Hi all, found this forum as I have been looking for a solution to my problem.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer.

I have a an edwards esp eclipse and I have recently changed the pickups for emgs, they are all installed the right way round. However the 81 at the bridge sounds like your playing at the neck, its not whinney enough. I dont have a tone control so it aint that. I have changed to thicker strings though. I am clueless and gutted, is this how they normally sound

What does you reckon
cheers
Sounds odd, I installed EMG 81's in my ESP/LTD AX-50 recently and my bridge sounds nice and clear. Maybe it's because you don't have a tone, but I don't think it should matter that much. And how much thicker strings are you playing with, because I play with .11 strings and that doesn't make my bridge EMG sound muddy. Did you also try to change your tone on the amp and stuff? Because with new pickups your settings should be adjusted.
Gear:
Guitar - ESP/LTD AX-50 with dual EMG 81
Amps - Coxx CG-15 40watt / VOX AmPlug Metal
Pedal - Behringer Ultra Metal UM100
Well since the EMG's are actives are u sure the battery ur using is in good condition and the rite specs for ur pups. U could try switching the battery and trying...
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Raise the pickup so it's closer to the strings.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I messed with the controls on my gear, but you know when your are playing at the neckand it still sounds that way when you adjust the tones, thats how mine is. It just doesnt wail, you really wouldnt geuss that its a bridge pickup, it doesnt sound 100% neck but it certainly doesnt sound like the bridge. The strings are only .10. The original pick ups were emg - select, they were alright.
Try what the other guys said, raise the EMG's or switch the battery because an (almost) empty battery can kill the sound.
Gear:
Guitar - ESP/LTD AX-50 with dual EMG 81
Amps - Coxx CG-15 40watt / VOX AmPlug Metal
Pedal - Behringer Ultra Metal UM100
probably the battery
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Seriously, I can't believe anyone (other than ^) has said the 18V mod.

Search 'Ultimate 18V Thread' and do that. you will love it.
------

Shwiggity.
i just quickly skimmed the thread so i don't know if the answer is in here somewhere but how close to the strings is the 81 ? they need to be really close to the strings to sound right since the magnetic pull from emgs is weak.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Modding to 18v won't take a "loose" sounding 81 to "tight". If an 81 sounds loose it's not because it's only running at 9v. 81's running at 9v sound tight as vice grips if you play them properly, and if your 81 sounds loose it's because something isn't right. Modding to 18v will improve your sound, although that is just a subjective opinion...here are my thoughts, some of which have been covered:

1. Raise/lower pickup to proper height.
2. Replace the battery, even if you think it's new, just in case.
3. Turn your gain down. High gain amps can get muddy as crap if you turn up the gain too high. For example, I rarely set the gain on Mesa Recto's past 2/3rds or so for teh br00talz metal riffing, and then nudge it up a smidge for "scorching" lead sounds. Seriously, too much gain in low end riffs will make it sound like sludge. This problem might have appeared because you're using the same gain settings as you did on your old pickups, but the 81 is hotter.
4. Thicker strings.
5. Pick made of harder material that is thick and has a sharp point. This will do wonders for brightening and tightening low end riffery.
6. Adjust tone on your amp
7. Make sure the pickup was installed correctly.

That's about it. I've never ever in my life heard anyone say the 81 sounded loose, so I'm pretty sure there must be something "wrong" here for you to be getting that kind of sound.
either your batteries are dead or you wired up the 18v mod incorrectly.

and what do you mean you are lacking a tone control?
Did you use the correct pots, or the ones that were already in the guitar?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by aradroxar
amp?

this and pedal

i used to run my emgs throgh a boss ds-1 and a compressor, and it sounded like ****, all broken and muddy. and through my fender frontman, sucks about the same, but through my peavey, sounds like a dream.
Thick strings shouldnt be the problem, as I use 0.059 in my 6th string and the 81 is not muddy at all.

Id check the pots and swap the 81 for the neck pickup and see whats wrong. Also, check the tone line.
What amp are you using?
And what pots
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
From what you are described, I'm almost positive that it has to do with you not having a tone knob.
Quote by jimi32293
From what you are described, I'm almost positive that it has to do with you not having a tone knob.

That should make it brighter, actually.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
yeah, did u replace the pot (knob) with the one that came woth the emg? if not, do so.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
like angus said replace the pots. I am suprised no one has said CAPACITOR yet! Did you replace that capacitor as well. try decreasing the value, if it's .0047uf go to .0022uF, and if it is .0022uf go to .0010uF or hell. try it without the tone capacitor as well. That'll take care of it I think. Can ya get us a picture of what your pup cavity looks like atm?