Hi there. Right now I'm on the road to Atlanta ga coming from Rochester ny. I figured this would be a good chance to get some building woods dirt cheap. I know you get certain woods dirt cheap Kyle, but exactly where do you get them and at what cost? Also if anyone just wants to share info on where certain woods are abundant down here and would be cheap in certain places feel free to share.thanks guys
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I'm in the passenger seat :p
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I don't know, but even LP's prices seem really high to me. I can score a piece of mahogany big enough for a solid 335 for 25 bucks. But that's African mahogany anyways, so being in Ohio means nothing really. Also, I picked up some really high figured birdseye maple for a guitar top (8/4) and it was 20 bucks for an 18" piece, roughly $10 per board foot. I also picked up a 1/4" thick piece of pau ferro that's about 6 feet long and 3" wide for 6 bucks.

Also, I can get swamp ash, ash, alder and all of that for cheaper than I've ever seen advertised. I buy from such a huge supplier that they probably get huge discounts. None the less, the price of wood here is amazingly cheap.

I could sell it, but I'd feel like a dick to LP to do that. Although, with the Economy being so terrible, you best watch your back! lol
Where abouts in Ohio are you? I can always go back to Rochester the Ohio route. You can PM me the details of the lumberyard if you're feeling generous.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
As far as local sources go, have you been down to Pittsford lumber? They have a price list online that I didn' think was half bad. The figured stuff is a little pricey but they've got pretty good deals on local domestics and quite a few imports (especially purpleheart for some reason)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
I checked out Matthews and Fields, and they were amazingly overpriced. I'll give Pittsford a call, and see what I can get enough Ash for two bodies for, along with enough maple for 3-4 necks.

I do feel like I can do much better on the quilted maple and mahogany though.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
mahogany is alot cheaper than what i charge, but i charge MUCH less than EVERY other company for a much better product. it costs me about 30 dollars per blank because i usually have about 6-10'' of useless material on each board due to checking and cracks and stuff. plus i charge to work the stock, which kills my plane/saw blades.
Quote by chuckflan333
I checked out Matthews and Fields, and they were amazingly overpriced. I'll give Pittsford a call, and see what I can get enough Ash for two bodies for, along with enough maple for 3-4 necks.

I do feel like I can do much better on the quilted maple and mahogany though.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement-- Depending on how you plan on putting it together, the ash will be between 10 and 20 per body. If you go neck thru and do 2-piece ash wings on the sides, you could potentially do each body for under 10 bucks. The only thing to watch out for is that their milling can get expensive quickly. They'll cut the wood so you can get it into your car but it costs like $2 a cut, so bring a truck if you're going down there and own a table saw.

But like LP said, it makes the price higher if you have to build that sort of thing into your figures. I don't know if I'd get mahogany there (though they do have some nice pieces) but the domestics are definitely a good deal. White maple is between $4 and $5 a board foot, and the stuff they put out is really clear of knots and ****.

Woodcraft down in Henrietta isn't bad either. The selection isn't great but they have these pieces of all different exotics that are 3"x24"x5/8" (or whatever thickness up to like 1/2". They're perfect for fretboards and they all cost like 9-12 bucks, plus they give a student discount. I got a beautiful quartersawn bloodwood fretboard blank there for $8 or something ridiculous like that after the discount.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...