot, allright, i have probaly close to enoght now, im maybe 100 short, but ya once i get a job lol(i just turned 16 so) ya thanks thoe