Page 1 of 2
im just curious as to what is out there. i can see there are plenty good metal combos out there but they are all american voiced. valveking, 6505 combo, b52 ect. are there any similar amps with a british flavour?
Not sure if it'll be high gain enough for you, but give Orange a look, their gainstages can get pretty nasty cranked, in a good way.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Not sure if it'll be high gain enough for you, but give Orange a look, their gainstages can get pretty nasty cranked, in a good way.

Orange amps are great, and I know this because my mate has one, but they don't really do distortion as such, it's more of an overdrive-type sound. That said, they do have a very wide gain range and can get some serious crunch going on, and there are metal bands that use them. If you crank them all the way up they do have enough gain for metal, but the fundamental voicing of the overdrive means it wont quite suit the genre as much as others.

There might be metal versions of Orange amps that you can get, but if not you could just try combining a normal one with a distortion pedal to get the metal sound, then crank the gain up to get great high-gain sounds.
Laney GH-50/100 or Laney VH 100r are well known for their superb distortion and british voicing
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
What's "cheapish"?

As far as a high gain british sound, Splawn comes to mine, my buddy 311 has one (a quickrod) which I had the honor to play tonight and it's a simply amazing amp. The QR has plenty of gain, I believe the nitro's have more and are voiced for more modern stuff.

Mesa stiletto comes to mind, mesa's take on the jcm800. Hatebreeder has one, he got is after he sold a jcm800 he had, he said it's better in every way.

JCM900, supposed to be an 800 with more gain, never been able to play one.

JCM2000 DSL, lots of gain on tap, not really a fan of this amp personally, but what do I know? Certainly fits the bill of a high gain british amp.

Cornford makes some high gain amps, but they aren't what I'd call cheap. Actually none of the amps I listed are very cheap beside the two marshalls, even then the DSL is pretty expensive new.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well, my peavey windsor is a "british voice", but im not sure what hi-gain metal is ... the head and cab was five hundred dollars together. everything with gain about 6 on most amps sounds metal to me XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
well i have an ac15 that i am thinking of replacing since my music tastes have changed. it sounds far too loose and doesnt agree with overdrive pedals well.

the tone im aiming for is opeth's tone in watershed. i also would like to get some guthrie govan tones. (i know he uses cornfords which are expensive as hell)

probably 1500 aud max
Last edited by no_thing101 at Feb 15, 2009,
Laney AOR, if you can find one.

Australia is always hard. Try and go for what Kevin said.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Quote by no_thing101
well i have an ac15 that i am thinking of replacing since my music tastes have changed. it sounds far too loose and doesnt agree with overdrive pedals well.

the tone im aiming for is opeth's tone in watershed. i also would like to get some guthrie govan tones. (i know he uses cornfords which are expensive as hell)

probably 1500 aud max

For that price you could get a GH50L + 2x12 cab.

But I'd suggest just going to a few different stores and trying heaps of amps and see which one you like.
I would highly look at the Mesa Stiletto Stage 2. Supposed to really sound great, looking for one myself.

Orange

Splawn

Obviously Marshall. But I'd avoid the JCM 800 and even 900 if you are playing metal.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
i saw a jcm900 going for 630 dollars at my store the other day. has enough gain for most metal, and a very thrashy british sound. to RJF, since when were splawns cheap(ish)?

EDIT: also, a peavey XXX has a bias switch, so if you want british sound you can flip the switch and put in EL34's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by OrangeWalls
Laney GH-50/100 or Laney VH 100r are well known for their superb distortion and british voicing

my rhythm guitarist in my band has the gh-50, that **** is br00tal.
Laney AOR can do metal if you throw an OD on it
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Kevin Saale
What's "cheapish"?
JCM900, supposed to be an 800 with more gain, never been able to play one.

DUDE, i can finally correct you

sorry man i have to take this opportunity, for the many times you've shared your knowledge with me

their more modern voiced, with more gain, and actually a lot more features (effects loop, reverb, clean channel instead of "normal" channel etc.)

had to do it man
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Bostonrocks
Laney AOR can do metal if you throw an OD on it

my other guitarist in my band doesnt even put a OD infront of his GH 50 and it does super br00talz and his gain is at like 6.
you need the OD to tighten it up a bit not for more gain the thing has globs of gain but it's a bit vintage voiced think JCM800 on steroids
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by RJF

Obviously Marshall. But I'd avoid the JCM 800 and even 900 if you are playing metal.

Despite Georgakis needing a chill pill, he's right

800 is the original thrash amp, and the 900 can pull off Metal pretty easily
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
My Traynor is pretty good at british voice distortion channel. It does pretty well that Marshall crunch thing. I've never played a JCM800 (which is the definition of a high gain british voiced amp), but my Traynor seems to do the the whole 80s hard rock thing very well.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by acdclandon
Despite Georgakis needing a chill pill, he's right

800 is the original thrash amp, and the 900 can pull off Metal pretty easily

correct me if im wrong, but im 90% sure the rhythm guitarist for the devil wears prada uses a JCM 900 and there pretty Br00tal. it just shows the tone they can get, which some may not agree but its still achieving that kind of distortion.
Quote by convictionless
correct me if im wrong, but im 90% sure the rhythm guitarist for the devil wears prada uses a JCM 900 and there pretty Br00tal. it just shows the tone they can get, which some may not agree but its still achieving that kind of distortion.

also i read that Andreas Kisser of Sepultura used one at some point, which even if he didn't use it prominently shows that it can pull off thrash things at least somewhat well
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
bahaha, just found this out, one of the 3 guitarists of whitechapel uses a JCM900 with a Maxon. lol, a JCM900 can now pull of deathcore..
Quote by RJF
I would highly look at the Mesa Stiletto Stage 2. Supposed to really sound great, looking for one myself.

Orange

Splawn

well you may wanna tell that to my Marshall JCM 900 and King and Hannemens JCM 800`s

i run my 900 with a BCR KKV with EMG`s and the PA2 booster with a MXR 108 10 band, and i have more gain on tap then ANYONE would EVER need, but yes the 900 does metal very easy
Quote by convictionless
bahaha, just found this out, one of the 3 guitarists of whitechapel uses a JCM900 with a Maxon. lol, a JCM900 can now pull of deathcore..

dam i'm excited, can't wait to get mine fixed and rip out some Cannibal Corpse

Quote by Slayerdeath
well you may wanna tell that to my Marshall JCM 900 and King and Hannemens JCM 800`s

i run my 900 with a BCR KKV with EMG`s and the PA2 booster with a MXR 108 10 band, and i have more gain on tap then ANYONE would EVER need, but yes the 900 does metal very easy

yet more evidence lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
dam i'm excited, can't wait to get mine fixed and rip out some Cannibal Corpse

yet more evidence lol

So you finally did get a 900? i know you`ve been asking about them for months.
Quote by Slayerdeath
So you finally did get a 900? i know you`ve been asking about them for months.

i know man i've been dying to get one finally did

although the speaker was ripped and the tubes were basically blown

but hey man its worth it
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
i know man i've been dying to get one finally did

although the speaker was ripped and the tubes were basically blown

but hey man its worth it

wicked man, i`m guessing it`s a combo. damn it, i can`t remember what kind of tubes i had put in mine, there higher gain sound awesome, wish i could remember to tell ya, but mine are EL 34`s i`m guessing yours is a 6L6.

i HIGHLY recommed a MXR 108 10 band EQ in the FX loop, best pedal EVER.
I love the JCM900 tone, metal is easy on it.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Slayerdeath
wicked man, i`m guessing it`s a combo. damn it, i can`t remember what kind of tubes i had put in mine, there higher gain sound awesome, wish i could remember to tell ya, but mine are EL 34`s i`m guessing yours is a 6L6.

i HIGHLY recommed a MXR 108 10 band EQ in the FX loop, best pedal EVER.

yeah its a 1x12, i'm probably going JJ to make it darker, because i've heard its bright will will help balance it out

i'm going 6L6 i think, just a better fit

and yeah man i have that pedal (got it for Christmas) and will try it in the loop, sounds like the secret to the King/Hanneman tone (along with EMG's and the booster you have as well)

when i get it up and running you'll have to give me some tips on nailing that tone, because i do want it
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
New Bugera's are coming out, marshall clones.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
New Bugera's are coming out, marshall clones.

they might sound good but I'm still worried about their reliability....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
900 series roolz....rips your face right off.

i have jj el34ls in miine landon...and jj ecc83s preamps tooborz.
Last edited by georgakis187 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by georgakis187
900 series roolz....rips your face right off.

i have jj el34ls in miine landon...and jj ecc83s preamps tooborz.

hey thanks man, i wish i could test out the amp with EL34's and see what i think, but alas the tubes are blown
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by no_thing101

it sounds okay, but it has these problems:
-COMPLETELY overpriced, realistically you could cut the price in half and that should be the price, but because it says "Marshall" on the front its grossly expensive
-you pretty much have to get a speaker change to get anything really good
-there's way better stuff for that much
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
it sounds okay, but it has these problems:
-COMPLETELY overpriced, realistically you could cut the price in half and that should be the price, but because it says "Marshall" on the front its grossly expensive
-you pretty much have to get a speaker change to get anything really good
-there's way better stuff for that much

well for what it is it fits the bill. what is similar that is out there. would a used jcm 800/900 combo sound better? what else does the same but is cheaper?

i dont need lots of power
Page 1 of 2