why is jimi hendrix widely considered the greatest of all time? he was actually a pretty sloppy player, and his music doesnt really sound that good. (to me at least)

if there is some aspect of him that makes him great that im missing, please point it out to me. i honesly want to know
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Greatest is subjective.

But for many, it's the emotion he put into his music.
Its called opinion. A lot of people have the opinion that he was brilliant. You dont. Thats all there is to it.
at the time he was revolutionary. he had extraordinary musical ability, and he could improvise and write great songs.

also, it's a matter of taste, as with most things.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Maybe you just don't get/like it?

Check out some of his non-stinking obvious work, and live stuff.
It's because he was an innovator - because he did things with the guitar that no-one had ever done before, and made music that was just so 'out there' and completely different.

His use of feedback in music - rather than something that should be eradicated - has influenced all kinds of music.

And in terms of influence - how many guitarists do you know that weren't mesmerised when they first hears Purple Haze?

I take your point, he wasn't technically gifted, and was pretty sloppy, but he did things that had never been done before.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by MalGanisWL
he's great because he was the first

The first what?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
If he played his songs without the feedback and miss-hits it wouldn't be Hendrix. He is the great.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
i think its completely ridiculous to name one person the greatest of all time. i hate seeing, oh clapton he was the greatest, oh no hendrix he was definitely the best. its ****ing ridiculous to name one single person the greatest guitar player of all time. and what are you basing it off of? skill level? records sold? there are far too many genres of music and too many players around the world (not to mention players to be), to name one specific person as the greatest player of all time. look at how many players died young, randy rhodes, dimebag, etc before they couldve reached their full potential. im sorry for the rant but i think its completely arrogant and preposterous to name one person as the greatest of all time. but thats just my opinion. but thats not to say he didnt inspire millions or pour every part of his heart and soul into his music. im not taking anything away from the guy, i just cant name one person the best ever.
in my opinon,he's the greatest because of his innovation,his showmanship,the emotion that was put into his songs...he was a great player,and inspired millions of guitarists and musicians after him.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

"That's what i spend most of my time doing,breathing a lot.I like air"-John Frusciante
Quote by duncang
The first what?

The first black on the moon.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I believe it was Bill Hicks who said 'Hendrix didn't play guitar, he just pulled his cock out and played that.'

That's really all there is to it. Hendrix wrote music that was pure passion.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by neopowell
I believe it was Bill Hicks who said 'Hendrix didn't play guitar, he just pulled his cock out and played that.'

That's really all there is to it. Hendrix wrote music that was pure passion.

or an alternative take on that statement could be that Hendrix was just plain wank.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Basically he had more soul, and imagination than everyone else. he was pretty damn fast for his time too, for a rock blues guitarist. But you cant really appreciate how great he was just from listening to his records. You have to listen to other artists and spot the obvious influences, or watch one of his live shows.

also, 9/10 guitarists will list him as an influence, or they'll list someone that lived for his music. Like zakk wylde or lenny kravitz or even satriani, they rip off hendrix in every song.

I dont paticularly enjoy the beatles, but i know they they are possibly the most important thing to happen to music in the last 200 years. like hendrix was probably the most important thing to happen to guitar since the blues.

So hendrix is often considered the greatest in most peoples opinions becuase of his original music, showmanship, his love of the guitar, his inovation, the amount of people he has influenced (wether that be directly or indirectly) the fact that he was the first real guitar god. You cant deny his greatness, even if you dont enjoy his music.

You should also read up on hendrix's life before fame, its pretty insperational. a year before his first record, and playing gigs in london and paris, he was starving on the streets.
Last edited by Azwethinkwedo at Feb 15, 2009,
i don't think he was the best PLAYER, but i do think he was the best electric guitar INNOVATOR of all time. no one was even close to doing what he was doing at that time.
Quote by tommyt
or an alternative take on that statement could be that Hendrix was just plain wank.

icwhtudidther...and I don't approve. Hendrix is awesome.

EDIT-Was awesome, I guess I should say.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by duncang
The first what?

He lost his virginity to Hendrix.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Hendrix spawned modern rock in essence. He was one of the first people to truly "overdrive" valve amps. Before then, amps were designed to have no overdrive at all. Pre-master volume amps etc. He used effects in his music to aid the emotion. He used feedback to build emotion in music etc.

He totally changed the face of live performance. He did "outrageous" things like playing the national anthem on stage with mistakes, setting fire to his instruments, playing with his tongue.

He is no means the greatest, but he changed the path for modern music and spawned the freaking Rock genre.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Jimi was an incredible song writer and performer. He played the guitar with some real emotion and his rythym playing was far ahead of it's time. I personally love Jimi but I really don't think there is one greatest of all time in anything. Except Tiger Woods.
Quote by vulgarmachine
Hendrix spawned modern rock in essence. He was one of the first people to truly "overdrive" valve amps. Before then, amps were designed to have no overdrive at all. Pre-master volume amps etc. He used effects in his music to aid the emotion. He used feedback to build emotion in music etc.

He totally changed the face of live performance. He did "outrageous" things like playing the national anthem on stage with mistakes, setting fire to his instruments, playing with his tongue.

He is no means the greatest, but he changed the path for modern music and spawned the freaking Rock genre.

Along with bands like the yardbirds and The blues breakers

I'm not saying that Hendrix didn't do his part but all this talk about him creating the rock genre is just totally off the mark.

There were plenty of bands at around the same time (and quite a few before) to move into psychedlic rock which he's also so often credited with creating.

Again yes Hendrix was creative, he used effects in an interesting way and had a distinct style but he really wasn't the guy who created modern guitar on his own, not even close.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Many bands would not be around or sound how they do if it wasnt for Hendrix
Sigs Are For Pussies