We all know that the quality of Tabs is very variable. We are all here because we use them. How can we make them better?

Someone recently claimed that another site was more accurate. Ironically I started using UG becausethe first haf dozen tabs I got from b********r were poor.

The best way of getting better tabs are to look at the ratings, the problem is that not enough of us rate. My tabs have had over a thousnd hits between them and no ratings at all. All of my articles have been rated within minutes of going up.

The problem is that when we get the tabs we don't know the song. I usually print off the 5* and 4* tabs and the chords and go into another room to learn the song. To rate I have to find the song again on UG, often a day or so later. Yeah, I'm a slow learner.

On the plus side bassists get it right more often than guitarists.

So cmon, How do we get more ratings?
I can usually find a good quality gp5 tab. I find those are the most accurate. I love how when I search a band that the average person doesnt know about, most of the tabs are guitar pro files.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
We make the artists tab out tesongs for us...

But the main problem is the actual tab is it not. the person who tabbed it, had different msettings from the person who wants to learn it. So the g might be diferent from someone elses. Also the set up off the bass can affect this, the inotation could be off. I find the easiest thing to do, if that if im learning a song for a band situaton, is to ask the guitarist what tab, or key he learned it in and go from their, agleast me and the guitarist will match up.

Bu really i dont see ratings giving huge cause for one user to use that tab. Of course some tabs have been taking straight from books so are obviosuly right.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The problem I'm getting at is that the sheer size of UG is going to create new problems. new tabs are coming in at getting on for 1000 a week, some of these are for 20 year old songs with six versions already up.

I'm not too worried for myself but when you are starting to learn a good accurate tab is really encouraging and frankly it has got to be better to have a good tab than a bad one.

The problem is how do you sort the poor duplicates from a third of a million tabs without more people joining in to help
Quote by Phil Starr
The problem is how do you sort the poor duplicates from a third of a million tabs without more people joining in to help

you use your little brain to make the 4-click decision yourself.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
I don't think I explained this very well.

If you don't know about it at galaxyzoo.org there is a project where astrophysisists are using ordinary people to sort through the universe. They simply have too much data to sort through themselves so sticking it on the web and getting us to do it makes sense.

UG staff will never be able to sort through the tabs.

surely no=one thinks that the site wouldn't be better without removing some of the rubbish where better versions exist.

Any one with a couple of years experience does this everytime we learn a new song. As you are clearly telling me.

The trouble is very few of us are feeding that back in. We are taking but not giving.

So, does anyone have any constructive ideas about how to feed back all of the stuff you so clearly work out back into the system?
Quote by Phil Starr
So, does anyone have any constructive ideas about how to feed back all of the stuff you so clearly work out back into the system?

Huh?

This seems like a non-issue, imo. Why do we need to filter out the poorly-rated or bad tabs? That's what the ratings are for, anyway. It would be great if people could rate them more often, but if you're using it and know it's good, does it really matter what the rating is?

IMO it's a lot more common to not find a tab for a song I want to learn than to find "too many".