I want to make a really nice solo, kinda like the second solo in Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb..

You guys have any idea on this one? Eg. sad sounding scales or a nice chord progression
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Comfortably numb has quit an aggressive attack in my opinion. It is melodic, yet heavy handed, with pinched harmonics and fairly fast playing.

Good string bending ( pre-bends, unison bends and wide vibrato)
Good vibrato (soulful with feeling)

These two things right here make good solo's!.....without vibrato and bending the guitar sounds boring in my opinion.
when you play a sad solo, make a sad face
when you play a happy solo make happy face!

simple!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Good Vibrato and Bends, and use a minor scale. Play from the heart...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Good phrasing and technique is all you need.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Think of something sad or calming, and just pour your heart into the solo, don't hold anything at it, use the guitar strings as vocal cords, let the emotion run out through the speakers.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by CliffIsAngry
when you play a sad solo, make a sad face
when you play a happy solo make happy face!

simple!

THIS lmao
Quote by SuperJoop

Good string bending ( pre-bends, unison bends and wide vibrato)
Good vibrato (soulful with feeling)

You mean:

Quote by SuperJoop

Good vibrato (soulful with feeling), not like Santana who thinks ultra-rapid vibrato sounds good.

Sorry, I like Santana but his vibrato becomes beyond noticeable and horrible to listen to.

tl;dr

Don't play like Santana.
I think it's interesting how he follows the title of the topic with a smiley face. Considering the topic is relating to "calm and sad" solos, doesn't that seem a bit odd?
Quote by -Blue-
I use a fair amount of reverb, play slowly and use vibrato. It also helps to be in a minor scale, think I used E minor last time.
Perfect reply here. Reverb, minor scales, vibrato. High five for Blue. Also, fitting name.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
It's all about the bends, oooh yeah.

But seriously, get a suiting chord progression, then play accordingly.
YOu can easily make a major scale very sad, which people sometimes don't think you can do.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
You mean:

Sorry, I like Santana but his vibrato becomes beyond noticeable and horrible to listen to.

tl;dr

Don't play like Santana.

thanks for modifying my post.
Quote by necrosis1193
Think of something sad or calming, and just pour your heart into the solo, don't hold anything at it, use the guitar strings as vocal cords, let the emotion run out through the speakers.

This. Everything in his post is pure gold, read it twice.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Minor scale, legato.
All you need. Then just let it come from the heart.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by ComradeIronMan
This. Everything in his post is pure gold, read it twice.

You are joking, right? I agree that if you believe in it enough, it will sound right, even if only to you. But to others it will sound like out-of-key noise. You can't just play a note and expect it to sound right, you have to know what key you're playing in. I think what the guy is asking for are scales and chords that sound somewhat melancholy.

I don't know a lot of scales so all I'm gonna recommend is the minor scale and any minor pentatonic scale.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
You are joking, right?

I was assuming had a passable knowledge of theory.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
I think I got it.. bends, vibrato, reverb, minor scale + a lot of emotion.. thanks a lot
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Do a bend, hold, Play other note, release slowly bend.
Like this:

e|------16------
B|---15b---15r--
G|--------------
D|--------------
A|--------------
E|--------------

Also, do lots of vibrato and big, slow bends
Feel the music
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist