I have a lot of guitarist friends, good and crap, and I sort of have one. They get so scared and make a massive deal out of when they need a setup. Say, when the strings are too high.. They make a huge deal out of it, being extra extra careful when adjusting the truss rod. But there is no big deal which is what I don't understand. You just shove the Allen key in there, and turn it no more than a quarter of a movement at a time in one direction, depending on low/high strings... They make a massive deal, and I just don't understand why.. Its not as if they have good guitars (none are proper quality like 1000 plus) and its not as if they aren't going to be careful anyways...

Can you guys enlighten me?

EDIT: Also, they take it to the shop to do this, and pay lots, why can't you just do it at home for free...
Last edited by NazzzMannn at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by jake_the_pake
I'm lost as to what your point is?

Why do people in general make a massive fuss over setups, ie going to the shop, paying to adjust strings etc.
well, setup seems daunting at first - i actually was like this until i got to practice at college on some cheap crappy guitars that were there for people to practice setups on.

It's a useful skill to have, i think some people probably like their guitars to be perfect and as a result want to do the best job of the setup that they can, and take it a bit too seriously. I think it's necessary to learn to set up your own guitars - that way you can get any guitar just right for you within a matter of minutes.

edit: beginners usually think they'll mess something up if they do the setup themselves, and lets face it, if you don't know what you're doing, it is probably best not to try to do it yourself - that's where shops come in. I do all my setups and replace parts myself, but wiring modifications i rely on these shops to do because i'm just crap with a soldering iron - i mean, as stupid as it sounds, i am an epic failure when it comes to soldering
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 15, 2009,
honestly... I have no idea, I have set up all of my guitars personally, from online tutorials, and things have worked out fine for me

possibly they dont have penises
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
I bought and read Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar PLayer Repair Guide" revised version and it helped me learn more. That and some web research as well. I agree that you should learn to do your own setups. Most things don't require great skills, just knowledge, basic tools and a little patience. Some things I draw the line at myself though! Refretting & Fret dressing as there is no going back once you've screwed it up. I'm also avoiding nut work right now because I don't have the specialized tools required to do a proper job which would cost me well over $100.00
Moving on.....
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
honestly... I have no idea, I have set up all of my guitars personally, from online tutorials, and things have worked out fine for me

possibly they dont have penises

i could argue that you have no penis if you have to use online tutorials because the setup is usually fairly self-explanatory, unless you have something like a fender jazzmaster (that one took me a few weeks...)

i think the reason people pay for setups is because they don't really trust themselves to do it properly, or they think a trained professional will be able to give them a better setup, although this doesn't completely apply to variables like the action.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i could argue that you have no penis if you have to use online tutorials because the setup is usually fairly self-explanatory, unless you have something like a fender jazzmaster (that one took me a few weeks...)

i think the reason people pay for setups is because they don't really trust themselves to do it properly, or they think a trained professional will be able to give them a better setup, although this doesn't completely apply to variables like the action.

I could argue that your penis is inverted, because, I guess setting up a Floyd Rose, is really self explanatory.......... my bad

**** I wish I would have explained to myself how to make a truss rod adjustment
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
No idea.

I prefer setups by myself considerably, they are set to how I like them, not how the tech thinks I like them.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by KenG
I bought and read Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar PLayer Repair Guide" revised version and it helped me learn more. That and some web research as well. I agree that you should learn to do your own setups. Most things don't require great skills, just knowledge, basic tools and a little patience. Some things I draw the line at myself though! Refretting & Fret dressing as there is no going back once you've screwed it up. I'm also avoiding nut work right now because I don't have the specialized tools required to do a proper job which would cost me well over $100.00

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?