I'm looking for a high gain OD that doesnt have a mid boost in its tone. I'll be using it to tighten up my rythym. I'll keep my Maxon OD-9 for lead boosts. Is it OK to have 2 boosts on your board? LOL...Oh yeah price range under $200 and I'll buy used.
Fulldrive 2, has a compcut and flat mids setting that work very well and are very transparent. Has a quite a bit of gain as well for an overdrive. The OD mode probably has more gain than your maxon, the boost mode definitely does.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The more the merrier, you can never have too many dirt boxes. It sounds good on it's own as well, I've ran mine straight into my power block and it sounds great considering it's going into a solid state amp.
There's not usually any problem with using multiple ODs together, though there's a couple of different brands that don't work so well together, especially higher-gain models. I know from experience, Digitech OD + high-gain Boss OD = pain.
Of course if you're only using them one by one then there will never ever be any problem.

One I'd particularly recommend is the Digitech HardWire OD. It's got two modes, one is a fairly standard tube overdrive tone, the other has quite a gain increase. Of course both modes work with the regular gain control so you've got a lot of options there. The better parts of this pedal include the true bypass (which a surprising number of other pedals don't have), and the fact it has separate bass and treble cut/boost controls, rather than just one overall tone knob like many pedals have. It doesn't boost your mid tone at all, though even if you did want to lose some mid presence, those bass and treble controls can be ramped up a little and there you go.

They also do Valve Distortion, which is toned a little harsher. The first mode on this does boost mids slightly, while the second mode adds a little more gain and takes out some of the mid presence. I can't personally recommend this one though since it is a Distortion rather than Overdrive, and I've not used it myself.

Though better than that, might I suggest using an EQ pedal as a boost? If you just want to improve on your existing tone, adding a well-set EQ is often better than an OD.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I mean a second one. Hell, I use three EQ's (four if you include the amp's own EQ).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you're wanting to tighten tone I don't think an EQ will give the compression you're probably looking for.

The FD2 can definitely tighten up your rhythm work. The xotic BB preamp is supposed to be very transparent as well, I've not tried one though. That HB proscreamer sounded great, but it's basically a tubescreamer, still a lot of mids, basically a hot rodded version of your maxon.
I guess I do need something more transparent. Should I just get a clean boost?
Last edited by Titans36 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you're wanting to tighten tone I don't think an EQ will give the compression you're probably looking for.
I would argue against this. A good 7-band (minimum) EQ can tighten up your tone considerably, or hell do just about anything to it. It's only real drawback is you've got to know what you're doing otherwise it's easy to get no desirable effect out of it and you just end up frustrating yourself instead.

Though now you mention the specific word compression, the idea does spring to mind of using a compressor/sustainer pedal. It certainly would tighten up your tone if that's all you were after, and since most have a level control it could - in a rather ham-fisted way - be used as a boost to your existing overdrive/distortion too.

It depends a lot on your existing tone though and how your current rig decided to get on with whatever else you added. A clean level boost, overdrive, compression or additional EQ (if set well) could all work fine, in theory. That's assuming you want this in addition to your current rig, i.e. to add to your existing tone. On the other hand, some ODs don't like mixing with each other, a clean level boost may do nothing but increase your volume depending on how you set the rest of your rig, compression could muddy up your tone, and the EQ could just ruin your tone completely if you don't know exactly how to set it for the sound you're after.
I personally don't like EQ pedals since they only boost a specific frequency. Fine, if you're only doing minor tweaking (and if that's the case, is it even worth it?), but if you need more than that starts killing your tone (in my experience). If you find you're using extreme settings on an EQ, maybe ask yourself, do I just not like how my amp sounds, am I just dissatisfied with my amp? That ended up being the case with my F30. I have an amp that suits me much better now and I didn't even consider throwing an EQ in there, in fact I sold it, but to each his own, your mileage may vary, buyer beware, etc, etc.

I don't play a lot of heavy metal, but I really like the way an OD adds that hint of compression, that bit of it's own gain (from mosfets, transistors, or what have you) and the line boost. All those things working together is why I'd prefer an OD over anything for tightening up my tone for some brootalz (or what have you)
any "clean boost" will give you a bit of a scooped feel....i used to use my maxon od808 to boost my jcm900 and it worked great. if you have the level at full and the gain at zero on the pedal, all you get is a boosted slightly scooped tone...VERY TIGHT. i recommend the 808 because you can use it for this purpose, and for a light overdrive over your clean channel when you want it, if your amps bluesy od sucks.
Quote by Titans36
Maxon 808 is a nice pedal but it also has a mid boost.

read above: clean boost=/=mid boost

in any pedal if you have the standard level maxed and gain 0 you get less mids than you would normally get from the pedal.
How about a Bodenhamer Bloody Murder?
Quote by georgakis187
read above: clean boost=/=mid boost

in any pedal if you have the standard level maxed and gain 0 you get less mids than you would normally get from the pedal.

I use a Maxon OD-9 and I still notice a mid boost when I use it as a boost. I want something more transparent for my rythym playing. The Fulltone mosfet drive 2 does look like my pedal so far.
Quote by kurtlives91
Full Drive 2
Xotic AC, RC, BB
Maxon 808

Are all tweaked Tubescreamers, bland boring and over done. All will boost the mids a bit.

Whats your suggestion?