Hey well I've never really looked into pedals until now. So I was thinking since i'll probably need some in the near future, which ones should I get?

So basically, what are some basic guitar pedals that I should get? Distortion? Delay? Chourus?
IMO;

Wah, dist/OD/fuzz(depends on genre, though getting some of each is good too) and chorus.

Others may disagree though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Well, uh....take a trip to the stickies and read how to make a thread...

Then come back and tell us what your budget is and what amp you have and what genres you play.

/toooftenrepeatedjibberish.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Wah, distortion, delay, and maybe some kind of modulation.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Most people get wah and distortion first.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Last edited by cavalier14 at Feb 15, 2009,
Most people get distortion first as the Cavalier guy said.

I'd recommend getting something that can change the way you play though -- get you in a whole different sound/mood/feel. This experimentation improves your playing.

A phaser, wah, or delay.

Then get a nice tube amp and an OD pedal! Screw OD pedals without tube amps!
A wah, everything else is too dependent on your needs. Wah is a good place to start...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by necrosis1193
Wah, dist/OD/fuzz(depends on genre, though getting some of each is good too) and chorus.

That's the way I went
A distortion or an OD, unless your happy with your amp's, a reverb and/or a delay, a wah, a chorus.

That's how I'd go.
Start out with a delay and chorus. THose are the two I use most of the time if I have a pedal on. Those are probably your most widely used effects outside of reverb and gain, which should come from your amp anyway.

Next is a wah and flanger for me. I don't use my wah much , I am not very good with a wah, but I do like my flanger. I use it at times with my clean channel. Gives chords a nice modulation.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Or, you could wait until you actually have a use for pedals, and then buy what you need.

Kind of stupid to buy something because you don't have it, IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Musical frog
Get a digitech RP200 it's a multi effects pedal for under a hundred that has tons of effects.

Wow...um...just wow. Suggesting a multi-FX unit is one thing, but out of all of them, a Digitech? Wow. I think I may cry.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Wow...um...just wow. Suggesting a multi-FX unit is one thing, but out of all of them, a Digitech? Wow. I think I may cry.

Why not? The TS has never had pedals/effects before, so why the hell would he spend a lot of money on a multi effects unit? I'd get something cheap as hell too, just so I could learn what each effect sounds like. Pretty much any multi-effects pedal is going to be **** anyway, unless you want to spend a lot of money (ex. Line 6 M13 - $500), so why would he waste his money?

If anything at all, he should get this. It's about learning, not having a nice looking sig.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
Why not? The TS has never had pedals/effects before, so why the hell would he spend a lot of money on a multi effects unit? I'd get something cheap as hell too, just so I could learn what each effect sounds like. Pretty much any multi-effects pedal is going to be **** anyway, unless you want to spend a lot of money (ex. Line 6 M13 - $500), so why would he waste his money?

If anything at all, he should get this. It's about learning, not having a nice looking sig.

i usually find it much more helpful to hear someone using a good quality pedal correctly (such as Andy from PGS) or hearing one in a song (basically any and all wah parts).

having a low quality effect and not knowing how to use it, even with tweaking, is a bad way to get into effects in my opinion.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i usually find it much more helpful to hear someone using a good quality pedal correctly (such as Andy from PGS) or hearing one in a song (basically any and all wah parts).

having a low quality effect and not knowing how to use it, even with tweaking, is a bad way to get into effects in my opinion.

If he buys a $100 multi-effects pedal, he gets to try out a ton of different sounds from his favourite guitarists, and experiment with the sounds he likes. It doesn't really matter what it sounds like when you're learning anyway. He can sell it for $60 when he wants to upgrade. $40 for a few months worth of experimenting is a very reasonable price IMO.

Or he could buy a $100 Tubescreamer and be accepted by UG.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
If he buys a $100 multi-effects pedal, he gets to try out a ton of different sounds from his favourite guitarists, and experiment with the sounds he likes. It doesn't really matter what it sounds like when you're learning anyway. He can sell it for $60 when he wants to upgrade. $40 for a few months worth of experimenting is a very reasonable price IMO.

Or he could buy a $100 Tubescreamer and be accepted by UG.

<.<

>.>

*see's no tubescreamer in my rig*

so thats why UG has never accepted me......

but down to it, it is just a matter of personal taste. there is nothing wrong with the hands-on way of learning effects. when i first got my "serious" amp (behringer GMX series.... ) i played around with the on-board processor. it wasnt a bad way to get into the world of effects, but i never really knew how to get the most out of what i had. once i really started focusing on the certain dynamics for each effect, how different artists use them, listening to a high quality unit isolated and put to the test by someone who could get the most out of it, then i knew how to make them shine.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
<.<

>.>

*see's no tubescreamer in my rig*

so thats why UG has never accepted me......

but down to it, it is just a matter of personal taste. there is nothing wrong with the hands-on way of learning effects. when i first got my "serious" amp (behringer GMX series.... ) i played around with the on-board processor. it wasnt a bad way to get into the world of effects, but i never really knew how to get the most out of what i had. once i really started focusing on the certain dynamics for each effect, how different artists use them, listening to a high quality unit isolated and put to the test by someone who could get the most out of it, then i knew how to make them shine.

Haha. I certainly acknowledge the fact that there are other ways to go about diving into the world of pedals/effects than just buying a multi-fx (i never had one), which is why I initially suggested that the TS not buy anything at all, until he became familiar with some of the stuff. Generally when people say "so i've never really looked into pedals before, what should i buy", it means that they should do more research before handing out their hard earned cash, which is where my defense of the Digitech multi-effects came into play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
Haha. I certainly acknowledge the fact that there are other ways to go about diving into the world of pedals/effects than just buying a multi-fx (i never had one), which is why I initially suggested that the TS not buy anything at all, until he became familiar with some of the stuff. Generally when people say "so i've never really looked into pedals before, what should i buy", it means that they should do more research before handing out their hard earned cash, which is where my defense of the Digitech multi-effects came into play.

yeah, for sure. i'm in full agreeance to doing as much research as possible before shelling out any (especially if hard-earned) cash. i'm down to half of my first pedal purchase, and that will slowly turn into only one of the original 4 that i purchased.