OK Pit, I'm in a spot of trouble and need some help.

I decided, hey I'll go to the University of Texas for college next year. Filled out the application, applied... Then, I Founnd some awesome roommates to room with in an apartment; basically, it looks like everything is going to turn out perfect with parties every other night.

But lo and behold, here comes a problem. My parents have decided they do not want me going there. Why? They want me to go to some place cheaper. So, I also applied to several other places; most are offering to half-tuition, but there is this one liberal arts college in Utah offering full-tuition, and it looks decent, I suppose.

I want to be a doctor, so I'm worried about getting the best education possible; however, most of the doctors I've talked to in town say that your first four years really don't matter. Hell, some of them went to a community college for two years.

So, I need help deciding. Which one should I go to? Why? Do the first four years really matter?

tl;dr
Now if I go to college in Utah (for free basically), I will be paired with a random roommate and have to make new friends and all that jazz. I go to the University of Texas in Austin, I party and never look back while incurring a lot of debt.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Go to UT. You'll have no problem paying off your tuition after you get your medical license.
When you become a doctor, your Bachelor's degree isn't that important. What matters is your post-graduate degrees, namely, of course, your doctorate. Would you be able to afford within reasonable means the Texas Uni, or would it be out of the question? College is a lot more fun with friends.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by EtherealAmateur

I decided, hey I'll go to the University of Texas for college next year. Filled out the application, applied... Then, I Founnd some awesome roommates to room with in an apartment; basically, it looks like everything is going to turn out perfect with parties every other night.

But lo and behold, here comes a problem. My parents have decided they do not want me going there. Why? They want me to go to some place cheaper. So, I also applied to several other places; most are offering to half-tuition, but there is this one liberal arts college in Utah offering full-tuition, and it looks decent, I suppose.

I want to be a doctor, so I'm worried about getting the best education possible; however, most of the doctors I've talked to in town say that your first four years really don't matter. Hell, some of them went to a community college for two years.

So, I need help deciding. Which one should I go to? Why? Do the first four years really matter?

tl;dr
Now if I go to college in Utah (for free basically), I will be paired with a random roommate and have to make new friends and all that jazz. I go to the University of Texas in Austin, I party and never look back while incurring a lot of debt.

If you're really serious about wanting to go to med school, you'll probably have less time to party after the first year than you think. I'd take Utah, and spare myself the debt in the future.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Would you be able to afford within reasonable means the Texas Uni, or would it be out of the question? College is a lot more fun with friends.

I'd have basically no help from my parents paying for college; I've also never had a job before. =/ So basically I really have no clue what I am up against.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
college is there to make friends anyway ... and i dont find too many people who major in wantiing to become a doctor having much time to party
To be honest, I'd go with Utah. Sure as soon as you have your medical license you will make the money back to pay for Texas, but that's not an excuse to waste money. Things happen, and plus, once you are done with school you will technically have extra money.
The person that gave you that advice isn't very smart financially. (It's my current major BTW )
There is absolutely no valid reason to put yourself in debt, on the assumption that in 8 years you will be successful. A lot of **** can happen in 8 years.

Also, I'd stay away from University of Texas, because you mentioned something about partying. If you are looking at being a doctor and getting into a nice school in the future, since it's where you finish that matters, then any place you want to go to because you can "party" pretty much means you shouldn't go there.
Last edited by montyburns at Feb 15, 2009,
You'll make friends and probably have a good time reguardless of you go. I'd stick to Utah. If you want to be a doctor you'll likely have at least 4 years of grad school and you'll need the money for that.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Thanks, everyone for the quick, serious responses.

Before I commit to going to Utah, I just want to know will I have any trouble getting into a graduate school with a Bachelor's degree from a smaller college?
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
^You're probably better off at Utah, it's still a pretty big college and a good school. UT has over 40000 people (I think, could be more) and it's a pretty hard school to get into. The competition will be cutthroat there.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by EtherealAmateur
Thanks, everyone for the quick, serious responses.

Before I commit to going to Utah, I just want to know will I have any trouble getting into a graduate school with a Bachelor's degree from a smaller college?

You will have absolutely NO problem if you make good grades and take smart classes. (NOT art, P.E., etc.. take classes that relate and benefit your knowledge in the area)

I was considering going to Law school a short time ago, and most of them care about that rather than the school. Any school that is accredited is fine.
The undergrad school you attend won't affect your hireablity, but it damn well will affect how much professional schools want you. Go to some unknown university and no one will want you for med school.

That's my personal experience anyway. I graduated with high honors, did well on my GREs, was president of my major's honors society (as well as being heavily involved in other activities in my field) and no grad schools really wanted me because my undergrad was at a podunk school that didn't have a prestigious reputation.

Your work doesn't speak for itself, or at least not as loudly as the name of the university you went to.
The school matters in that your GPA will be considered in the context of your school. Professional schools know that a 3.7 at Princeton isn't the same as a 3.7 at Harvard, etc., so make sure to do your very best if it's a school that isn't renowned for its academic rigor.
what is the name of the school in Utah
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by TagRingo
what is the name of the school in Utah

Seems to be an uber small college. Westminster College

I don't particularly care for football =\
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
Quote by EtherealAmateur

tl;dr

what kind of doctors have youve been talking to? im a ChemE major and i have a lot of classes with premeds. in order for those premeds to get into a good med school they have to have the highest grades out of everyone in the class i mean everyone, to the point that they will actually give the wrong information for the course so you can **** up and they will get the better grades. every year in college counts especially in the science and engineering departments.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Quote by potcorn56
what kind of doctors have youve been talking to? im a ChemE major and i have a lot of classes with premeds. in order for those premeds to get into a good med school they have to have the highest grades out of everyone in the class i mean everyone, to the point that they will actually give the wrong information for the course so you can **** up and they will get the better grades. every year in college counts especially in the science and engineering departments.

I've talked to a neurosurgeon, 4 anesthesiologists, a pharmacologist, and a couple of others who fields didn't particularly appeal to me . My parents are both nurses, so talking to doctors wasn't too hard.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
Quote by tall saint
The school matters in that your GPA will be considered in the context of your school. Professional schools know that a 3.7 at Princeton isn't the same as a 3.7 at Harvard, etc., so make sure to do your very best if it's a school that isn't renowned for its academic rigor.

what? princeton and harvard are both two of the best schools in the world. your post is fail
Quote by EtherealAmateur
I've talked to a neurosurgeon, 4 anesthesiologists, a pharmacologist, and a couple of others who fields didn't particularly appeal to me . My parents are both nurses, so talking to doctors wasn't too hard.

you're missing my point dont go to a school just to party and waste you money. premed is no joke, you have to understand that you must take multiple chem, bio, math courses not only do you have to pass them in order to get into a good med school you basically have to get all A's in them especially organic chem, some med schools require premeds to have no less than an A in that class, which organic chem is a very tough course. so think wisely before you go to a school just for partying and if you just want to party than go into business or accounting the highest math they have to take is calc (they dont even discuss limits in that class).
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
what are your half tuition options, small liberal arts schools seem a lot like high school all over again, plus they can screw you over, or at least the one i went to before tennessee-knoxville did, plus everything just seem betters at larger schools...
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Quote by EtherealAmateur

tl;dr

Are you ****ing serious?
Quote by captaincrunk
You are a slave who is looking for a master, and I hope he beats you.

Quote by rmr024
Toaster ovens are fucking amazing, I don't really see where you were going with that...
Quote by jp58
what are your half tuition options, small liberal arts schools seem a lot like high school all over again, plus they can screw you over, or at least the one i went to before tennessee-knoxville did, plus everything just seem betters at larger schools...

Oklahoma State University, University of Oklahoma , Louisiana State University... But the out-of-state fees will rape me, so I'd be better off going to UT.

I wouldn't party that much, lol. I fluctuate from second to third in my class, and I'm fairly confident that I can balance everything.

Yes, I'm ****ing serious lol. I don't exactly have unlimited funds. Liberal arts seems to be very, vague and is used to describe many colleges, but I don't know wtf it means.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by EtherealAmateur at Feb 15, 2009,
liberal arts basically means that a majority of the classes/majors offered are in non-job related classes, such as history, english, psychology, foreign languages, etc... and not like nursing, math, science, engineering, physics, business, etc

basically the opposite of what any pre-proffessional student needs

also partying too much will kill the gpa and scholarship opportunities

and remember your still getting half off, it makes the playing field pretty even if you do the math, i got halfsies at ut-k and a better scholarship at APSU, but utk is still cheaper, gotta look into things like tuition caps, housing, food, books etc
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Quote by XyphR
what? princeton and harvard are both two of the best schools in the world. your post is fail

I'm sorry. What are you trying to tell me?

Harvard is known for grade inflation. Princeton is known for grade deflation (though they've introduced a new policy recently). Professional/graduate schools are aware of this; therefore, a 3.7 at Princeton is more impressive than a 3.7 at Harvard.

This applies to all schools though, not just the Ivy League. McGill University in Montreal, for example, is known for having very difficult science courses. I've heard stories of grad schools effectively adding 0.4 during the admissions process to an applicant's GPA if they are coming from a McGill science concentration.

Your post is fail.
Quote by metaldud536
It matters where you finish not where you start.

this is probably the wisest thing i have read on ug.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.