So I've been playing for 1.5 years. I've been thinking, is solid rhythm playing essential to soloing? I would like to improve on my rhythm before moving to solos. So i've decided to learn rhythm guitar for my favourite Megadeth songs.

Is this a good idea?
yes, thats a great idea. cause if you ever want or expect to be in a band, you'll need to be able to keep time, and if youre too speedy when your rhythm guy is playing it just wont work, so thats an excellent idea.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by Shikari4
So I've been playing for 1.5 years. I've been thinking, is solid rhythm playing essential to soloing? I would like to improve on my rhythm before moving to solos. So i've decided to learn rhythm guitar for my favourite Megadeth songs.

Is this a good idea?

Rhythm imo is essential to soloing - if you can't get a rhythm part right (timing, understanding key etc.) you're not going to be able to play a good solo over the top of one.
its good to have a great rythm playing. that way, you know the song better and can apply chops more comfortably over it, without going out of beat or key.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Knowledge of rhythm is definately essential for soloing. If you can't play rhythm, you're useless.

That said, you should also start learning scales, to see how leads fit with the rhythm guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Shikari4

Is this a good idea?

Yes, absolutely essential - what makes a good solo is the choice of notes in context, how they sound over whatever's currently playing underneath the lead line. You can only really do that if you understand the rhythm part fully, and you can't effectively do that until you can play it. You also need to understand how chords work harmonically and how adding different notes, which is a lot of what you do when soloing, will change that harmony, either by reinforcing it or destabilising it. That leads on to tension and resolution - you need to know what chords your playing over at any time, even if they aren't actually there but are just implied, so you know which notes you can home in on to pull everything back together.

And all that is without actually thinking about the rhythmic side of things, making sure your timing and phrasing fits with all the other insruments. And the most obvious one is that a guitarist doesn't usually spend all their time playing solos, you have to play rhythm parts most of the time.

Rhythm or lead isn't a choice, they're just aspects of the same "job" which is playing guitar, however rhythm is the most important one because that's what carries a song.

I wouldn't start with Megadeth songs though, if you genuinely don't play a lot of rhythm guitar then start right at the beginning. Review everything you think you've learned right back to your open chords and fill any gaps in your knowledge, and above all teach yourself why things work musically - you can't build anything without a strong foundation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 15, 2009,
Oh ok! Thanks for the advice. I'll practice more on my rhythm first then.