Any tips?

My Hammer Ons suck.

When I'm playing unplugged I can barely hear them at all. Plugged in they seem to resonate more. Mu understanding is that it's about striking the string just behind the fret, swiftly, so it doesn't deaden the string. I was planning on using the Am pentatonic on the 5th fret to try to learn these.

Pull Offs.

I'm slightly better at these I think... Pulling off with a plucking motion. I sometimes seem to hit the string behind, but I guess that's a practice thing and it's not that audible.

I was thinking I could use the pentatonic scale and go up and down that to try to work on pull off technique.

Any tips from those that went through this learning experience recently?
I wouldn't stress too much about your hammer ons, are they noticably weaker than your other notes/each other? If you say do two hammer ons after each other are they both about the same?

Pull offs are just practice, go slow and make sure you can do the motion right and not hit the next string and after a while you should be fine.

I learnt to do my hammers and pulls using scale shapes so I'd recommend it
I think you should practice them using more than the pentatonic scale since you'll only hammer on and pull off with two different fingers for that. Just make up your own combination of h/o and p/o licks that use each finger.
There is a very good exercise on justinguitar.com for practicing hammer-ons/pull-offs. If I recall its something like the "Finger Gym".
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by firesprite
I wouldn't stress too much about your hammer ons, are they noticably weaker than your other notes/each other?

I'm not OP, but yes. What am I doing wrong?
Quote by Hidden Hippo
There is a very good exercise on justinguitar.com for practicing hammer-ons/pull-offs. If I recall its something like the "Finger Gym".

Thanks! Will look.
Quote by mightywarrior
I'm not OP, but yes. What am I doing wrong?

I think you might just not be hitting the strings hard enough, don't bash the fretboard but you may need to put your fingers down firmer than you normally do when you pick the notes to make sure the notes sound. Is it only noticable when you're unplugged? And more importantly how often are you planning on playing unplugged?
yeah it's a good idea just using the pentatonic scale, when you hammer on to the note, make sure you are firmly presiing the note after you have hit it to stop any funny noises.