Thoughts/opinions?

I know the higher end Tokai's are meant to rival Gibsons but what about this model?

I've been looking for a white V for aaaages but not a fan of the gibson/epiphone models, theres something weird about the shoulders on them....

Anyways, if anyone has played or owns the Tokai FV40 (or similar) I'd love to hear some thoughts about it?

Cheers muchly
No, but I can recommend Tokai to anyone, but only the Japanese-made ones. Some people are disillusioned that the Epiphone sounds close to a real Gibson. When people try to tell me this I start to question their hearing, as a musician.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
No, but I can recommend Tokai to anyone, but only the Japanese-made ones. Some people are disillusioned that the Epiphone sounds close to a real Gibson. When people try to tell me this I start to question their hearing, as a musician.

There are 2 things wrong with what you said. The first is that some high end Epiphones do indeed sound better than low end Gibsons. Also, Epiphones do sound like 'real' Gibsons, they just occasionally use lower quality parts. If you were to switch out the stock pickups on an Epiphone, I'm sure you could get a guitar that sounds as good or better than a 'real' Gibson. The Gibson legacy is kaput, their quality control has gone to hell, and they're still riding the wave of their old reputation.
Secondly, Metalcore does not suck (from your sig), you simply don't like it. Just because you prefer something else doesn't mean that it is bad, the world does not revolve around you.

As for Tokais, it's really hit and miss, if I remember correctly. As with most Japanese or Korean made instruments, there are some exceptional ones, and some terrible ones, the consistency is not great. If you're going to buy any guitar though, you should go to a store and try it out first, that way you get the feel of it, and you can tell whether it works for you or not.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by muse-ik
There are 2 things wrong with what you said. The first is that some high end Epiphones do indeed sound better than low end Gibsons. Also, Epiphones do sound like 'real' Gibsons, they just occasionally use lower quality parts. If you were to switch out the stock pickups on an Epiphone, I'm sure you could get a guitar that sounds as good or better than a 'real' Gibson. The Gibson legacy is kaput, their quality control has gone to hell, and they're still riding the wave of their old reputation.
Secondly, Metalcore does not suck (from your sig), you simply don't like it. Just because you prefer something else doesn't mean that it is bad, the world does not revolve around you.

Sorry, my sig is my space on this site for my opinions. And I've played loads of Epiphones in guitar shops, I want them to sound nice, I would love to have an LP-sounding guitar for dirt cheap. It just never happens, they feel tacky to hold and horrible to listen to. Maybe it's just my frame of mind that just because I know it's going to fall apart - it must sound sh*t. Who knows?
woah woah fellas...Every thread I start seems to end up in an Epiphone war haha

Anyways, Its tricky for me to go and play a tokai FV as I cant think of anywhere locally that stocks a decent amount of Tokai's full stop, never mind a sexy V model. So thats why I'm jsut trying to get a general opinion.
Cheers for le replies though guys
Quote by muse-ik

As for Tokais, it's really hit and miss, if I remember correctly. As with most Japanese or Korean made instruments, there are some exceptional ones, and some terrible ones, the consistency is not great. If you're going to buy any guitar though, you should go to a store and try it out first, that way you get the feel of it, and you can tell whether it works for you or not.

In my experience, quality control on Japanese made instruments is second to none, as is Korean higher end stuff. You only really have issues on the lower end Korean made stuff, because of its very nature.

Anyways, I like all of the Tokai's that I've played, especially the Japanese ones. They don't make the cheaper models in Korea anymore, they're made in China and aren't quite as nifty, IMO. However, the Japanese models are Gibson beaters on occassion but always alot more bang for buck. Especially if you switch out the pups.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ +1

Quote by muse-ik

Korea, maybe. Japan, no. Japanese QC is second to none.

anyway, that FV40 is not a Japanese one. If you're expecting a Gibson-beater, you might be disappointed. However, if it's either that or a (non-MIJ/Elitist) Epiphone, then it'd be worth a try as it could be as nice as the Epiphone for less cash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?