I bought an Epiphone dot recently, and i noticed that some notes have very little sustain. the E, 14th fret D string for example, only lasts about 2 seconds and is completey gone then. it just fades out real quickly after the 2 seconds.
there are some other places where this occurs, like the 4th fret B string.

any idea how to fix this or what the problem is ?

Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 15, 2009,
Could also be the truss rod is a bit too tight or an uneven fret - obviously don't mess around with stuff like that unless you're 100% confident.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my action is very high (i like it that way) and the strings are new.

Quote by steven seagull
Could also be the truss rod is a bit too tight or an uneven fret - obviously don't mess around with stuff like that unless you're 100% confident.

how can i see if the truss rod is too tight ?
and how can i check for an uneven fret ?
for the truss rod you need to fret the low E string at the first fret and also where the neck meets the body - if you have a capo stick that on the first fret to make things easier. That turns the string into a ghetto straightedge so you can check the relief on the neck, ideally there should be a slight forward bow which means there'll be a small gap aroud the 7th fret, about the thickness of a credit card but the optimum size does vary from guitar to guitar. If there's no gap and the string is flat across the fretboard all the way along then the truss rod is too tight and is pulling the neck back a little too much.

As frets do that's a lot harder to check, you can try playing around on different notes and seeing where the problem occurs and where it doesn't in an effort to narrow it down but it's not an exact science unfortunately.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
truss rod seems to be good.

i guess that only leaves an uneven fret...

how can i fix this or should a tech do it ?

thanks for the help everyone btw, and a special thanks to steven seagull
for frets, i like to lower the action till i get fret buzz (moderate amount, still playable) throughout the neck and play all frets on all strings to find out where it buzzes really badly or even plays one semitone sharp.
..\/ --- press here buzz/semitone sharp then...
| o | . | < that fret is high.
Get it set up by someone you know is good. Don't take it to some random guitar shop. I've heard some real horror stories of guys who set their guitars up terrible.
Proud owner of a Les Paul