Hey guys.

For the past 4 months I have been trying to teach myself how to shred on the side of everything else I did. I can get something that is pretty decent, but it is still no true shredding. Most of it is just messing around with the Pentatonic Minor scale, tapping, and picking chromatic patterns going up the neck on one string.

What are some licks, patterns, or scales I should learn for better shredding? I am aiming for a Yngwie style of shredding to add in along with the other stuff I do, I don't have a lot of variety in my shredding.

*I know the Harmonic Minor scale, so if you know any licks in that scale, post them.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
You can't just learn how to shred, it's more of a process.
It's not only learning different techniques but also knowing how and where you can use them to spice up your own playing, that last bit is hard to teach, it really comes down to you then.
But of course, you're nowhere without the right technique..
If you're in for a challenge, youtube Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen (the tab is available here at UG). That got me going at first..
And I think I got something you'd like, I'll pm it
Lol this is like a PM shop now.

I am experimenting with Arpeggios from Hell and am using that song as an example.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I can already shred (Check my skills if you wanna see, not much shredding now, but im adding more) but could you PM me what your Pming them?

I check ur shredding stuff, how is that gonna help do serious shredding. It's just random notes played fast, who wants to listen to that on his ipod?

TS let it come natural, shredding may seem cool now, but noone wants too hear you play random exercises. Shredding just comes natural. I know people who don't play shred based music, but because they have played for years, they can play the occasional complex runs.

IF you really wanna shred, then start making up shred song which are interesting. In 10 years I Wanna hear new good shredders with music, and not just exercises machines.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^^I know, it does come naturally, but I need some more things to base it off of because mine currently doesn't have a big variety.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore
^^I know, it does come naturally, but I need some more things to base it off of because mine currently doesn't have a big variety.

Well, why do you wanna shred? Do you feel that the amount of notes you currently play don't fit with the concept/idea in ur head?

If you really have cool ideas in ur head, then learn music theory too see what works, and learn "Shredsongs" that you wanna corporate ideas from and practice that against a metronome.

You will expand ur musicality, ur technique, and you will learn various rhythmic approaches too make shred sound "interesting".

+ at the end of the day you learned a cool song.

You must understand; all the people that are "Famous shredders" Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, Petrucci etc. made their best albums when they were around 30 years of age, and spent at least 10 years too get at the level they are now (Fact is Satriani recorded his first (solo) album after 15 years of playing! (and Petrucci made his first instrumental/shred solo album just recently at the age of 37)

Then I see all these people here, who play to a metronome all day, whining that they aren't "supershred" after like 2/3 years of guitarplaying, and they come ask why and how they can learn too shred better. .

It's like you want to make a world record in athletics with just 5 years of practice. .

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well, why do you wanna shred? Do you feel that the amount of notes you currently play don't fit with the concept/idea in ur head?

If you really have cool ideas in ur head, then learn music theory too see what works, and learn "Shredsongs" that you wanna corporate ideas from and practice that against a metronome.

You will expand ur musicality, ur technique, and you will learn various rhythmic approaches too make shred sound "interesting".

+ at the end of the day you learned a cool song.

You must understand; all the people that are "Famous shredders" Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, Petrucci etc. made their best albums when they were around 30 years of age, and spent at least 10 years too get at the level they are now (Fact is Satriani recorded his first (solo) album after 15 years of playing! (and Petrucci made his first instrumental/shred solo album just recently at the age of 37)

Then I see all these people here, who play to a metronome all day, whining that they aren't "supershred" after like 2/3 years of guitarplaying, and they come ask why and how they can learn too shred better. .

It's like you want to make a world record in athletics with just 5 years of practice. .

I just want to learn how to shred for fun. The music I play doesn't involve shredding much at all, I am learning it for fun.

I am just going to keep experimenting and will see what I can do.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore
I just want to learn how to shred for fun. The music I play doesn't involve shredding much at all, I am learning it for fun.

I am just going to keep experimenting and will see what I can do.

In that case just learn shred based songs.

It's like saying I paint landscapes, but I will paint a Mona Lisa for fun...

"good" technical guitar is admired and not a walk in the park.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 15, 2009,