I was thinking of getting either a Gretsch electromatic or a Fender Strat, I'm leaning towards the Strat, but will it be able to go from jangly Stone Roses-esque shimmering cleans, to a decent Metallica-esque distortion?,

Also do you guys think the Gretsch would be a better choice? I don't play much metal, but I do play a good amount of Hard Rock like Deep Purple, Aerosmith etc. However I do want want a guitar that can get an ok metal distortion if I need it.
get a Fat Strat. Hum-sing-sing configuration. Having three single coils will kill your chances of getting a decent distorted sound, should you need it.
This is my best suggestion:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-102807864-i1168160.gc

It has the hum-sing-sing (HSS) pickup config, AND it has the S-1 switching system for added versatility. I've tried them out many times before, and I would get one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

EDIT: If you don't like mahogany, consider this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-515747-i1385893.gc

Same thing, different wood, no S-1 system. Great guitar though.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 15, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']get a Fat Strat. Hum-sing-sing configuration. Having three single coils will kill your chances of getting a decent distorted sound, should you need it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-102807864-i1168160.gc

It has the hum-sing-sing (HSS) pickup config, AND it has the S-1 switching system for added versatility. I've tried them out many times before, and I would get one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-515747-i1385893.gc

Viccy speaks the truth.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Go Strat.
Although, I do like using my Strat for gain every now and then. Works quite nicely.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
You can get nearly anything you want out of an S-S-S strat if you know how to use it properly.

I can't stand the notion of a humbucker on a strat. Pointless. The 2 and 4 positions on strats are hum cancelling 99% of the time anyway.

Just get an american standard.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
You can get nearly anything you want out of an S-S-S strat if you know how to use it properly.

I can't stand the notion of a humbucker on a strat. Pointless. The 2 and 4 positions on strats are hum cancelling 99% of the time anyway.

Just get an american standard.

Couldn't agree more. I can't seem to like HSS strats, and I tried some even before I got mine.

The SSS configuration is pretty versatile, and you can get some very nice hard/classic rock tones out of it without much trouble.

The regular American Strat will sound great for the things you want, IMO...
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Quote by JRC7391
I can't seem to like HSS strats

Neither can I. I just hate them unexplainably.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
The question comes back to you - Are you versatile enough to make that s/s/s strat walk the walk? The potential is there if you can squeeze it out-many are called,but few are chosen.
Quote by Phat-O-Caster
The question comes back to you - Are you versatile enough to make that s/s/s strat walk the walk? The potential is there if you can squeeze it out-many are called,but few are chosen.

Exactly.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by JA91
I was thinking of getting either a Gretsch electromatic or a Fender Strat, I'm leaning towards the Strat, but will it be able to go from jangly Stone Roses-esque shimmering cleans, to a decent Metallica-esque distortion?,

Also do you guys think the Gretsch would be a better choice? I don't play much metal, but I do play a good amount of Hard Rock like Deep Purple, Aerosmith etc. However I do want want a guitar that can get an ok metal distortion if I need it.

Is this even a serious question?? Is the strat versitile enough......????

id say so.

maybe im biased ive got one. hey i get get some kick ass distortion from mine if i want to.
well the american HSS strat would be Okey Dokey, but a used flying V would be good.They can do almost anything.Clean, deep bassey, grungey,rock,hard rock, metal.
For about the same price as that mahogany special, you could get an American Deluxe HSS. Features two noiseless single coils, a humbucker, locking tuners, and a roller nut. I like mine.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']get a Fat Strat. Hum-sing-sing configuration. Having three single coils will kill your chances of getting a decent distorted sound, should you need it.

Jimi Hendrix is rolling in his grave right now.
Quote by cmalmo4
Strat's are not that sweet.
I'll make whiskey sours all day long and well into the night on any one of my strats and savor every sip
I'd say try the Fat Strat, I have a American Standard and although it plays a variety of beautiful tones, it cannot play the hot gainy tones of a humbucker. Try one and see what you think.
A Fender HSS strat is one of THE most versatile guitars on the planet. I don't know if it's the 07 or 08 american standards, or if it's just the american deluxe strats that have the S1 switching system (as mentioned above), but get one with the s1 if you can cause it will give you oodles of different pickup combinations.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Never really liked HSS Strats.

Personally my SSS Standard MIA Strat can do some gain, but I don't play with much gain anyways.

If you want, get a humbucker. The HSS will be better than the Gretsch, I think. At least, for metal.