the DS-1 really relies on you already having a good tone. It's a very dry sounding pedal, doesn't change tone much, so you have to have a good tone in the first place, otherwise it won't sound good.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
if you mod it yes. otherwise not that good.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
get a ds-2 xD only like 15 bucks more expensive and waaaay better (that dude from RHCP uses one)
gear :epiphone g400 custom
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ

beaners gonna kick you in the face
The DS-1 is a run of the mill digital distortion pedal.

It performs very well after a few mods, but until then, it is still just a cheap pedal.
Try it out, see if you like the tone. If you do, buy it, cos unlike the MG amp, it WONT BREAK!
Quote by the_bastard
get a ds-2 xD only like 15 bucks more expensive and waaaay better (that dude from RHCP uses one)

That dude is John Frusciante, and yes, the DS-2 is Great.

The best answer to your question is: Try it out, see how you like it.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by FarewellMemory
The DS-1 is a run of the mill digital distortion pedal.

It performs very well after a few mods, but until then, it is still just a cheap pedal.
Try it out, see if you like the tone. If you do, buy it, cos unlike the MG amp, it WONT BREAK!

it's not digital.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

I have one, outgrew it fast; gave it to a guitarist friend, and he used it instead of his MG combo's distortion all the time and thought it sounded better.

It's alright, could never do the type of sound I wanted though.
Doesn't Joe Satriani use it in Flying in a Blue Dream I think? It sounds pretty good there. My friend has one, hooks it up to an MG though and it sounds very run-of-the-mill, very dry, definitely not for really thick and crunchy tones if that's what you're looking for.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Does it also have the flux capacitor?

Naw, it couldn't get enough jiggawatts into the damn thing for it to work.

Seriously though, my PhiS-1 is the ****. It sounds bloody amazing, good range from light overdrive to full on high gain, it plus my modded Valve Junior that stays clean even cranked = perfect tone for me.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Doesn't Joe Satriani use it in Flying in a Blue Dream I think? It sounds pretty good there. My friend has one, hooks it up to an MG though and it sounds very run-of-the-mill, very dry, definitely not for really thick and crunchy tones if that's what you're looking for.

that's because he's using a crap amp.

this is how a DS-1 can sound with a good amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCE6SDkdPDQ

i'm pretty sure this guy was using a DS-1 to boost his leads in this song (such as at the beginning). I know his settings were volume full up with distortion and tone at about 10 o'clock.

Quote by Blompcube
that's because he's using a crap amp.

this is how a DS-1 can sound with a good amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCE6SDkdPDQ

i'm pretty sure this guy was using a DS-1 to boost his leads in this song (such as at the beginning). I know his settings were volume full up with distortion and tone at about 10 o'clock.

Wow, **** me, that sounds great. But does the TS have that kind of rig right now?

edit: He's using a Peavy Vypyr 30, no experience with the Vypyr with pedals...but doesn't the Vypyr already have great digital modelling?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Last edited by Brian 1.0 at Feb 15, 2009,
i think not (both guitarists in this video were using matchless DC30s hehe), but it can be good enough with a half-decent tube amp. I have experience to say the DS-2 certainly can sound great into an overdriven tube amp, it even sounds nice with my cheap rocktronic "tweed" clone.

edit: well, distortion pedals with a digital modeller are a waste of time, something i know from experience. When i was running a digital modeller as my main amp, i never even desired a distortion pedal, i did the right thing and got a footswitch for the amp instead. Later on, when i got my first tube amp, i started getting myself pedals. then, curiosity made me try using my Boss DS-2 with my modeller (Vox AD50VT) and they just mushed the hell out of the sound, since the modelling is designed to work around a clean, dry signal.

Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
the DS-1 really relies on you already having a good tone. It's a very dry sounding pedal, doesn't change tone much, so you have to have a good tone in the first place, otherwise it won't sound good.

Yea I'd agree there, the DS-1 lets a lot of things through. I wouldn't call it transparent but its not something that will mask your tone so if your amp already sounds crap it will so even more though a DS-1. I guess thats why so many think it sucks, especially on UG but if you put it in front of a nice tube amp it sounds great.

Its not the greatest pedal and I'm looking for a new OD/Dist. pedal, but for the price it can't be beat and I like it. Its not digital like someone else here said. I like the setting where your tone knob is roughly like this \ and your Dist. knob is roughly like this / then adjust the volume to fit your setup. Gives it a nice growl.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst