hey guys, I've been having this problem ever since I started recording about a year ago and I really just cant take it anymore. whenever I record a song spontaneously without a click (usually a little sloppy) my song sounds great and really inspired. I can almost always get a great performance this way...

the problem is when I record like that the recording sounds less than stellar because I usually beat the guitar really hard (acoustic) and for some reason I can never get a good recording when I play really loud on my acoustic, even when it sounds great to my ear in the room. (I have a pretty decent guitar and recording setup, sm57/58 with an m-audio-profire610 in logic) the main problem isn't the quality of the recording though its with the click...i can deal with a lo-fi recording if the performance is really compelling...a lot of my favorite artists put out their albums like that its just...

Ive been trying for almost a year to fix this problem but I cant no matter how much I practice...I've been thinking maybe its because the click is always in perfect time and my guitar parts go on some sort of swing....I don't know but I don't know anyone in real life who plays music and records so i have no one to ask. Furthermore I can play just fine with a real drummer...

it just kills me that the problem is always worse when the song is better!

lastly, when I do manage to get songs to go to the click they sound really stale and uninspired and lifeless and boring...has anyone ever had this problem?

I feel like I've tried everything and nothing works

thanks for reading this
if i try to record with a click it always goes off beat, but when i record with a drum track it sounds fine.

tried playing over a drum track and then muting it afterwards?

don't know if this is what you're looking for but...
CHECK OUT MAH SONGS PLZ
Quote by theR
if i try to record with a click it always goes off beat, but when i record with a drum track it sounds fine.

tried playing over a drum track and then muting it afterwards?

don't know if this is what you're looking for but...

yeah this definitely helps me a lot, but often times it still doesn't do quite the trick, I have the most trouble when the drum parts are really simple, and as i record primarily mellow folk or indie rock and when i play over a more aggressive drum part it alters the vibe of the music.

I actually play percussion myself by using a pedal bass drum and tambourine or hat when i play guitar...its just i cant record all that at once...it only makes it even more frustrating.
Practice playing to a metronome when your not recording. Eventually it will become easy. And when bands record they almost always use a click.
Quote by blackmajik2021

lastly, when I do manage to get songs to go to the click they sound really stale and uninspired and lifeless and boring...has anyone ever had this problem?

When you practice with a metronome, your timing will get better. That's all it is. There's nothing inherent in a steady beat that is lifeless and boring.
I have the same trouble with a click. Out comes the electric drummer and I'm good. I think its 'cos the click just sounds too impersonal.
Lawks, did I just compliment living drummers? Wash my mouth out.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x