Hi everyone,

Just got a quick question for everyone.

I have a Fender 5 string but to be entirely honest i rarely use the 5th string (the low B).

My bands got a gig coming up and I've been looking into getting some new strings.

Although it is not a massive differeNce i price, the 5 string packs are noticably more expensive.

Would i be justified in just buying four string pack and continuing with the same low B?

Thanks
i wouldnt even get new strings, they fall out tune quickly ... and bass strings dont seem to break easily
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Oh ok. Well thanks for the input. The only issue for me is that I havn't changed them in about a year and they are sounding a bit dull?
Go ahead and change, them and i would also change the low b aswell. When you change your strings you can also do a full setup, ie action, inotation etc. If your putting a new set of roundwounds on your tone will be become more bright. I would still go and get a full new set.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You could buy just a regular 4-pack of GDAE and not replace the B string if it's rarely used.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
if they sound a bit dull, you could try boiling the strings.
i read about it in a guitar magazine, and it apparently can make them sound newer, and get rid of the gunk on them
it shortens the life a little, but they only need to last you one night by the sounds of it
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
if they sound a bit dull, you could try boiling the strings.
i read about it in a guitar magazine, and it apparently can make them sound newer, and get rid of the gunk on them
it shortens the life a little, but they only need to last you one night by the sounds of it

I've read that this works, but will cause the strings to rust, and ruin them. That same article said that soaking them in denaturized alcohol for, I think, 24 hours is supposed to work better. I've never tried it though, so it could be wrong.
^Oh yes, stainless steel and nickel are pretty easy to rust

Anywho, if you don't use the B string there's no real problem in not replacing it as long as you get a decently consistent gauging of other strings.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Oh yes, stainless steel and nickel are pretty easy to rust

I'm assuming thats sarcasm. But, nickel does rust pretty easily. If you need the strings to last a long time, get coated stainless ones
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Your better off replaceing them all.

Bear in mind that if you change the guage of your strings you will have too do saddle adjustments if its alot.

Why dont you just replace them and start too practice using the low B? Your better off just selling it and getting a 4-string.....
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
why not try tuning your bass to EADGC?
you might like that high C better than you do the low B.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Boil The Strings.

Boil water in a pot as you would f you were cooking pasta :P

Wrap them in a clean Cloth

Whent he water is on a Rolling Boil, (bubbling)

Put the strings in there and stir

when they come out you can soak them in Denturized Alchohol, Metholated Spirits, or somehing similar.

Works perfectly, gets them sounding new

Makes them break a little easier, but, still, only a problem if you slap the **** out off your Bass
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by kugelspot
I'm assuming thats sarcasm. But, nickel does rust pretty easily. If you need the strings to last a long time, get coated stainless ones

Yes I was being sarcastic. Stainless steel is nearby impossible to rust (which is why they use it in commercial and home kitchens so much) and nickel is quite unreactive, especially at room temperature, which your strings would be at almost always.

Also, I agree with with the person who suggested EADGC tuning. I've tuned my bass that way now and it's opened up huge possibilities for me.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Also, I agree with with the person who suggested EADGC tuning. I've tuned my bass that way now and it's opened up huge possibilities for me.

i cant wait till i get 5 string for this reason. i like the upper range of a bass.

names dan by the way

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Beware though, Dan, the high C can lead to dangerous places. It's opened so many doors creatively, that it's lead me to a place where I can't play anything but me happily. It's awesome, but at the same time it's risky because you'll be less inclined to play other people's music and other people's styles. BEWARE!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Beware though, Dan, the high C can lead to dangerous places. It's opened so many doors creatively, that it's lead me to a place where I can't play anything but me happily. It's awesome, but at the same time it's risky because you'll be less inclined to play other people's music and other people's styles. BEWARE!

You . . . . you say that like it's a bad thing. WTF?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

haha you sound like im about to enter a temple to retrieve the holy grail.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
nickel is quite unreactive, especially at room temperature, which your strings would be at almost always.

But, it still corrodes much more than stainless steel. Probably not as much as, say, iron, but they start getting pretty nasty after about 3 weeks (or at least my Sunbeams do)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
But, it still corrodes much more than stainless steel. Probably not as much as, say, iron, but they start getting pretty nasty after about 3 weeks (or at least my Sunbeams do)

wash your hands maybe?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Freunleven
You . . . . you say that like it's a bad thing. WTF?

It can be a very bad thing. No one wants to hear different or innovative, they want to hear the same old shit that's already been done. And if you get to the point where you can't stand to play without your own style it can become difficult to play music. I'm just lucky to have developed my style of thinking and playing with my drummer so I always have someone to play music with.
Quote by shinhoman
haha you sound like im about to enter a temple to retrieve the holy grail.

x

And...?
Quote by kugelspot

Well, stainless steel doesn't corrode (or, I should say, within normal constraints), so it's not hard to corrode "much more" than stainless steel. Also, you may just be seeing dirt, because nickel probably won't rust in three weeks, especially if you haven't exposed them to anything funny.