I have a bad habit of creating PIECES but never FULL LENGTH songs. When do you ever know when to stop trying to create a full song out of a riff? Honestly, (although I would never tell anyone this face to face) I have riffs/songs that I've been working on for the past 6 years.
If you don't have an idea of how to continue, work on something else. I've written songs based on riffs I've written between now (ish) and five years ago, when I first started to write music in PTE.

What's the difference between a piece and a song? I don't see one, but there's obviously a difference in your head.
I think if you cant see the song reflecting your best work, or if its just gonna end up being filler material, than its not worth working on/finishing
SilverchairFan makes a good point. But ow do you determine you best? Every song you start, you'll be like "Oh, this isn't my best...." You know?
sometimes you just have to let stuff percolate...or ferment...like good wine...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
To answer your question...Never.
But sometimes, you might need to put a song on the backburner for awhile. I had a riff once that sounded really cool to me. But I couldn't find anything else to go with it. Probably because it was in an odd time signature (10/4). I tried everything I could think of and nothing seemes to work. Then one day, 5 or 6 years later, I was goofing around with it, and all of a sudden it just came together. I finished the other parts, chorus, bridge and solo section in about 10 minutes.
So if you're stuck, just hang onto it. It'll write itself when you're ready.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
To answer your question...Never.
But sometimes, you might need to put a song on the backburner for awhile. I had a riff once that sounded really cool to me. But I couldn't find anything else to go with it. Probably because it was in an odd time signature (10/4). I tried everything I could think of and nothing seemes to work. Then one day, 5 or 6 years later, I was goofing around with it, and all of a sudden it just came together. I finished the other parts, chorus, bridge and solo section in about 10 minutes.
So if you're stuck, just hang onto it. It'll write itself when you're ready.

That is how I get my stuff done. Just leave it for another day and write another composition. Switch to something that is quite different from what you were originally writing. You'll definitely see the ideas flow after that.
Quote by alex0203
SilverchairFan makes a good point. But ow do you determine you best? Every song you start, you'll be like "Oh, this isn't my best...." You know?

Good point, as well. What I mean more specifically is when you are happy with all aspects of the song, and feel its best the way it is. Basically, when you do your best and are satisfied with the finished product. Thats more or less what I call my best work, something I look back at and wouldnt change any aspect of.