Hey UG,
Does anyone know some good starting places on a seven band eq? I pretty lost in it...
It would be great to know a good starting point for death metalish sound, but any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Smoots
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Boost the lower and higher frequencies by one or two notches and keep the mids flat. This will give you a punchy sort of sound but you wont disappear from the mix if your playing with a band or recording because your mids aren't cut too much.

This would be a good starting point, just tweak it a little to find what you want.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Feb 15, 2009,
The best thing to do with an eq is put everything flat. Play a note, any note and boost one frequency all the way, see what it adds to your tone, then cut it all the way, see what it does to your tone. Then continue through all of the frequencies. Then think about which sounds you would like to cut out and which you would like to add and go from there. It's not an infallible system, because when you boost one frequency it affects adjacent bands, so it's going to be a little different, but through some further tweaking you should get a very nice sound. It's a lot of work, but if you write it down somewhere, it's a lot of work that doesn't need to be done more than once, because you're not finding a single tone, you're finding out what components will make the tone you like.
Thanks everyone. This is great.
Smoots
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Back in the day when people cared, I wrote these 2 blogs about EQing that everyone found to be very helpful. If you feel like sorting through a bunch of crap, feel free to check the blogs on my profile for the ones on equalizing. If you don't get a firm understanding of the practice after reading them, you're probably not cut out for EQing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Back in the day when people cared, I wrote these 2 blogs about EQing that everyone found to be very helpful. If you feel like sorting through a bunch of crap, feel free to check the blogs on my profile for the ones on equalizing. If you don't get a firm understanding of the practice after reading them, you're probably not cut out for EQing.

Thanks fitz. I'll read up on them soon.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM