Hiya guys, I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and have decided that it's time for me to get a new guitar.

Up until now, I've been playing a yamaha pacifica 612, and have been pretty pleased with it; But it doesn't have the capabilities that I would like, such as:

Locking tremolo
Thin fast neck
Pickups for getting heavier rock/metal tones.

I play mainly classic rock and metal, but occasionally some clean as well. I would like a guitar that's good for fast playing and stuff with the whammy bar, but can also get nice cleans.

I've had my eyes on ibanez guitars for a while now, and there seems to be so many different models, that I don't know where to begin.

My price limit is preferably between £600-£1000, so can anybody please suggest a good ibanez, or another similar guitar

Thanks
1570 with a pickup change sounds about right
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
For £600, I challenge you to not find a decent guitar with those specifications.

Ibanez or Jackson is what I would reccomend, but I'd reccomend Ibanez further.

If the thin fast neck isn't all that important to you, may I suggest the Mockingbird ST?
I was thinking about buying one, and it was only like £470.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I'd get an LTD Horizon, or spend a few hundred more and get an ESP Horizon FR II.

Coil-split should get you nice cleans, the necks are far better than any Ibanez or Jackson I've tried.
And it shreds!
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 15, 2009,
This
Mine is arriving in a couple of days and I'll be doing a review soon. Can't go wrong with 81/85, ebony fretboard and all the other spec stuff for this type of guitar.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Go with Horlicks, or go and get an S series Ibaenz.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
ESP Horizon all the way, man. You can't go wrong with them. Just make sure you know how to set up a trem before you start jamming.
Quote by Horlicks
I'd get an LTD Horizon, or spend a few hundred more and get an ESP Horizon FR II.
Coil-split should get you nice cleans, the necks are far better than any Ibanez or Jackson I've tried.

I went on the ESP website and it doesn't say they have a coil split.
Did they discontinue that feature?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
I went on the ESP website and it doesn't say they have a coil split.
Did they discontinue that feature?

Not to my knowledge, are you sure that isn't the EMG version?
RG550 and upwards, JS Models except for the cheaper one, or if you're really bomb you get a Fireman ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Despite what people say, the Ibanez Xiphos is ****ing sweet guitar that is right in your pricerange.

I have never had problems with it, I am still using shop set-up (minus a slight truss-rod adjustment) and am loving every second of it. It has a great feel to it and never goes outta tune.

If you don't like the Edge III Tremolo (they have given some people trouble) then you can replace it with an Edge Pro or Edge II (so I have heard).

Pic:
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Last edited by DEADwin at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by bornfidelity
JS Models except for the cheaper one, or if you're really bomb you get a Fireman ^^

The JS series and Fireman have Fender and Gibson style necks respectively, and neither have particularly high output pickups; not what he asked for at all. And you knew his budget, so no point suggesting the Fireman anyway >:0
... The Fireman doesn't even have a locking trem, man. It's exactly what he DOESN'T want. If you're going to reccomend something pricey and Paul Gilbertish to him, he'd much rather the PGM100RE >:0

And FYI the JS100 is perfectly usable :P

... sorry 'bout that. Letting off steam.

Try the Ibanezes I mentioned in my last post or perhaps some Jacksons within your price range.
Tbh if you see it, it's within your specs and isn't a Dean (whose quality control at the moment is currently subpar, but apparently improving), then it's probably ideal.

Edit @ DEADwin: The Edge III is no longer interchangeable with anything other than an OFR, and it doesn't really work fantastically when you do. The only thing the Xiphos has over its counterparts is the shape (a matter of opinion) and its fret count (only on one model, and are three extra notes really worth the Edge III you'd have to put up with?)
Last edited by Rock Pig at Feb 15, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']use tinypic you moron. We don't need pictures that big to slow down the forums

Yeah, that was pretty dumb of me.

I caught it though, and fixed it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
I love Ibanez RG guitars and they're perfect for what you want, though I'm not struck on those with a basswood body. A little over your budget but try an RG3270M

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=11245

Most of the 'S' series are also superb and very reasonably priced.

A great choice would be a Jackson SL3 at £749

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1258
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
There's nothing wrong with basswood whatsoever; it has a balanced, defined tone which is largely devoid of overtones producing a pleasingly "raw" sound which means most pickups will work a treat in it. It also suffers less of the tonal problems caused by locking trems if I'm not mistaken.
I didn't say it was a terrible wood to use, just that it wasn't really my thing. I generally prefer mahogany but it's personal preference.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Rock Pig

Edit @ DEADwin: The Edge III is no longer interchangeable with anything other than an OFR, and it doesn't really work fantastically when you do. The only thing the Xiphos has over its counterparts is the shape (a matter of opinion) and its fret count (only on one model, and are three extra notes really worth the Edge III you'd have to put up with?)

Were the older models shaped different so that other Tremolos could be fit in? I know that Muhammad from Necrophagist has an OFR in his, so I am assuming he has an older model. What problems arise when putting in the OFR? I planned on putting one in when I had some extra cash because all the talk of Edge IIIs crapping out (although mine works fine for now).
^They changed the rout a while ago so that when the knife edges on the Edge III wore out, they were irreplaceable; you had to buy another Ibanez, y'know?
And just to clear this up, the OFRs still fit in the new ones. Some people complain that they don't match the neck properly, but they're better than the Edge III at any rate. Tbh though, you're probably better off getting a better guitar; a locking tremolo bridge replacement is a lot of hassle and in the long run probably not worth it.
Quote by Doadman
I didn't say it was a terrible wood to use, just that it wasn't really my thing. I generally prefer mahogany but it's personal preference.

Mmkay, cool. Just making sure.
Quote by DEADwin
Yeah, that was pretty dumb of me.

I caught it though, and fixed it.

Awesome ****. better color too.
Thanks for all the great help, im still slightly unsure on a few things:

I also looked at the dean guitars with the floyd rose tremolo systems so what is different between these and the edge bridges?
Edge (and LoPro) are always very good tremolo systems, a LFR's quality will depend on brand and make. So you should try to get more information about the actualy Floyd Roses in those guitars (unless they're actually official floyds, then you're good anyway) ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by ShredFlame
Thanks for all the great help, im still slightly unsure on a few things:

I also looked at the dean guitars with the floyd rose tremolo systems so what is different between these and the edge bridges?

The Edges are just high quality licensed Floyd Roses; there's no significant difference in terms of specification. The Ibanez ZRs are completely different, but that only matters if you're buying an S series.
Normal trems pivot on knife edges; there's nothing wrong with these, but cheaper ones (thankfully not to be found on good trems such as Edge Pros) can wear down, ruining the trem's ability to return to its regular position over time, causing tuning stability issues.
The ZRs, however, pivot on ball bearings. They have pretty much flawless return to zero point and some say the trem feels smoother to use. If you have a guitar with a floating trem, you'll know that if you bend a note all the other strings go temporarily out of tune, preventing things like unison, oblique and double-stop bends. The ZR does not suffer from this affliction and furthermore if you break a string you'll be able to finish the rest of the song in tune. It's worth noting though, that the ball bearings require regular maintenance to keep them performing adequately, but if you can tolerate normal restringing and tuning for a Floyd Rose you shouldn't have any issues with this.

Edit: I should mention that in the case of the ZR, the trade off for stability is range; Edges and other conventional locking trems can dive lower and pull up higher. Try both and see if the difference feels particularly significant.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/ebay/horizoniifrstbc1.jpg
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/ebay/horizoniifrbkaq2.jpg

And it shreds!

These horizons sound just about right for what you're looking for. Plus their necks are sufficiently smooth and fast.

Alternatively, if you want a really heavy tone, try the EC-1000 FR
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-ec.html
A LP shaped LTD with a EMG, it'd defintiely get you that heavy tone. Plus it has a flyod rose and reasonably good upper register access.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 17, 2009,