Page 1 of 2
Hi UG,

I have £190 in the bank at the moment and am looking to replace my no-name 10 watt beginner amp.

I am in the middle of being a beginner/ intermediate player (I think) and am playing songs like 'The Poison', 'Tears Dont Fall' (BFMV) and 'Dying in your arms' (Trivium), so I will be needing a good distortion setting and I play some othe clean stuf so basicaly I need a good range of 'Quality' settings.

I have been looking at the Line6 Spider III 75 Watt amp which seems to have everything I need, loads of presets, records like a POD, Lots of ranges of sounds, Link a pedal up to it etc. But I was in a thread in the Pit earler and everyone seemed to be making the Line6 Spider amps to be rubbish So im just checking and If anyone has experiences with it please can you share.

I will only be using this for home use, so I dont need a bigger amp than 75W and if anybody has any other suggestions for a Rock/Metal amp for £190 Post Away.

Thanks in advance.

Liam
A Roland Cube, or one of the Vox AD series?

Personally I'd save up a lot more.

EDIT: DON'T GET THE SPIDER!
Peavey Vypyr 30, models the actual Amps that BFMV and Trivium use (6505 and Mesa Rectifiers), its only £149, you might want to save up and get the 75 for £100 more.

or

A Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL, I use one, it is quality, sounds great when I play Tears Dont Fall on it. You can buy it direct from PMT for £189, but I bought a 3 year shop warranty with it for an extra £30 Its awesome, massive, chunky, very heavy, and a 2 by 12, but distortion is good and lceans are awesome.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Feb 15, 2009,
A Peavey Vypyr 30 is a nice affordable amp that does metal well. Trust me, 30 watts are far more than you'll ever need at home and the Vypyr also sounds a lot better than the Spider 3. Vox Valvetronix amps like the VT30 are worth checking out, too, but many people prefer the Vypyr for metal.
Ok I'll have a look at those, and I doubt it will make much difference, But I can go to £200
Thanks so far!

EDIT: and rasons for not getting the Spider?
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 15, 2009,
Save up and get the peavy vypyr tube 60. It has a 6505 model on it which is what both trivium and bullet for my valentine are using right now. The 6505 model on the tube version of the vypyr sounds exactly like the real thing. It sounds decent on the solid state models also but not as realistic. One of the reasons is the tube power section on the vypyr is the exact same as the real 6505 with the same tubes in it. You can find this on peavys website. There are videos of trivium using their vypyrs for practice as well as bullet for my valentine if you type in trivium vypyr in youtube.
I've just looked at the Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube and its £475? If that the right price there is no chance of getting it, I only have a paper round and money isn't to easy to get,

Any others?
Digital tone.

Also they are chinese made, look flimsy and fall apart.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Peavey Vypyr 30, models the actual Amps that BFMV and Trivium use (6505 and Mesa Rectifiers), its only £149, you might want to save up and get the 75 for £100 more.

or

A Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL, I use one, it is quality, sounds great when I play Tears Dont Fall on it. You can buy it direct from PMT for £189, but I bought a 3 year shop warranty with it for an extra £30 Its awesome, massive, chunky, very heavy, and a 2 by 12, but distortion is good and lceans are awesome.

actually, BFMV & Trivium use the Vypyrs extensively for small time, on-the-bus jams.

I doubt Trivium put the Vypyr on the new CD, but there was a video on PVTV of them talking about it.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Ok then, so as I would be wanting an amp that will last, Spider's are out of the question Lol
Quote by liam-rooney
Ok then, so as I would be wanting an amp that will last, Spider's are out of the question Lol

If you want an amp that is going to last you a long time, it's worth saving for a tube amp.
Yea, I'd love to but I simply can't get enough money together, How much would a tube amp cost anyway?
Quote by liam-rooney
Yea, I'd love to but I simply can't get enough money together, How much would a tube amp cost anyway?

Well one that would be perfect for you is the Peavey 6505+ Combo coming out soon, and it will be priced at approximately $600.
I just typed that in on Google and its coming up with the price as £600 somehow, anyway I can't really save up much more anyway.

Does anyone know what the peavy sanpera I footswitch actually does and if its worth getting it for £50?
I can't really understand what it does, any help appreciated
Quote by GNRjungle87
Well one that would be perfect for you is the Peavey 6505+ Combo coming out soon, and it will be priced at approximately $600.

He lives in Britain though, so any American brands cost extra.

If going used is an option, a used Engl Screamer will cost you around 500 pounds, a used Thunder could be available for 400. Not everybody likes the thunder for metal though, you'd have to try it to find out if it works for you.

Bugera is an option, those are copies of high gain Peavey amps. They are pretty inexpensive, therefore you can get a new one for less than 500 quid:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_6260_212.htm

Personally, I'd take a Thunder or Screamer over a Bugera (or a Peavey) any day, I just like their sound better. That's preference though, you'll have to find out for yourself.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 15, 2009,
Sorr, but its not possible for me to really spend over £200 as I can't get the money together I like the look of the Vypyr 30 so I will consider it unless anyone has any bad points/ other amps I should look at.

Thanks
The Vypyr is your best choice for your budget. also it is worth to buy the sandera since if you don't have it you can't use the FX loop of the Vypyr. Also it makes it easier to switch between channels and different presets.

AND DO NOT BUY THE SPIDER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Everything else from line6 is good or even great stuff to use if you are good at tweaking stuff but stay away from the Spider 3. The Spider Valve is a totally different story trough. It's actually a nice modeling amp.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Feb 15, 2009,
Ok then, it looks like im going to go for the Vypyr 30, but is the distortion good, I can't find any videos on youtube with this amp using distortion
Quote by liam-rooney
Sorr, but its not possible for me to really spend over £200 as I can't get the money together I like the look of the Vypyr 30 so I will consider it unless anyone has any bad points/ other amps I should look at.

Thanks

Its known to be unreliable.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Its known to be unreliable.

How do you know. It's out for just a couple of month. and the line6 is even more unreliable. plus the spider only has 4 models while the Vypyr has tons of models.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by TheQuailman
Just go for the Vypyr 30 then. I have the feeling hscn2000 was maybe a tiny bit exaggerating anyway.

Understandable. I'd think that too honestly. I kept hearing they sounded like the real thing and did not believe it. I own 5150's and 6505's. Have played them for years. Have always wanted a smaller tube combo that sounded like it. It sounds dead on. Check peavys website too btw. It had the same power amp as the 6505. So you are getting the exact same 6505 power amp and sound. The only difference is the preamp. And they got spot on with their pre amp. I mean you cannot tell. As a matter of fact I will upload clips. I have 6505 vs vypyr tube clips. You can't tell the difference.
Whoa, I heard that they did a good job modeling the high gain Peaveys with the hybrid Vypyrs, but that sounds pretty insane. I'll definitely have to give them a try some day.
None of those clips (youtube) are of the 30W, its the 75W then the 15W, will the 30W be the smae?
Quote by TheQuailman
Whoa, I heard that they did a good job modeling the high gain Peaveys with the hybrid Vypyrs, but that sounds pretty insane. I'll definitely have to give them a try some day.

The solid state ones sound decent. I mean they are good practice amps but the power section with the tubes on the tube version really makes it a lot different. And it just gives it that realistic feel. So if a solid state has a good 6505 model it is never going to sound or feel like it because so much of the 6505 is the power section. So with this it has the same power section. So like I said it sounds like it and feels like it. I'm still really impressed with this thing.
Quote by liam-rooney
None of those clips (youtube) are of the 30W, its the 75W then the 15W, will the 30W be the smae?

the 30 watt sounds better than the 15 watt. It has a great distortion. The rec model and 6505 sound damn good. Like I said.. it's not the tube version but for that range of amps it's the best. You'll have no problems playing the style you want.
Quote by liam-rooney
Ok I'll have a look at those, and I doubt it will make much difference, But I can go to £200
Thanks so far!

EDIT: and rasons for not getting the Spider?

They sound way too digital.

Buy a Vypyr, they have tons of effects and you can record with them (Aux out), Most people prefer them for metal.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Oh, so its like (im sorry) the Spider where you can use it like the recording Pod? Because that was one of the main selling ponts of the spider so if They have it on the Vypyr 30 im sold
And what are the features in the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL, I looked on the website and cant really find anything, does it have better quality that the Vypyr or should I just stick with the Vypyr?
I'm pretty sure they do..
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by liam-rooney
And what are the features in the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL, I looked on the website and cant really find anything, does it have better quality that the Vypyr or should I just stick with the Vypyr?

The Valvetronix has a tube preamp stage, which means it models the amps more accurately than the Vypyr.

And the Vypyrs apparently go really dodgy and break,making squealy noises, and the noise gate is permamently on, which is annoying, the Vox has adjustable noise gate.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
The Valvetronix has a tube preamp stage, which means it models the amps more accurately than the Vypyr.

And the Vypyrs apparently go really dodgy and break,making squealy noises, and the noise gate is permamently on, which is annoying, the Vox has adjustable noise gate.

The first part is not correct. Vox modellers have a solid state preamp and have a mini power stage made basically out of a 12AX7 tube and a small transformer. It is exclusively responsible for modelling the sound of power stages (the actual power stage of the Vox is ss though). The tube has nothing to do with the modelled pre amps. The argument is flawed anyway, because there are excellent, accurate modeling amps like the Vetta or Zentera which don't use tubes at all.

The second point: I don't recall the Vypyrs squealing or being too noisy. I can't comment on the reliability though because I don't own one. But they seemed solid to me.
Ok, So would people genrally go with the 30W Peavy Vypyr or the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL? I can afford both so its just down to which one will suit my playing (metal) better?

Thanks
Vypyr is better for metal.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Do you have a chance to try them both out? Because I can't tell which I like better myself, I'd have to compare them next to each other to decide. Basically, it comes down to taste now.
Page 1 of 2