the DS-1 really relies on you already having a good tone. It's a very dry sounding pedal, doesn't change tone much, so you have to have a good tone in the first place, otherwise it won't sound good.
Live Rig January 2018

Fender Baja Telecaster/Danelectro DC-12
Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS9, Fulltone OCD 1.7, Boss CS-3, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy
1964 Vox AC30TB with '69 Rola G12M "blackbacks"
Elixir Nanoweb 10-52 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
if you mod it yes. otherwise not that good.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
get a ds-2 xD only like 15 bucks more expensive and waaaay better (that dude from RHCP uses one)
gear :epiphone g400 custom
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ

beaners gonna kick you in the face
The DS-1 is a run of the mill digital distortion pedal.

It performs very well after a few mods, but until then, it is still just a cheap pedal.
Try it out, see if you like the tone. If you do, buy it, cos unlike the MG amp, it WONT BREAK!
Quote by the_bastard
get a ds-2 xD only like 15 bucks more expensive and waaaay better (that dude from RHCP uses one)

That dude is John Frusciante, and yes, the DS-2 is Great.

The best answer to your question is: Try it out, see how you like it.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by FarewellMemory
The DS-1 is a run of the mill digital distortion pedal.

It performs very well after a few mods, but until then, it is still just a cheap pedal.
Try it out, see if you like the tone. If you do, buy it, cos unlike the MG amp, it WONT BREAK!

it's not digital.
Live Rig January 2018

Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS9, Fulltone OCD 1.7, Boss CS-3, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy
I have one, outgrew it fast; gave it to a guitarist friend, and he used it instead of his MG combo's distortion all the time and thought it sounded better.

It's alright, could never do the type of sound I wanted though.
Doesn't Joe Satriani use it in Flying in a Blue Dream I think? It sounds pretty good there. My friend has one, hooks it up to an MG though and it sounds very run-of-the-mill, very dry, definitely not for really thick and crunchy tones if that's what you're looking for.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Does it also have the flux capacitor?

Naw, it couldn't get enough jiggawatts into the damn thing for it to work.

Seriously though, my PhiS-1 is the ****. It sounds bloody amazing, good range from light overdrive to full on high gain, it plus my modded Valve Junior that stays clean even cranked = perfect tone for me.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Doesn't Joe Satriani use it in Flying in a Blue Dream I think? It sounds pretty good there. My friend has one, hooks it up to an MG though and it sounds very run-of-the-mill, very dry, definitely not for really thick and crunchy tones if that's what you're looking for.

that's because he's using a crap amp.

this is how a DS-1 can sound with a good amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCE6SDkdPDQ

i'm pretty sure this guy was using a DS-1 to boost his leads in this song (such as at the beginning). I know his settings were volume full up with distortion and tone at about 10 o'clock.
Live Rig January 2018

Quote by Blompcube
that's because he's using a crap amp.

this is how a DS-1 can sound with a good amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCE6SDkdPDQ

i'm pretty sure this guy was using a DS-1 to boost his leads in this song (such as at the beginning). I know his settings were volume full up with distortion and tone at about 10 o'clock.

Wow, **** me, that sounds great. But does the TS have that kind of rig right now?

edit: He's using a Peavy Vypyr 30, no experience with the Vypyr with pedals...but doesn't the Vypyr already have great digital modelling?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Last edited by Brian 1.0 at Feb 15, 2009,
i think not (both guitarists in this video were using matchless DC30s hehe), but it can be good enough with a half-decent tube amp. I have experience to say the DS-2 certainly can sound great into an overdriven tube amp, it even sounds nice with my cheap rocktronic "tweed" clone.

edit: well, distortion pedals with a digital modeller are a waste of time, something i know from experience. When i was running a digital modeller as my main amp, i never even desired a distortion pedal, i did the right thing and got a footswitch for the amp instead. Later on, when i got my first tube amp, i started getting myself pedals. then, curiosity made me try using my Boss DS-2 with my modeller (Vox AD50VT) and they just mushed the hell out of the sound, since the modelling is designed to work around a clean, dry signal.
Live Rig January 2018

Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
the DS-1 really relies on you already having a good tone. It's a very dry sounding pedal, doesn't change tone much, so you have to have a good tone in the first place, otherwise it won't sound good.

Yea I'd agree there, the DS-1 lets a lot of things through. I wouldn't call it transparent but its not something that will mask your tone so if your amp already sounds crap it will so even more though a DS-1. I guess thats why so many think it sucks, especially on UG but if you put it in front of a nice tube amp it sounds great.

Its not the greatest pedal and I'm looking for a new OD/Dist. pedal, but for the price it can't be beat and I like it. Its not digital like someone else here said. I like the setting where your tone knob is roughly like this \ and your Dist. knob is roughly like this / then adjust the volume to fit your setup. Gives it a nice growl.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst