OK I run a PRS SE Custom through a Big Muff and a Roland JC-120. I play metal, hard rock and grunge music, with more emphasis on the grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.). You can see where the problem is: the PRS doesn't come anywhere near the kind of tone I'd want.

I'm looking into getting a new guitar, preferably in the 300-400 range. I was looking around at suggestions from people and it seems like a Telecaster might be a good choice for grunge, but then my friend, who says he's researched them a lot, told me "No no no, you don't want one of those. They're the complete opposite of what you'd want for grunge. Those are for like, classic rock, light modern rock, jazz, etc." Since that's really his kind of music I'm tempted to listen to him and ignore the Tele. However, I'm really not sure.

Can anyone tell me if a Tele would be a good idea, and if not could someone reccomend me a good guitar for the kind of music I play?
A Tele is fine, Kurt Cobain used them often.
In fact, he's playing on on the cover of Bleach.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Your friend sounds like an idiot. I went to see a grunge band a few days ago, frankly I thought the guitarist, who played a tele, had a better tone than Kurt freaking Cobain, and in grunge, that's saying something.

But it all depends on the tone you want. Find a local shop with JC-120's, take the Big Muff in, and try out a tele with it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Tele would definitely be a good one. A Tele could really be used for any genre of music. Jim Root plays one and he was first unsure of it, but now he loves them, and John 5 plays Teles too. So if you like it, go for it!
the guitarist from soundgarden played a tele, i have a tele also. i play hard rock and even some metal with a stock tele =-0 im sure a tele could handle grundge. lol i would recomend you play it before you buy it though.
Jazz on a tele? I have never heard of that before. And anyways, it seems to me that Grunge sounds best when you mix "conflicting sounds". I put that in quotes because, to me, single coils and metal level distortion seem to clash, and that's the sound that I like in grunge. I say go for it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by Justice4AllOne

That's Jason Everman playing the tele on the Bleach cover. But Kurt played one sometimes on the In Utero Tour. And he often played a single coil strat. Mark Arm of Mudhoney has been know to use teles on occasion also. And as the guy above me said, Kim Thayil played them too.

to TS, checkout the 72 Tele Deluxe reissues. The humbuckers might give you the balls that single coils sometimes lack. That said, standard teles are fine to play grunge.

Either way, try it out and see if it gets the tone you want. Single coil guitars sound great with big muffs.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Sure, Chris Cornell used a Telecaster, and so did Kurt Cobain. However, I do have to recommend the obvious: a Fender Mustang.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

No, that was Jason Everman with the Tele. Kurt has the straight hair and is in the left/bottom corner.

Drats, beaten to it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Feb 15, 2009,
the guitar really isn't important, it's mostly effects to get that dirty sludgy sound
but better than the tele is the fender jaguar, kurt cobain said they were his favorite guitars to use, plus bands like sonic youth and my bloody valentine used them to get the sound you are looking for.
Quote by STABxYOU
No, that was Jason Everman with the Tele. Kurt has the straight hair and is in the left/bottom corner.

Drats, beaten to it.

Ah.
I don't have Bleach, so I was just assuming it was Kurt.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
A Tele is great for what you're after, but I'd also strongly recommend checking out Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They can be great for what you're going for too
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'm going to say Jag.
But grunge guitarists really used everything.
Soundagarden ranged from teles,lp's and SG's.Kurt cobain honestly used whatever he felt like using.Some grunge guitarists went and bought the cheap,****ty guitars.
Really you want a guitar that stands out in looks.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i think teles are the ultimate grunge guitar. heavy gain and single coils mix nicely for that grungey distortion! although, if you are like me ... playing a fender through hi-gain, i feel like im raping the guitar
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I think telecasters are great grunge guitars. They have a very raw, harsh sound from the bridge pickup which is ideal for grunge imo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks guys. One of my friends did reccomend the Jaguar and Jazzmaster but they're honestly way too far out of my price range for me, so a Tele is most likely what I'll be looking at.
a telecaster is a great choice. ur friends sounds like a total ignorant fool
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Quote by necrosis1193
Your friend sounds like an idiot. I went to see a grunge band a few days ago, frankly I thought the guitarist, who played a tele, had a better tone than Kurt freaking Cobain, and in grunge, that's saying something.

But it all depends on the tone you want. Find a local shop with JC-120's, take the Big Muff in, and try out a tele with it.

mark arm and steve turner have the best tone for any grunge band
Justice4AllOne Actually thats Jason Everman not Kurt Cobain. Kurt played a Fender Mustang, an Epiphone ET 270, and a Univox Hi Flier around that time.
Quote by xjservis1
Justice4AllOne Actually thats Jason Everman not Kurt Cobain. Kurt played a Fender Mustang, an Epiphone ET 270, and a Univox Hi Flier around that time.

This has was already corrected over 7 years ago - please check the last post date before replying.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.