so i'm doing GCSE music at my school, i did unholy confessions for my group performance, and go 25/25, but i can't think of something to do for my solo piece,

i thought of doing canon rock, only my sweeping isn't great at all, so i thought of the halo theme, but i was wondering if anyone has any good ideas. i have about two weeks to learn the piece i'm gonna do btw

so yeah...help?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Cliffs of Dover

/Obligitory post

i swear that has an insane sweep of like the whole fretboard...
thanks anyway though, one of my mates was gonna do that, he's been playing year longer than me, and gave up staight away, soo idk :/
Quote by alex-158
i swear that has an insane sweep of like the whole fretboard...
thanks anyway though, one of my mates was gonna do that, he's been playing year longer than me, and gave up staight away, soo idk :/

what.. ?
have a look at dialogue with the stars by in flames, its fairly easy all the way and it would work very well if you had two guitarists. also, if you have heard of in flames and dont like them, still check this song out because it is an instrumental and very different from their newer stuff
buckethead

>.>

<.<

but seriously just get liek a grade 5 or 6 guitar exam book and learn summet out of that
its all really piss easy and what all of my mates are doing for there pieces
Duke Nukem theme tune. Do it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
well ... your not marked on how hard the song is. your marked on how well you play it and how many differant chords and techniques are used. i did master of puppets because i couldnt be bothered to learn a new song XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
the rising by trivium
I did it and got top marks
Bands to see before I die:
Again:
Machine Head
Lamb Of God
JFAC
BTBAM
TesseracT
Pendulum

For the First time:
Periphery
Texures
Monuments
Mumford & Sons
The Prodigy
Paolo Nutini

CASTODIUM!!!
myspace.com/castodium
I did the interlude to 'Orion', got me an A
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
You really don;t have to play a very hard piece to get maximum marks. I'm pretty sure you get full difficulty marks for anything around a grade four standard. I played purple haze for mine and got full marks.
Trust in me and fall aswell.
I playe Down To Mexico by Paul Gilbert and got 29/30.
I improvised half the song
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Don't make it too hard for yourself. Maybe get yourself an acoustic, and try something different, other than metal; Yesterday by The Beatles (cliché as it seems) would be a good one. Even better if you can sing it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Remember that the examiners are looking for quality over quantity, so it doesn't have to be very long at all. In fact, I did this for my solo piece, it's 1:37 and I got full marks.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
Remember that the examiners are looking for quality over quantity, so it doesn't have to be very long at all. In fact, I did this for my solo piece, it's 1:37 and I got full marks.

Hmmmmmm now we know that...

Shogun by Trivium!!!
12 minutes of brutality and a blues solo

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
You dont have to do something that hard.. its more about accuracy than difficulty, I did Blackbird by the Beatles, got an A overall
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
i did voodoo child and almost got full marks.

so anyone finished there intergrated assignment?
Sigs Are For Pussies
i got the same problem
thinkin of doin down to mexico but id have to impro some of the solo
Quote by antman4

so anyone finished there intergrated assignment?

What is it this year? Last year i had to do a folk song, i went Irish and grabbed a mandolin
My Gear

Quote by alex-158
so i'm doing GCSE music at my school, i did unholy confessions for my group performance, and go 25/25, but i can't think of something to do for my solo piece,

i thought of doing canon rock, only my sweeping isn't great at all, so i thought of the halo theme, but i was wondering if anyone has any good ideas. i have about two weeks to learn the piece i'm gonna do btw

so yeah...help?

I'd reccomend doing something you already know well. and dont make it too complicated, you dont want to risk messing up. I did my GCSE's last year.

I did seek and destroy by metallica and war pigs by black sabbath. Both pretty easy songs, and i impovised the solo's because that's easier aswell. I got 50/50 for them.
Last edited by Azwethinkwedo at Feb 15, 2009,
I did The Trooper by Iron Maiden without the solos, and that got me top grade. Really anything with moderatley hard riffing wil get you an A.
having looked at your first piece, the following occured to me. Don't the two pieces have to be from two different Assessment criteria. I did a turnary form piece for my first piece and a musical song for my second (ensemble).

But doesn't canon rock in essence fit into the same criteria as unholy confessions. Maybe you should learn a different piece, or play the original by Pachabel.

No pieces spring to mind at the moment though.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by xander307
What is it this year? Last year i had to do a folk song, i went Irish and grabbed a mandolin

I did a folk-influence song too, I just got a standard metal band, added a fiddle and contrabass and ripped off Eluveitie.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

at his command
Quote by CTFOD

Do you know the chords that go under that?
Phantom of the opera by Iron Maiden is a pretty good choice.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Theres 4 marks for how hard the song actually is.

1 - grade 1
2 - grade 2
3 - grade 3
4 - grade 4.

....just learn a br00tal vesion of twinkle twinkle
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by Volvic
Do you know the chords that go under that?

Not off by heart, but there's a GP tab on this site which has the piano, if you have Guitar Pro.

Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Theres 4 marks for how hard the song actually is.

1 - grade 1
2 - grade 2
3 - grade 3
4 - grade 4.

....just learn a br00tal vesion of twinkle twinkle

At A-Level, we have to do arrangements of existing songs, I did the Trooper as a piano thing, my friend did Hallelujah as a disco thing, and someone else did Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as a tuba thing and called it (After copying my idea) 'Blinken-Blinken Wenig Stern'.
Quote by duncang

at his command
Last edited by CTFOD at Feb 15, 2009,
Would Blackbird by The Beatles be a decent piece for solo performance?
Always With Me, Always With You by Satriani. It's an easy enough piece with a few tough bits, but you'll get marked highly because its just a great sounding song.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Pooinsky
Would Blackbird by The Beatles be a decent piece for solo performance?

I'd say its just the right difficulty, and you can put alot of feel into that song, i love it
My Gear

I got 25/25 with Cryin' - Joe Satriani
its out of 15 marks for accuracy
and out of 10 marks for expression
and that piece is just perfect for it.

Not hard, yet great for pouring some emotion into it.
Quote by ibrahimasood
How about Nothing Else Matters by Metallica?

I did that, it goes into the top difficulty bracket too.