Today, I got a chance to try out my teacher's Russian Big Muff. I thought it sounded terrible on the lower notes, but actually really good when playing higher up on the neck. I also got to see how you completely drop out of the mix in a band setting (actually, it wasn't even a "band." He played guitar for part of the lesson, and that alone made me hard to hear). I feel like it would be useful for upper register soloing, but only if you cranked the volume knob, and even then, only if no one else was playing at the same time.

It seems like a lot of people either love the big muff or hate it. Anyone else feel the same way I do?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
You can get a Bass Big Muff nowadays instead and not lose any low end if that bothers you.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's a guitar pedal. Why would I use it for bass?

I wouldn't, but a lot of people do. Plus, there are plenty of guitar pedals that sound fine on bass.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
You can get a Bass Big Muff nowadays instead and not lose any low end if that bothers you.

I've seen those before. I still wouldn't get one, though, because of the lack of mid-range
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
So it sounds like crap when you play bass notes but it sounds great when you play guitar notes. Makes sense to me!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by kugelspot
I wouldn't, but a lot of people do. Plus, there are plenty of guitar pedals that sound fine on bass.

You sound like one of the salesfolk at my local Guitar Center

"Do you guys have any compression pedals for bass on sale?"

Sales 'Tard: Umm...phil, do they make compression stuff for bass?

I guess i find using guitar stuff on bass amusing, but unpractical. Something you dick around with for a few minutes, go "hmm," and then put away before band practice. Guitards think playing bass through guitar related gear is the damn coolest thing ever, because to the vast majority of them, anything that doesnt sound like heavily distorted guitar noise must be some instrument with an unpronounceable name played by aborigines.

You can get a good sound from your higher register with tone tweaking and roundwounds - if you dont think John Entwistles high register tone is an orgasm through a massive array of amps, then...suit yourself i guess?
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
I guess i find using guitar stuff on bass amusing, but unpractical. Something you dick around with for a few minutes, go "hmm," and then put away before band practice.

Really? I use a guitar wah (Morley PWB), and a distortion pedal with both guitar and bass settings, and I use the guitar mode almost as much as the bass mode (the difference really isn't that big, just slightly less low end). Although, some people have said that I play bass like a guitarist (which is weird, because I don't play guitar). I think part of it is genre, though (most of the great metal bassists just shred and kind of act like guitarists).

I think part of it is what you use your effects for. I mostly use them for soloing, so losing a bit of low end and sounding like a guitar aren't that bad. Someone who is more in the background would probably hate losing any low end.

That said, the low end loss with the Muffs is unacceptable, even for me. I don't really mind sounding similar to a guitar. Using a distortion pedal that makes me sound exactly like a guitar and is unusable for anything except soloing is another story.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Last edited by kugelspot at Feb 16, 2009,
I use a Sovtek Big Muff...

Keeps all my low end.

and I'm not lost in the mix.

I blend a little bit better and make the whole thing sound really heavier, and I'm still not lost.

and Guitar pedals are work fine for bass... Some may not sound all that great, but they all work.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"